Amnesty International Report: SEXUAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN INCREASING

lesmarciaj

Dec 15, 2010
Imagine

Can we get back to the subject and you 2 take your crap and petty fighting private. The rest of us don't want to read it.

This is truly sad.It is sad and heartbreaking on so many levels. I for one was not aware this was a serious problem pre earthquake and it has escalated.

What struck me was the attitude of I can't do anything about it and no one else seems to be doing anything either. This effects the women raped and all the women around them,their children both male and female. It can create a pervasive acceptance of this being part of their lot in life!

On top of everything else this needs to be dealt with! But how? They can't even get clean drinking water. They can't get housing. They don't feel safe! Heartbreaking.

I totally agree with you DMV123.
First, you and everyone else who wants to help but feel helpless, close your eyes, then imagine and visualize the face of your daughter, your sister, your mother or some very special woman in your life being violated and raped in Haiti. Then, meditate on that picture! I bet you would find a way to help change some of this violence and positively impact these victims. I'd even venture to say that Bob S. might be the first in line to go there and help in some capacity!
I'm a 20yr military veteran, been around the world and back, seen a lot especially evil against women. When you are really sincere and serious you'll find a way to help starting with a visit to the country, and it won't be just lip service!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I totally agree with you DMV123.
First, you and everyone else who wants to help but feel helpless, close your eyes, then imagine and visualize the face of your daughter, your sister, your mother or some very special woman in your life being violated and raped in Haiti. Then, meditate on that picture! I bet you would find a way to help change some of this violence and positively impact these victims. I'd even venture to say that Bob S. might be the first in line to go there and help in some capacity!
I'm a 20yr military veteran, been around the world and back, seen a lot especially evil against women. When you are really sincere and serious you'll find a way to help starting with a visit to the country, and it won't be just lip service!

I agree with you in many ways. I don't need to close my eyes and imagine it - I have lived it and I know first hand what it can do to your life.

that being said - it is not right to say if you are serious you will go there. It can do more harm then good. People unprepared or with the wrong skill sets may do far more harm then good. Some of us belong in other roles, fund raising, donating, getting the word out, effecting policy.

I for one could not handle going there! I am better suited in other roles and I am still serious about helping.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
One day maybe instead of leaving Haiti for a better life it's true creme de la creme will stay home and make the sacrifice to better the homeland.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I hope anarchists are putting attention to what's happening in Haiti.

It's a real life experiment of life without a government.

Women (and men/boys too) at risk of being raped with impunity...

Life expectancy slashed to below 30 years...

Widespread infrastructural breakdown (its so real that it doesn't leaves room to be a matter of opinion or perspective)...

Etc, etc, etc...

My wild guess is that life without a government is not how some imagine it.

Last edited:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Is doing something about this situation in Haiti a requirement before posting about Haiti ( or jumping on Bob ;) ) ? Because, in reality, very few people can do anything about it, but it doesn't take away the fact that we feel sad and frustrated about the situation.

I don't want to pick a fight, but I have to disagree with you (but in a nice way, I hope).

We ALL CAN do something about it: we can make sure this story gets repeated outside of Haiti, by emailing our friends in other parts of the world. I realize it is a small gesture, but when enough people hear about it, they will speak up, and with enough people speaking up, something like this can be confronted.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we could convince one of the nations who have not yet fulfilled their contribution to fund an agency that will deal with victims of sexual crimes.

So please forward this information to as many people as you can, especially those who do not live on Hispaniola, and ask them to contact their governments.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
There is no better place like home

One day maybe instead of leaving Haiti for a better life it's true creme de la creme will stay home and make the sacrifice to better the homeland.

It is unrealistic Chip , people all over the world leave their home to greener pastures (or at least what they perceived to be), that 's human nature. When you have the possibility, you go to the place where you feel you can offer a better future, a stable and safe environment for your children, just like you did Chip. Haitian will do that and even return when they see a future for them and their children. Let's hope, that this time come soon.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't want to pick a fight, but I have to disagree with you (but in a nice way, I hope).

We ALL CAN do something about it: we can make sure this story gets repeated outside of Haiti, by emailing our friends in other parts of the world. I realize it is a small gesture, but when enough people hear about it, they will speak up, and with enough people speaking up, something like this can be confronted.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we could convince one of the nations who have not yet fulfilled their contribution to fund an agency that will deal with victims of sexual crimes.

So please forward this information to as many people as you can, especially those who do not live on Hispaniola, and ask them to contact their governments.

