AMRATS are hassing tourists again!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Amet stopping people for infractions and tickets has nothing to do with keeping people "safe".

Its big government using public servants to generate revenue off the backs of the public. This is standard in NY and the USA.

Lie-onel borrowed so much from the IMF/World Bank that the interest has to be paid by the "people" by way of tolls, tickets, etc.

Go read "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" -

It his last run to make the max. $$$ before he goes.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
No, just giving examples. red light was 1000 p. no insurance card 1000p. Lesson learned ;-)
In the glove box of my truck, the is an enveloppe with a photocopy of the matricula, the insurance card, my drivers licence & my cedula. That will work most times.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In the glove box of my truck, the is an enveloppe with a photocopy of the matricula, the insurance card, my drivers licence & my cedula. That will work most times.
Yes. Photocopies. Never the real document. My "money clip" is a copy of my passport and DL, laminated and folded.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Policia National.

G2's don't have to wear a uniform. AMET, PN and Politur do. G2=Plain clothes. They *may* wear a hat or something with G2. That's the problem when they stop you: no real identification.

So what real reason would they have for stopping people? Several times when driving in the capital they have come up on us from seemingly nowhere and then motioned for us to either follow them or pull over. The spots they think we should pull over are usually either down a side street or an area with very few shops around. So far we have just ignored them and they've given up. It's happened several times just after we turn from Maximo Gomez left onto John Kennedy (going toward Santiago)with the flow of traffic. Then they just suddenly appear, weaving in and out of traffic and motion for us to follow them. Hubby has out maneuvered them every time. We can think of no legitimate reason why we need to obey their wishes.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
So what real reason would they have for stopping people? Several times when driving in the capital they have come up on us from seemingly nowhere and then motioned for us to either follow them or pull over. The spots they think we should pull over are usually either down a side street or an area with very few shops around. So far we have just ignored them and they've given up. It's happened several times just after we turn from Maximo Gomez left onto John Kennedy (going toward Santiago)with the flow of traffic. Then they just suddenly appear, weaving in and out of traffic and motion for us to follow them. Hubby has out maneuvered them every time. We can think of no legitimate reason why we need to obey their wishes.
After reading several posts, it appears they are unofficial revenue collectors and dispense the law very arbitrarily. no ?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So what real reason would they have for stopping people?
Looking for unregistered guns and possibly drugs. They profile, not people but vehicles. We've been stopped by G2 several times: Nagua, Puerto Rico de Pie (?), Sabaneta de Yasica (3 times) and Cabarete. They have been courteous...and thorough. Ask for papers. Ask for gun permits and weapons. They scan the inside of your vehicle through the windows. I have seen guys in handcuffs under guard on the side of the road while G2 goes through their vehicle. And note that generally they station themselves in locations where a bypass is difficult,short of turning around.

I have no problem with G2 stops. It is what it is. It ain't Kansas here and "probable cause" is an unheard metric. It's the PN and military roadstops where the propinas are solicited. They make it obvious.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo's theory is that you stop only if they have big guns :)
G2 did halt us one or twice in santiago area, very polite, looked at papers (from miesposos's side) and at me (they do stand on both sides of the car to keep an eys at all passengers). they often set up a spot just before the bridge as you leave POP (santiago direction), teamed up with the police, always in the late evening.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
anna, was it AMET or G2 that has annoyed you ?

The one time we stopped for an AMET officer, he got in the back seat of our vehicle and *politely* demanded money. Let's just say, the actions of the G2 were always suspicious enough that we figured we were stupid if we stopped....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The one time we stopped for an AMET officer, he got in the back seat of our vehicle and *politely* demanded money. Let's just say, the actions of the G2 were always suspicious enough that we figured we were stupid if we stopped....
When was that? The year?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
All of the incidents have been within the past 3-4 years....
I ask because wasn't AMET overhauled just a couple of years ago? College grads recruited, education stipends a benefit, increase in salary, etc?

A committee we're a member of meets regularly with the local head of AMET. In over three years we've seen 3 new chiefs. And each one has been highly educated (2 are lawyers), from very good families, sophistocated and seem to be driven professionals.

While instintively am cautious about any gubmint official or employee, I have been empressed with how AMET seems to conduct themselves in comparison to NP, Politur and the military.

I wonder if the back seat incident you mentioned was before the purge and reorg.

Oh, and I like the AMET hats.:D

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
I ask because wasn't AMET overhauled just a couple of years ago? College grads recruited, education stipends a benefit, increase in salary, etc?

I have been empressed with how AMET seems to conduct themselves in comparison to NP, Politur and the military.

I wonder if the back seat incident you mentioned was before the purge and reorg.

Oh, and I like the AMET hats.:D

The AMET incident would have been more than 2 years ago so before the overhaul...

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
Ive lost count of the times the AMET have stopped me/tried to impound my car, etc., for a variety of made up or real reasons including "marbete falsificao" (marbete was totally legit)x2. ,"Passing red light" (some true, some made up), "Por no tener seguro" (when the reason I didnt have my card was that some other AMET took it and never gave it back), "No tener camisa puesto" (which was while I had an open container, that wasnt an issue) and "por ser freco", among others. Ive never paid a bribe but have been asked numerous times, and on more than one occasion have seen people pay.
They jumped in my car and made me drive to the cuartel once when the marbete had to be renewed, and when we arrived tried to take my keys, I told them no way, and there were three of them taking turns trying to get my keys, and then telling me how they were each respectively going to metermelo sin vaselina, when the colonel arrived. This went on for probably an hour and a half till the colonel got there, and they were all chomping at the bit to tell him why I had to be screwed for not handing over my keys and followed him to a back office, meanwhile I was standing outside with nobody around, my keys in my hand, and my car outside. I got in my car and drove off. Man those AMETs were a bunch of retards

AMRATS actively giving tickets to tourists in Sosua Abeyo. Moto concho violations are ignored!

Cmon Papa the Amet in Sosua and Caberette dont single out tourists unjustly, I drive pass Amet several times a day every month of the year and never get pulled over unless I'm not wearing my Seatbelt or im talking on cell phone. I have been stopped many times and only once in Santiago did I actually get a ticket. The Amet in Sosua are ruthless to motoconchos with no helmets, I watch them load truckloads of bikes some days until people pay their tickets, I also see them getting the publicos if their papers arent up to date. Bottom line where your seatbelt and dont talk on cell phone when you know they are around. You live in Sosua if you would be a little friendly with them and wave to them and say good morning sometimes you would be pleasantly surprised that you would get breaks all the time and it wont cost you a single peso. Treat people as you would like to be treated.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
They are targeting expats for sure. My ex wife was stopped 2 weeks ago in Sosua and accused of running a red light. Two officers got in her car and made her drive to the Amet station and demanded 4,000 pesos or they would impound her car. She said they were also very bad mannered and verbally abusive. I would call this harassment considering she didn't do anything.
Cmon Papa the Amet in Sosua and Caberette dont single out tourists unjustly, I drive pass Amet several times a day every month of the year and never get pulled over unless I'm not wearing my Seatbelt or im talking on cell phone. I have been stopped many times and only once in Santiago did I actually get a ticket. The Amet in Sosua are ruthless to motoconchos with no helmets, I watch them load truckloads of bikes some days until people pay their tickets, I also see them getting the publicos if their papers arent up to date. Bottom line where your seatbelt and dont talk on cell phone when you know they are around. You live in Sosua if you would be a little friendly with them and wave to them and say good morning sometimes you would be pleasantly surprised that you would get breaks all the time and it wont cost you a single peso. Treat people as you would like to be treated.