And now... a HardRock Cafe????

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
joel pacheco said:
As far as "Hard Rock Cafe"being the only change to the Colonial Zone, think again. Once one of these chain resturants move in, the rest usually follow. I've never seen a town in America that only had one of these theme resturants.
This will only occur if the first franchise is successful, then the other one's follow.

A franchise becomes successful based on the amount of sales it see's on average, this is a high indicator of people's acceptance of such establishment.

Thus, if Hard Rock Cafe is successful, it's because there are enough people who want a Hard Rock Cafe and they show their support by buying its product, which is food and ambiance.

There is nothing wrong in giving the people the right to choose what they want. Right?

joel pacheco said:
What's next, a "Hooters" resturant in the National Pantheon?
Hooters doesn't sound bad, although it won't be in the National Pantheon just how the Hard Rock Cafe will not be in the Catedral Santa Maria la Menor.

I don't see what's the big fuss about this. Within the colonial zone there are branches of banks, fast food restaurants, tourist shops, so on and so forth and has the colonial zone been destroyed?

Uhhh, no. On the contrary, the colonial zone is more economically livelier due to those establishments. Is that bad? Is a lively economy undesirable?

If you are worried about the most historic structures in the zone, don't worry too much. They are protected by UNESCO ever since they were categorize as a World Heritage Site. In fact, the entire colonial zone is a World Heritage Site, which means the facades of the historic buildings cannot be altered in any possible way.

The presence of Hard Rock Cafe will simply create a lively atmosphere across the street from the cathedral. That's not bad. The only new addition may be a new bright sign stating Hard Rock Cafe. Aside from that, you might hear music from the outside (and that is nothing new for the DR) and everything else will most likely be reserved for the inside of the restaurant.

joel pacheco said:
If you're worried about tourism dollars, consider what will happen if the historic districts in the DR all start to resemble Myrtle Beach, South Carolina? You'll drive away a lot of tourists. What kind of new tourists will be attracted?
The historic district will not start to resemble Myrtle Beach, SC.

However, since you asked, the type of tourists who will be attracted are those who are attracted to Myrtle Beach. They are plentiful and spend spend spend.

joel pacheco said:
Think of the Dominican republic's cultural hertiage.
Culture changes with the times. Imagine what would have happened if the people who came before all of us were extremely conservative with their culture, not tolerating not even a little change.

Do you think what we today call Dominican culture would have existed? Do you like Dominican culture?

Assuming you do, then you like change because only through change has Dominican culture become what it has become. It's not that bad.

joel pacheco said:
Think of this island's unique history.
Look, the island (God forbid) could sink into the bottom of the ocean and dissapear forever and that will not be enough to change the history of the place.

Why? What happened happened, its recorded in the history books and its not going to change.

joel pacheco said:
I don't want to see the Dominican Republic lose the best facets of its charater and gain some of the worst facets of American pop culture.
This is a decision that belongs to the Dominican people to collectively decide by their actions of where and how they spend the money they earn.

It gets harder and harder to believe that fellow Dominicans don't want "Americanism" when they are literally dying to get to the US.

Do you know how many Dominicans look at the presence of McDonalds, KFC, etc in the DR as a form of progress? Obviously, their definition of progress is "it appears like the US" and thats progress to many paisanos.

Have you ever talked with a Dominican expatriate, whenever they want to say something suggesting progress in the DR they never fail to mention "en Santo Domingo hay de todo lo que hay en EEUU" (everything that's available in the US is now available in the DR). They always say it with a smile or with a look of "amazement at the progress".

Of course, they see "progress" for all the wrong reasons, in fact the reasons they use is not even about progress per se.

But, its obvious that Dominicans want Americanisms in the DR. There may be a small and loud anti-globalizers minority who reject globalization, but that is neither unique to the DR or new.

joel pacheco said:
Places like WAL- MART and Tesco flood their stores with cheap products from China, and put local factories and and small business owners out of work. I've listened to reports on the BBC and hear Britons complain that places like Tesco had ruined the old downtown market areas, book stores, butcher shops, grocery stores, all bankrupted. Even in the United States people recognize the damage that has been done by WAL MART.
Who created the damage? Wal Mart or the people who decided that its better to buy a pair of pants for much less than it would have cost them at the traditional store?

