And now... a HardRock Cafe????

Jan 3, 2003
You're right Ruffino

Ruffino1974 said:
For Onions and Carrots, if you are the same one who used to continually argue both sides of any point on the old board...Seems like you spent alot of time and alot of that inherited Mao produce money in the U.S., taking advantage of the schools and job opportunities and enjoying all the things the U.S. had to offer only to criticize capitalism and the "ugly American Model". You for one did not have to leave your farm, im sure you would have eaten well your whole life without the benefit of what the U.S. had to offer. Sorry you wasted all those years of your life "bored" in the U.S., but i'm sure we could have survived without you. Oh yea, you also could have spent your time in your own country trying to make things better here through politics, investing or developing Dominican businesses and thereby helping your own country maintain its identity. Well, didn't choose that either. Maybe you would not have had to go to Miami if they had a Hard Rock Cafe in the Cibao.
Rich

You're right Ruffino. I should have done more but I did improve the worker's lot under my care. Who were you under the old boards? But it's never too late.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Well, M.A.R...

It's the experience. When was the last time you were inches away from a Buddy Holly guitar or a set of Henley's drumsticks?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
something_of_the_night said:
It's the experience. When was the last time you were inches away from a Buddy Holly guitar or a set of Henley's drumsticks?

Like I said....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have been only once in hard rock cafe in my whole life in NYC. That was like 16 yrs ago. No big deal there. Oh wait, I also visited the one in cancun mexico as well. again, no big deal, nothing to write home about.
AZB

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Hey, M.A.R...

Henley's drumsticks are not food. He's my Texas hero way before he co-wrote Hotel California.

Are you by chance living in Nuebayol? They have other stations besides La Mega and Radio WADO.

Had The Kid remained there, he would've never been exposed to Roy Orbison and B. Raitt.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
something_of_the_night said:
Henley's drumsticks are not food. He's my Texas hero way before he co-wrote Hotel California.

Are you by chance living in Nuebayol? They have other stations besides La Mega and Radio WADO.

Had The Kid remained there, he would've never been exposed to Roy Orbison and B. Raitt.

Nooooo there are like 2 or 3 other radio stations in nuebayol, ;) :) I listen to a little bit of everything.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
JDJones said:
Tigre
Pricesmart is overpriced when compared to a stateside store, but go to Radio shack and see how much the double set of Uniden phones cost there.
Close to 11000 pesos! Somethings are more expensive, somethings are cheaper. That's why it's called "shopping" (whatever that's supposed to mean) lol

Geeeeez!

I believe you. My Dell's (laptop) power supply was damaged on one of my trips. I went to Radio Shack and they were charging me $175 bucks for some compatible model. I said to the guy "get the f&*k out of here, you're kidding me right" and he looked at me with a face like people actually go in there and buy stuff at their ridiculous prices.

I waited to get back, called Dell and they sent me a new one for 25 bucks.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Demand is inculcated in people

suarezn said:
Supply and Demand...that's all there's to it. If the whole world were demanding more chimichurry stands that's what the world would be full of...

Personally I wouldn't mind having a few Walmarts, Lowes and Best Buys around the country. The fast food stuff I can do without...Ikea would be great...

If you have read the major economic philosphers then you know that it is never that simple. Supply and Demand, that is not all there is to it -- As marx pointed out a commodity is never a simple thing, ever. Nor is the market. Demand is inculcated in the people. The poiint of commercials is not just to coerce someone into buying a specific product, but to inculcate a consumerist way of life. Hence something as silly and boring as teh Hard Rock cafe gets installed in the oldest plaza in the Americas and the idiot tourists go and shop there. They travel all the way here, and end up visiting a generic store with not a single decent product, all becuase o fthe name it has created for itself and its presence in various places. it has nothing to do with the product itself. Nobody needs or really wants the crap sold in The Hard Rock cafe, but they convince you tht you should have it. They plant that desire in you. 19th Century merchandisers discovered this long ago and based the Department store concept on it.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
not so fast

Whether it's the HRC in the ZC or the BEST Canadian BROWN GRAVY ON FRENCH FRIES in all of Boca Chica or even the GREATEST American BBQ RIBS on the North Coast, or perhaps the VERY BEST RED SAUCE at Guiseppe's, a taste of the familiar can provide a welcome relief to the daily "Oh my gosh" of an international vacation.

If such a cultural artifact were the object of a visit, what a waste, de acuerdo. If it provides a brief respite from the onslaught of breath-taking sights and scenes an average visitor is exposed to, great!

drbill

Sep 20, 2003
I think that placing the Hard Rock Cafe in a historic plaza is a big mistake. I think it takes away from the Colonial District's old world charm.

Why not place the Hard Rock Cafe at a site that has little historic value?

Mar 21, 2002
joel pacheco said:
I think that placing the Hard Rock Cafe in a historic plaza is a big mistake. I think it takes away from the Colonial District's old world charm.

Why not place the Hard Rock Cafe at a site that has little historic value?

Exactly place it where it does no harm.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
And now....a Hardrock

Oh yeah I forgot about Starbucks, (will probably be right on the heels of the Wal Mart)

Sep 20, 2003
Today's USA newspaper has a front page article about how Starbucks is planning on changing America's pop cultural landscape, how Americans think, etc.

My God, has it come to this? A coffee shop with that much influence?

I take some pride in the fact that I have NEVER set foot in a Starbucks coffee shop.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
joel pacheco said:
Today's USA newspaper has a front page article about how Starbucks is planning on changing America's pop cultural landscape, how Americans think, etc.

My God, has it come to this? A coffee shop with that much influence?

I take some pride in the fact that I have NEVER set foot in a Starbucks coffee shop.

Would a Starbucks work in the DR, like some people have said before, Dominicans like their coffee from home, but it could probably work in SD or any other big city. The frozen drinks are delicious, overpriced but delicious.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
M.A.R. said:
Would a Starbucks work in the DR, like some people have said before, Dominicans like their coffee from home, but it could probably work in SD or any other big city. The frozen drinks are delicious, overpriced but delicious.

Of course it would work in the D.R. After all, Dominicans are very trendy, and have a compelling need to be seen in all the "right" places. I mean, they flock in droves to TGIF at Acropolis. TGIF? What the....?

If you build it, they'll come, especially if next to a fancy bookstore.

And, yes, the frozen drinks are pricey but oh-so-good.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
you got be kidding me, if they build a Starbucks next to a bookstore Dominicans won go. Just the idea of being close to books would cause them some type of mental trauma.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
pkaide1 said:
you got be kidding me, if they build a Starbucks next to a bookstore Dominicans won go. Just the idea of being close to books would cause them some type of mental trauma.

that means u don't read right???? Only someone who has never picked up a book would say that, believe me there are millions of dominicans who read. SD is a large city with all kinds of people with all kinds of backgrounds and education, so they will come. Plus like someone said here people want to be seen and be at the "it" places and Starbucks would probably be an "it" place if it opens.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
M.A.R. said:
that means u don't read right???? Only someone who has never picked up a book would say that, believe me there are millions of dominicans who read. SD is a large city with all kinds of people with all kinds of backgrounds and education, so they will come. Plus like someone said here people want to be seen and be at the "it" places and Starbucks would probably be an "it" place if it opens.

If Dominicans really love to read that much, and are so educated why the country is so corruct and the mayority of the people allow it. How come there are not plenty bookstores around, but bars and clubs almost everywhere.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
M.A.R. said:

He speaks the truth. The concept of reading for pleasure is not very common. Not very common at all.

Scandall