I agree with you, but it seems so little :eek: I get your point though.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Unfortunately the exploitation of women and children has been occurring in Haiti.

It breaks the heart of any human being to read about it happening, but there are 2 ways that I think people can feel as though they are helping to stop or decrease the occurrence in Haiti or anywhere else in the world.

Find out which organizations on the ground in Haiti specifically deal with women's health issues. contact them and find out when/if they are going to earmark funds for prevention,counseling for the victims of this kind of assault......volunteer your time(fundraise) and or money .

Spread the story...in the hope that the international press brings the issue to whomever is elected/selected to be president in a public manner.
I'm of the belief that being the next president of Haiti is such a daunting task that nobody with intentions of actually trying to tackle the responsibilities would want the job. Opportunists know that several millions of foreign aid will be coming into the country and they want their slice of it. Lot of international and media scrutiny is attached to that money......so shine a spotlight on some of the PRESSING issues and make Mr./Madame President somewhat accountable...

not just lip service but ACTUAL action and possibly the creation of an institution that specifically handles this issue now and in the future staffed by TRAINED and competent people.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
It is unrealistic Chip , people all over the world leave their home to greener pastures (or at least what they perceived to be), that 's human nature. When you have the possibility, you go to the place where you feel you can offer a better future, a stable and safe environment for your children, just like you did Chip. Haitian will do that and even return when they see a future for them and their children. Let's hope, that this time come soon.

thanks..saved me the trouble of stating the obvious. Haitians have the same HUMAN wants and desires as anybody else.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Unfortunately the "greener" pastures inevitably means just "green" as in money.

At least in my case I wasn't running from anything and by all accounts many people have doubted, Dominicans and Americans, if I'm doing the best for my children but the way I figure it is they are better off with mommy and daddy anywhere as opposed to only being with only one of them. I also am making less money her ein the DR. Bottom line it was a BIG sacrifice and I certainly wasn't thinking of myself when I chose to come to the DR.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The irony and naivet? of some of you guys is troubling to say the least. On the one hand most seem here to agree that the NGO's aren't doing anything and yet when they want things done in Haiti like free elections or education about rape and support for victims they espouse "contacting an international bla bla...". How does anyone think anything is being done in Haiti right now? Maybe instead of conjuring up fantasies it would be a better idea to go and see firsthand and then come back here and talk or at least defer to those who know the real situation.

Rapes and violence are happening in Haiti because of lack of security period. They happen historically in all parts of the world when there is lack of such. No amount of counseling will change that. The quick fix is get more peacekeeping troops on the ground as create curfews at night in areas where there is no light. Lack of light was explained to me for a reason of the rise in rapes by a person living in Haiti and married to a Haitian for more than 40 years. In fact in the missionary compound he runs they had around 7 rapes in the week after the earthquake out in the public streets surround the compound until he was able to convince the local authorities to cut the lights on at night.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Bottom line it was a BIG sacrifice and I certainly wasn't thinking of myself.

Exactly, what Haitians, or other nationalities, do when their leave their home country. Although,as you stated, some look for more money, I am sure most look for a stable and safe place to raise their children. I have met educated Haitians in the US who went from lawyer to cab driver, but at least, they didn't have to worry about their children being kidnapped or having a guy with machine gun guarding their house. As a parent, I can understand that and would do the same, I wouldn't sacrifice my children life's for the betterment of my homeland.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Exactly, what Haitians, or other nationalities, do when their leave their home country. Although,as you stated, some look for more money, I am sure most look for a stable and safe place to raise their children. I have met educated Haitians in the US who went from lawyer to cab driver, but at least, they didn't have to worry about their children being kidnapped or having a guy with machine gun guarding their house. As a parent, I can understand that and would do the same, I wouldn't sacrifice my children life's for the betterment of my homeland.

As far as violence being the reason for leaving I have heard that before too - from Dominicans who have left their country. Funny how that I feel at least as safe here in the DR as in the States.

From my point of view if there is not civil war and one is not targeted somehow by messing with the wrong people or in certain businesses one could live safely in most parts of the world - Haiti included.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
As far as violence being the reason for leaving I have heard that before too - from Dominicans who have left their country. Funny how that I feel at least as safe here in the DR as in the States.

From my point of view if there is not civil war and one is not targeted somehow by messing with the wrong people or in certain businesses one could live safely in most parts of the world - Haiti included.

I am no expert in Haiti's safety, but I personally know someone who was kidnapped with his wife on their visit to Haiti upon leaving the airport (he is a former coworker, network engineer, not involved in any shady business) about 2-3 years ago. Yet, he is looking into moving back, but he is waiting to make sure that the situation improves.