Walk into any of those stores and what do you see, people lots of people shopping until they can't shop anymore!

They chose Wal Mart or Tesco or whatever over their local stores because Wal Mart gave them something their local stores did not, greater purchasing power, in plain english a lower cost of living.

No one forced them to buy at Wal Mart. Wal Mart could have easily gone out of business if people really wanted their more expensive small shops in town.

joel pacheco said:
Today it's just the Hard Rock Cafe, what will follow tomorrow?
More jobs, more options, a more efficient economy.

Sounds much better than anything the DR has seen in the past 500 years.

joel pacheco said:
Even a small scratch on the arm can lead to an infection that will kill the patient.
An infection only occurs after bacteria infiltrates the leasion.

But, since Wal Mart sells band aids for 2 bucks, you can simply cover the scratch and live to tell the story..... ;)

-NALs

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
NALS, do u have interests in the Hard Rock Cafe, any stocks???
the thing about the DR is that there seems to be no control or regulations, look at Santiago, there are so many cabanas that is looking like a Vegas strip. That's the ugly side of it, that all these establishments can be put up anywhere with no control over how many and how fast. Politicians only think of how much they can steal and they don't think about the future generations, the children and the wellbeing of the community the country or anyone but their families. I think that's what Joel Pacheco is also concern about that there is not regulations as to where business are opened and regulated. When I see those superstores I'm glad because I know many single mothers who support their kids working there. ......gotta go ...talk later

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
M.A.R. said:
NALS, do u have interests in the Hard Rock Cafe, any stocks???
I don't have any direct interest in the Hard Rock Cafe.

In fact, I often refuse to publicly support any enterprise or company where I have financial interest precisely due to this particular question which you asked.

The only interest I have is a personal one, a hope of seeing an improvement in economic efficiency in all sectors of the Dominican economy. Look what happened with the super markets and hypermarket industry in the DR.

Before PriceMart and Carrefour came into the picture, the supermarkets in the DR were so-so. Not bad, but not too great in service, variety of products, etc.

Today, with the presence of Carrefour and PriceMart, companies which brought world best practice methods of managing a supermarket and hypermarket, look what has resulted. Dominican supermarkets were forced to improve on many facets of their businesses from adopting new technology for quicker check outs to implementing wider aisles and more options of foodstuffs and goods. They have become much more competitive with plenty of sales and customer service has improved greatly.

All of this occured due to the effect foreign companies like PriceMart and Carrefour were having on the Dominican market. Dominican and partial Dominican supermaket companies either modernized and became efficient in order to compete or they would have gone out of business.

Today, the supermarket industry in the DR rivals those of first world nations with most Supermarkets and hypermarkets being as modern, convenient, and efficient as comparable stores in the first world.

Not just that, but employees in those supermarkets today have higher levels of productivity than they did in the past and certainly, much higher than a typical colmado clerk.

While there is still room for improvement, the improvements that have occured so far have been noticeable and for the better and this was due to much more efficient foreign companies entering the Dominican market.

This could happen in every single economic industry in the DR. Another industry which has advanced greatly has been the telecommunications industry and that is also due to foreign influences.

In the fast food industry many Dominican franchises (such as Pollos Victorinas) are much more clean, efficient, and better managed due mostly to foreign franchises such as KFC. Contrary to popular belief, the introduction of KFC did not meant the demise of Dominican fast food restaurants. If anything, KFC has helped increase the level of efficiency and increase productivity in much of the industry across the board.

Who benefits the most from all of this? The consumer.

