another nightclub closed in santiago

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The DR, like Thailand, if you had not noticed, has an international reputation for prostitutes. The DR government does not like this reputation. That is why the DR government, the Attorney General Brito and other agencies, is trying to minimize this reputation.
You may have noticed certain activities in Santo Domingo and Sosua as well with the same thrust of trying to remove prostitution from public view.

I was in the capitol for about a week. I drove on the Malecon a couple of nights from the east side out to Nunez and counted about 30 or so girls waiting for clients in plain view. I remember years ago they chased them past Lincoln but now they start once again right after Gomez.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think them closing down a few more bars is just that, closing down a few more
bars/ clubs. If they were serious about getting rid of prostitution in this country,
they would start with the education sector. I think they are serious about cleaning
up the DR?s sex tourist reputation but nothing more.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
And this will be accomplished in Sosua by systematically closing down every Venue which kept it Indoors ?

I would not know about that. When I was there that one time, it was all over for all to see.

I am all for keeping it indoors. I have been to SD and Santiago and have seen it in the streets a bit but not like Sosua.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think them closing down a few more bars is just that, closing down a few more
bars/ clubs. If they were serious about getting rid of prostitution in this country,
they would start with the education sector. I think they are serious about cleaning
up the DR?s sex tourist reputation but nothing more.

Bingo. It is all about cleaning up the sex tourist reputation.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
I guess I must be missing something here; "isn't prostitution legal in the DR"?
If the powers-to-be wish to curtail the business I would think a law should first
be passed that makes prostitution a criminal offense.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If the powers-to-be wish to curtail the business I would think a law should first

The issue in play right now it appears is 'the sexual exploitation of women'. Either pimping them or having them on your premises to attract punters in, knowing they are selling sex, appears to be the target of the authorities.

Now ladies exploiting desperate men (including those waiting all along the Malecon) is by all accounts perfectly legal?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Yes, its LEGAL, and yet people even here are posting that the Johns should be arrested ( and in the DR being arrested, usually includes a HEFTY Shakedown and Extortion).
Not to mention Massive Attorney Fees.... which of course the Corrupt Cops and Lawyers would Split up..

Then you get back home you may find out you have lost your JOB, and are probably going to be Labeled a Sexual Predator in your Community.

Yes, that should solve it.. and improve Tourism.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
An extract from the piece in today's DR1 News: " Reportedly, 32 women were rescued from sexual exploitation." Rescued? Don't make me laugh!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Now you are looking for logic and legality? What part about this being the DR are we missing?

It is not illegal for a woman to accept money for sex by prostituting herself.
It is illegal for any third party to promote prostitution (aka Pimping).

I think, and I could be wrong, that it is somewhat subject to interpretation by the law that if a man, a John, seeks out a woman for sex, he could be breaking some law. Men have been arrested for doing this, albeit rarely. Stepping up those arrests would really drive prostitution under cover. Someone could also request a clarification about this point in DR1's legal forum.

Since there is a War on Whores, they probably should change the laws while they are about it.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
let's build a wall around the DR to keep mongers out. that's what Trump would do.:cheeky:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Many here seem to think that DR prostitution is caused by male tourists.that just isn,t the case.
Maybe 1%.
The rest are DOminican men.harder to spot that,s all.
Dominican men just get laid and go home.
Only foreign men take the hookers to thebeack,and out to dinner!
Ccccccc

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Make Love NOT War

Many here seem to think that DR prostitution is caused by male tourists.that just isn,t the case.
Maybe 1%.
The rest are DOminican men.harder to spot that,s all.
Dominican men just get laid and go home.
Only foreign men take the hookers to thebeack,and out to dinner!
Ccccccc

If Dominican men would spend all their time at home, there would be a revolt of Dominican women who would have to endure the presence of their spouses at all times.
Also the wives would be limited in their daily "excursions".
It is clear the war on prostitution is doomed to fail and will be limited!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Of course the overall war on whores is doomed to fail. Prohibition never works.

That is not really the issue for the DR government. The issue is reducing the International reputation that the DR has as a place where whore mongers go.

If the whores are out of sight and out of mind, it is very unlikely they will be disturbed.

Jan 9, 2004
If you have read carefully over the last few years, the changes in Sosua, Bavaro, and Santiago are not so much about prostitution anymore.......if you look closely at the press articles you will see a subtle shift to the term "human trafficking."

And, since this is a top priority of the UN, and, since there is money involved for countries combating this "human trafficking," you can expect these enforcement actions to continue in the DR and elsewhere......until at least the money runs out.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2