I am sure you could argue with a Dominican about his desire to live aboard , but,at the moment, I wouldn't with an Haitian. Also, you have to step out of your position of a relatively fortunate expat with a good education and a career to understand where others come from IMHO.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am no expert in Haiti's safety, but I personally know someone who was kidnapped with his wife on their visit to Haiti upon leaving the airport (he is a former coworker, network engineer, not involved in any shady business) about 2-3 years ago. Yet, he is looking into moving back, but he is waiting to make sure that the situation improves.

I am sure you could argue with a Dominican about his desire to live aboard , but,at the moment, I wouldn't with an Haitian. Also, you have to step out of your position of a relatively fortunate expat with a good education and a career to understand where others come from IMHO.

When I refer to creme de la creme I am referring to those in Haiti who have access to a good education and moral values, not those who are struggling to even afford to eat regularily. Somehow I thought you would understand this term. :cheeky:

The aforementioned people, like in the DR and elswhere, because of their education already have an advantage that most of their fellow citizens don't have and yet leave elsewhere for greener pastures. They have a lot to offer and Haiti and the DR included would be a lot better off if these types stayed.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The irony and naivet? of some of you guys is troubling to say the least. ..........

........... Maybe instead of conjuring up fantasies it would be a better idea to go and see firsthand and then come back here and talk or at least defer to those who know the real situation.

Interesting thought. I guess instead of trusting news sources on the ground in Haiti folks should just travel to Haiti and learn about rape, disease, total chaos and all forms of victimization first hand, huh? That's like telling people that their opinions on the prison system aren't valid if they've never been locked up. My tax dollars are paying for that prison system and my tax dollars are being sent to Haiti as well as personal contributions and THAT justifies my right to an opinion. We don't need to go there "firsthand" to gather information about what's happening on the ground in Haiti. We pay people for that.

No, thanks. I'll just review your trip report. I'm sure it will be every bit as interesting as the news reports we're getting and probably more objective.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Interesting thought. I guess instead of trusting news sources on the ground in Haiti folks should just travel to Haiti and learn about rape, disease, total chaos and all forms of victimization first hand, huh? That's like telling people that their opinions on the prison system aren't valid if they've never been locked up. My tax dollars are paying for that prison system and my tax dollars are being sent to Haiti as well as personal contributions and THAT justifies my right to an opinion. We don't need to go there "firsthand" to gather information about what's happening on the ground in Haiti. We pay people for that.

I guessed you missed the second part where I said to defer to those...

No, thanks. I'll just review your trip report. I'm sure it will be every bit as interesting as the news reports we're getting and probably more objective.

Well no guessing involved actually. Try reading my whole post next time. I try to make them short for those who bore quickly, like myself.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
When I refer to creme de la creme I am referring to those in Haiti who have access to a good education and moral values, not those who are struggling to even afford to eat regularily. Somehow I thought you would understand this term. :cheeky:

The aforementioned people, like in the DR and elswhere, because of their education already have an advantage that most of their fellow citizens don't have and yet leave elsewhere for greener pastures. They have a lot to offer and Haiti and the DR included would be a lot better off if these types stayed.

I agree with you there, but cr?me de la cr?me or not, people leave haiti for the same reasons: violence, unstability, etc...and who can blame them really ?

I can't speak about the DR and it would be a good question to ask a cr?me de la cr?me Dominican who did leave since the DR is stable and on the up.

My question is then: Why didn't you stay in YOUR homeland and sacrifice for its betterment ?? :cheeky: Morals are going down the drain here, people are fornicating left and right and the list goes on...:cheeky:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My question is then: Why didn't you stay in YOUR homeland and sacrifice for its betterment ?? :cheeky: Morals are going down the drain here, people are fornicating left and right and the list goes on...:cheeky:

A Haitin with the aforementioned qualities could become an honest politician or work in the public sector such as engineering, etc and really make a difference.

As far as helping out my own country if I wanted to be a politician who would vote for someone with an anti abortion and anti homosexual rights platform? As far as telling people what they are doing is wrong I can do that from afar.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
I agree with you there, but cr?me de la cr?me or not, people leave haiti for the same reasons: violence, unstability, etc...and who can blame them really ?

I can't speak about the DR and it would be a good question to ask a cr?me de la cr?me Dominican who did leave since the DR is stable and on the up.

Haitians are judged by an entirely different set of rules than other human beings by some on this board...with the implicit approval by moderators to derail threads.

Reactions: greydread