M.A.R. said:
the thing about the DR is that there seems to be no control or regulations, look at Santiago, there are so many cabanas that is looking like a Vegas strip. That's the ugly side of it, that all these establishments can be put up anywhere with no control over how many and how fast. Politicians only think of how much they can steal and they don't think about the future generations, the children and the wellbeing of the community the country or anyone but their families. I think that's what Joel Pacheco is also concern about that there is not regulations as to where business are opened and regulated. When I see those superstores I'm glad because I know many single mothers who support their kids working there. ......gotta go ...talk later
There are regulations, whether people follow them is another story.

However, all those businesses are appearing in the places where they are the most profitable. Profitability is decided by many factors, among them the decisions of people regarding their purchase of such service. If people wanted those caba?as to be located somewhere else in town, they could have boycotted the caba?as located in certain areas of the city. This has not happened because most Dominicans who use caba?as are happy enough to have those caba?as wherever they are located.

Otherwise, the profitability of those caba?as would have fallen and businesses would either move or fail.

While I recognize the need of regulation for certain businesses (such as brothels not being near schools or churches), the economic segment which covers a typical Hard Rock Cafe does little to no offense and/or problem to any insititution or other type of building anywhere in most towns.

-NALs

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
NALS,

Nothing you posted has changed my mind. You still babble on as if you are a spokesman for WAL MART. Places like WALMART put small business owners making a good living(or even a decent living) out of business. Most people who work at WAL MART are living a life of poverty. I've stated my argument in the last post, I won't repeat it.

As far as Myrtle Beach goes, it not the land of the big spenders, not by a long shot. It's a place for cut rate, tawdry, NASCAR fans to get drunk. Not Palm Beach or even South Beach by a long shot.

My mother lives in a West Coast college town in the United States. They passed zoning laws in the late 1990's just to keep WAL MART out and save local business in the downtown area. It preserved the small business owners.

If you want to see the DR's small business owners ruined in less than a year, bring in WAL MART...

I still haven't changed my mind about Hard rock and the Colonial Zone. At the very least, let hard rock build in another part of the Zone, why next the the Cathedral? It's tacky. Then again, we are talking about Hard Rock Cafe...:tired:

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Hard rock wont last that long or do damage

joel pacheco said:
NALS,

Nothing you posted has changed my mind. You still babble on as if you are a spokesman for WAL MART. Places like WALMART put small business owners making a good living(or even a decent living) out of business. Most people who work at WAL MART are living a life of poverty. I've stated my argument in the last post, I won't repeat it.

As far as Myrtle Beach goes, it not the land of the big spenders, not by a long shot. It's a place for cut rate, tawdry, NASCAR fans to get drunk. Not Palm Beach or even South Beach by a long shot.

My mother lives in a West Coast college town in the United States. They passed zoning laws in the late 1990's just to keep WAL MART out and save local business in the downtown area. It preserved the small business owners.

If you want to see the DR's small business owners ruined in less than a year, bring in WAL MART...

I still haven't changed my mind about Hard rock and the Colonial Zone. At the very least, let hard rock build in another part of the Zone, why next the the Cathedral? It's tacky. Then again, we are talking about Hard Rock Cafe...:tired:

I really don't think it will last, look at what happened to McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendys, they were all at one time in the Colonial Zone. Now all are gone. Only KFC and Pizza Hut are left. and they don't look any more out of place than Pollo Rey, or Pala Pizza.
We did used to have some illegal Hooters here, one on the Malecon, and the other on San Vicente. Were not any where close to the legal ones in other countries. There also used to be a Hollywood Cafe in Noco at one time

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
joel pacheco said:
Nothing you posted has changed my mind. You still babble on as if you are a spokesman for WAL MART. Places like WALMART put small business owners making a good living(or even a decent living) out of business. Most people who work at WAL MART are living a life of poverty.

I understand your position and am not criticizing it. But I personally think that hardware store owners and Walmart employees make up a small percentage of the population. What about the entire nation of people who are able to save big money on purchases because Walmart exists? The money they saved is then spread around the economy through savings, construction and other purchases. Regardless, it puts more money in the pockets of more people.

Should the majority of the population pay higher prices just so the few (hardware store owners) can keep their businesses?

