American Couple Arrested in Cabarete

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I don't know the answer because i don't know who the people are, nor what their background is. Initially, i thought they were tourists, and if so, how would they know it was illegal to go swimming when there was nothing posted anywhere...even i didn't know it was illegal to go swimming and i live here.

Someone said they should have known Spanish, and hence, understood updates on their phone.

Another person said they should have been watching Dominican news in Spanish--and understood it--even though i doubt they mentioned that it was illegal to go into the water.

Another person suggested that they should have "researched" Dominican laws before coming down here....as if there is anyway to research what the laws of a Hurricane protocol will be.

The absurdity level here with expats and people who do not live here is through the roof sometimes.

I guess one of the things that makes it so funny and absurd to live here is that rules and laws are enforced arbitrarily. Barring murder or getting caught with a car load of drugs, you can pay your way out of almost anything here. It's glorious sometimes. The absurd stories would fill up all of the mainframe computer space on this DR1 site.

I don't know about you, but i love it when complete absurdity comes together and intertwines with Dominican laws.

The fact that they were in their underwear initially made me think that they were tourists who simply did not know any better and got lost on the way to Happy Hour. The girl was big, but attractive. If anyone finds out her name, please let me know so that i can send her a FB Friend Request. The guy wasn't bad looking either! send me his info as well.

Personally, they get a big thumbs up from me for...

A.) Going swimming during a hurricane.
B.) Taking their clothes off in order to, presumably, have something dry to put back on.
C.) Skipping Happy Hour
D.) Not resisting arrest
E.) Looking fairly presentable to the cameras.
F.) Knowing when to throw caution to the wind and let your hair down....and possess clean underwear.

Frank

New Rule;
Never live in a country where you can't afford a policeman..(And preferably a politician.)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its a lot of work, expensive and bad for tourism to keep carting away the piles of cadavers from the beaches.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Canadians,eh? Bet they are from Quebec as most anglophones don't have the " je ne sais quoi " to go swimming in their underwear during a hurricane.

Who said they were Canadians?
FYI New Brunswick is the only Bi-lingual Province in Canada, W have a large Acadian French community in Nova Scotia a stretching all the way to Alberta. Including Newfoundland. You are right we Metis' do not have the ''je ne sais quoi'' to bathe in a public beach ... we use common sense instead!!
I am out of this... too far off track
Russell

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Unless they were taking advantage of the surf to wash their underwear ? I used to do this when living in Costa Rica :bandit:

Funny you mention that (a bit off-topic). Many years ago(20) in Nassau, I would witness the Bahamians in the surf with towel and soap in hand for a good old scrub down.
Thought was kinda cool.