Amnesty International Report: SEXUAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN INCREASING

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Without adequate surveying laws and practices property cannot be properly delineated; which makes it very difficult to buy property which therefore would limit all but the most persistant and dedicated foreign companies from wanting to set up shop there. In order to attract foreign investment this will have to change.

John Locke is somewhere yelling, "SEE. I WAS RIGHT."

The right to property is mentioned in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

This discussion just got very, very deep. And I find myself agreeing with Chip completely on this one.

Part of stabilizing Haiti is going to have to include working out some sort of way to establish land ownership, or even a mechanism to take land by some process of imminent domain. But I don't see that taking place, for a number of reasons.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread on that, but it was an excellent point that was brought up.

Now, with regards to sexual violence against women, I have actually gotten the word out and forwarded the article. The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) are working on a resolution and looking to send resources. A friend who works for a tv news organization sent it on to his boss. And a couple of friends contacted local newspapers to encourage editors to include stories on the matter. And I'm sure my congressional rep is trying to figure out why any of his constituents care about women in Haiti and why they are all emailing him. We'll see where it leads, but at least more people are aware.