As for the employees, nobody put a gun to their heads to make them work there. Where does it say that unskilled labor has to be a living wage?

Just a few thoughts from the Libertarian side of my brain...

Scandall

Sep 20, 2003
I'm not really against having Hard Rock Cafe, TGIFridays, etc in the Dominican Republic. I am against having them in historic districts. In the historic areas where I live in the United States, there are zoning laws to keep those places out. Not everyone views a nation's history as something that is disposable and can be thrown away because the potential for profit exists.

I DO oppose WAL MART. For all the reasons I've stated before.

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
joel pacheco said:
I'm not really against having Hard Rock Cafe, TGIFridays, etc in the Dominican Republic. I am against having them in historic districts. In the historic areas where I live in the United States, there are zoning laws to keep those places out. Not everyone views a nations history as something that is disposbale and can be thrown away because the potential for profit exists.

I DO oppose WAL MART. For all the reasons I've stated before.

I agree about the need for zoning laws. The Cathedral area is beautiful and the historical look is worthy of maintaining. I certainly don't need to see a "Jack in the Box" in the middle of Parque Independencia.

Scandall

Sep 20, 2003
Scandall said:
I understand your position and am not criticizing it. But I personally think that hardware store owners and Walmart employees make up a small percentage of the population. What about the entire nation of people who are able to save big money on purchases because Walmart exists? The money they saved is then spread around the economy through savings, construction and other purchases. Regardless, it puts more money in the pockets of more people.

Should the majority of the population pay higher prices just so the few (hardware store owners) can keep their businesses?

As for the employees, nobody put a gun to their heads to make them work there. Where does it say that unskilled labor has to be a living wage?

Just a few thoughts from the Libertarian side of my brain...

The problem with WAL MART is that it is not just hardward stores put out of business, it helps to destroy native industry. WAL MART is America's largest employer, it is also one of America largest importers from China. The clothing, furniture, pots and pans are manufactured in China. By Chinese workers who toil in unbelieveably bad conditions. In 1988, 39% of Americans were involved in manufacting, by Feb. 2004, it was something like 8% or 9%. It is stores like WAL MART that helped put American factories out of business.

As for "no one forced people to work at WALMART", what choice did a lot of these workers have? The high paying factory jobs lost because WAL MART stopped buying American. American industry was built on protected markets. The tariffs used to be the main source of government revenue(Before the introduction of income taxes) Open markets are not proving to be a good thing for the average worker. Not even the average worker in China...

I think government has a responsibilty to protect its workers jobs. Even Trujillo protected his domestic markets. (Even if he did take a cut of the profits.)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
joel pacheco said:
NALS,

I'm not trying to change your mind, simply answering your questions.

If I truly wanted to change your or anyone else's mind, I would do such thing in person.

joel pacheco said:
Don't worry, neither does the tourists who visit Boca Chica or much of the DR for that matter.

You know the DR is the budget spot of the Caribbean, right? Sure, prices are rising but it's still a budget all inclusive vacation destination, sounds like.... myrtle beach, but much nicer scenery....

joel pacheco said:
Every single resident of that town does not visits a wal mart somewhere? Not even once a year?

joel pacheco said:
You prefer small colmado owners offering their very limited goods at higher prices than a large store, taking advantage of economies of scale to offer a large and varied selection of goods for less?

If you do, then that's fine.

The problem starts when people start to complain of the higher prices and lack of variety.

joel pacheco said:
Your opinions are greatly valued..... unfortunately, the Hard Rock will open in front of the cathedral.

If you want, offer any retail space you may have in another part of town for them to open there.. if not... well...

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
joel pacheco said:
The problem with WAL MART is that it is not just hardward stores put out of business, it helps to destroy native industry. WAL MART is America's largest employer, it is also one of America largest importers from China. The clothing, furniture, pots and pans are manufactured in China. By Chinese workers who toil in unbelieveably bad conditions. In 1988, 39% of Americans were involved in manufacting, by Feb. 2004, it was something like 8% or 9%. It is stores like WAL MART that helped put American factories out of business.

As for "no one forced people to work at WALMART", what choice did a lot of these workers have? The high paying factory jobs lost because WAL MART stopped buying American. American industry was built on protected markets. The tariffs used to be the main source of government revenue(Before the introduction of income taxes) Open markets are not proving to be a good thing for the average worker. Not even the average worker in China...

I think government has a responsibilty to protect its workers jobs. Even Trujillo protected his domestic markets. (Even if he did take a cut of the profits.)
In fact,

Wal Mart is so large and influential in the US economy, that it's a major reason for why INFLATION has remained LOW and STABLE!

If you like having more bang for your buck..... thank WAL MART of all enterprises!

If it was not for WAL MART, the cost of living for MOST Americans would have been much higher than they are today and would have been increasing at a much higher rate (ie. INFLATION) than they are today.

This reminds me of when I read "Titan" by Ron Chernow. It's a biography of John D. Rockefeller and his Standard Oil empire. The critics were extremely harsh against his company, comparing the guy to the devil himself.

Somehow they forgot to realize (or refused to acknowledge) that the price of kerosene and oil was actually cheaper once Standard Oil came into existence than it would have been otherwise, mostly due to economies of scale. But never mind the lower cost of buying such valuable good (which today it's hurting wallets in much of the world), Rockefeller and his company was seen as evil monopolists who wanted the world to himself.

Of course, being such a critic while enjoying the benefits of lower cost of the goods/services must be a nice position to be in. Such person appears as a "champion" of the people while enjoying the benefits coming forth from the very same company they are demonizing.

People want a lower cost of living or more money or both!

Anyone or anything or any company that can deliver on that will WIN the game - naysayers aside!

-NALs

Edited to add: And no, I'm no "ambassador" of Wal Mart nor do I care for the company. But, it's success lies in the people choosing to buy there. Why can't critics see that is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
As far as me personally offering another retail space for "Hard Rock Cafe" to open at, that should not have to be the option. Zoning laws should force the "Hard Rock Cafe" people to find a lease space else where. It is really simple. I can not believe there is no other place available in all of Santo Domingo for this plastic burger joint.

As for WAL MART, I don't need to wait 20 years to see the damage that WAL MART has done to America, Americans can look around right now and see it. I really don't have anything to add to my WAL MART remarks. I stand by my comments.

Apr 26, 2002
GringoCArlos said:
There is a new Hard Rock Cafe being installed in the square next to the Cathedral on the bottom of El Conde.

(sorry, just the news, no more comments from me.)

Good luck.
:(
Say it ain't so!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have the first T-shirt from the Santo Domingo Hard Rock Cafe. I bought the t-shirt in 1998 while living in SD. I was Christmas shopping for friends and relatives back home when I found them at El Canal ( a discount store in SD).
I asked my Dominican friend where is the Hard Rock Cafe in SD? She told me there isn't one but they sell tons of the t-shirts . Hell, what did my fmaily know back home? HA HA HA They got the T-shirts for Xmas. I paid $3 for them back then but now maybe I can sell them on the Dominican E-bay now!
Back in 1998 my Dominican friends would have gone to the Hard Rock Cafe and I think they would go now also. They liked ALL things American. We mostly went to lunch at Pizza Hut, Wendy's or any other place that was connected to the American culture. This was thier choice, not mine.

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
Chirimoya said:
pkaide, your challenge to El Tigre is just plain rude. Although I agree with you that reading is not part of the general culture, it is going to far to say that there are no Dominicans who read, and that one who claims he does is not telling the truth.

This is so true. I work in the headquarters for a major book chain in the US(take a guess) and I send my mom in Salcedo a ton of books (in spanish) every few months.. she passes them around among friends.. Someone already posted this but it is true, when I visited Cuesta i was *shocked* at the prices of books. The prices are keeping common Dominicans from reading. PLUS, you can tell the stock at Cuesta -- both in Santiago and in SD doesn't sell very quickly as many books are yellow and dusty... What I did see in SD's Cuesta is lots of young teens buying text books...

Edwin