AntiHatianismo

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here's an example of more revisionist BS that has been created in recent years.

First, lets keep in mind that by the time slavery was abolished in 1822, the abolition affect a small part of the population, both on the side of the slaves and on the slave owners, and the bulk of this took place in the vicinity of Santo Domingo because that (and in the San Cristobal area) was where the few and only sugar mills that were functioning at that time were located.

Now, look at this, the ruins of the sugar mill in Palave (near San Crist?bal) has been submitted to the UNESCO World Heritage thing. The part that has me very uncomfortable is this, and I quote:

"The Sugar Refinery then was managed by Juan Bautista Ollarazaba a famous person with the slave's rebellion circa 1884, which brought as consequence the burning of every houses and sugar cane plantations, this riot was formed primarily by free Haitians."
http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/1703/

Slavery abolished in 1822 and they claim that a slave rebellion took place not only 62 years later, but also 40 years after Dominican independence.

And then it mentions that the suppose riot was formed by free Haitians. When? How? Lets assume that its a typo (its a possibility) and they meant to say 1784, how could it had been formed by free Haitians? The first French invasion lead by Haitian hero Touissant Lovertoure took place in 1801 (the treaty of Basilea -I don't know if Basilea is the correct name in English- was signed in 1795 but in practice it didn't took place until 1801!) How could the "free Haitians" had done anything in 1784 on the eastern part of the island when all of them were in the west?

Either way, it doesn't makes sense!

And I personally think this is not a mere coincidence, I think this is being done intentionally and now they are trying to legitimize this through international institutions. Most people in UNESCO no nothing about Dominican history, so this will probably be accepted as the truth.

Sep 4, 2012
There has been some pretty harsh criticism regarding Sagas' credentials and scholarship. Anti-haitianism has parallels everywhere in today's world and historically. These parallels are found when suggesting that a persons ethnicity and where his parents chose to live and the location of his university begets a biased unscholarly work. BTW, most academic work is biased to prove or disprove, and focused on a single question to answer. He didn't ignore DR's support following earthquake, he just didn't include it. Also, he has lots of good citations. i am not sure what the question being answered in this article is,but I can't find his bias, especially after broadening my google search. Half the article is about Balaguer and he hardly lets him off the hook.

See 15 below and come back again. As a Cuban-American that he's and due to his ethnicity, he should've a better sense of the subject and the roots, after all; all Caribbeans island -- Cuba included, more or less share the same history.

Sep 20, 2003
This quote from mofongoloco is important to remember when discussing this issue: "Anti-haitianism has parallels everywhere in today's world and historically." Yes. And it's usually a two-way street.

The hypocrisy of the attacks on the Dominican Republic is astounding, even by the demented standards of the ridiculous age we live in now. No wonder Western civilization is circling the drain.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This quote from mofongoloco is important to remember when discussing this issue: "Anti-haitianism has parallels everywhere in today's world and historically." Yes. And it's usually a two-way street.

The hypocrisy of the attacks on the Dominican Republic is astounding, even by the demented standards of the ridiculous age we live in now. No wonder Western civilization is circling the drain.

The problem is now Haiti is seen as a nation that stood up to slavery and the atrocities it's army committed must be ignored at all costs by the politically correct revisionist historians. This is a similar to one poster that claimed that there was never a slave trade in Africa before the Europeans came. These are products of North American racism where people only find value in the color of their skin and cultural heritage as opposed to their personal character.

Also, if all this interest in Haiti could be directed to it's people to help the country grow instead of trying to discredit Dominicans the attitudes could change between the countries for the better.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Marcio Veloz Maggiolo says it best in the intervals between 4:33 and 5:05.

[video=youtube;b9_T1kHS4qk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9_T1kHS4qk[/video]

My translation to English:

"I believe that the memory is fundamental. And now that in this country they want to erase our memory and they want to insert a new memory that is not the real one, but rather an invented memory; we have to treat our memory with caution and to make of her an arm of defense of our national values and our moral values as well. In essence, I was not wrong when I became aware that the memory is fundamental to understand life."

That event took place three years ago when he put in circulation his most recent (at the time) book, in that case based on the Villa Francisca neighborhood of Santo Domingo in the days when it was a new subdivision and his family was one of the original families to live there and where he spent much of his younger years.

Sep 20, 2003
The problem is now Haiti is seen as a nation that stood up to slavery and the atrocities it's army committed must be ignored at all costs by the politically correct revisionist historians. This is a similar to one poster that claimed that there was never slaves trade in Africa before the Europeans came. These are products of North American racism where people only find value in the color of their skin and cultural heritage as opposed to their personal character.

This is why studying history (really studying it) is important. Too many people talk about things they know nothing about to groups of people that know absolutely nothing at all.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is why studying history (really studying it) is important. Too many people talk about things they know nothing about to groups of people that know absolutely nothing at all.

Revisionist history is all the rage in the US I'm afraid. History has become a casualty of political correctness.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Revisionist history is all the rage in the US I'm afraid. History has become a casualty of political correctness.

The ironic thing about the PC crazies (the white American/Euro ones anyway) is that they tend to accuse us of "self-hatred" when PCness itself is the epitome of that, or in other words, bending over. The donkey calling the rabbit out about ears, one could say.

Last edited:

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

In that sense, I truly recommend for everyone here to read some of the works of Emiliano Tejera, Emilio Rodriguez Demorizi, Jos? Gabriel Garc?a (the national historian) and Am?rico Lugo published at our Archivo General de la Naci?n.

Listado | Archivo General de la Naci?n

Their works "no tienen desperdicio", nuff' said.

Sep 4, 2012
Interesting finding in regards to DNA and Tainos. The study was completed at a PR university. Granted that the history of Cuba, PR and DR are just about the same, this study might/should also apply to the DR population.

"some 53% of Puerto Ricans were of Amerindian ancestry exclusively through their maternal line."

"The results of the analyses of approximately 300 of these samples identify 62% as Amerindian, 30% as African blacks and 8% Caucasian."

An Interview On the Taino DNA testing in Puerto Rico

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
WOW...it is incredible the amount of influence Haiti has had on the Dominican psyche.

DR is hardly ever mentioned in Haitian history books.

That is probably why we don't have a culture of Anti-Dominicanisme.

This specific school of thought (antihaitianismo) wouldn't have that much relevance today if it weren't for the Jesuits, NGO's and other assorted rabble being on the task of reminding us how "evil" we Domis are.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Can't we all just get along? The legacy of the master forever lives in the hears and minds of man. Racism isn't physical, its a social construct.

"Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes...I say war!" by Haile Selassie I (c) Bob Marley

Last edited:

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Can't we all just get along? The legacy of the master forever lives in the hears and minds of man. Racism isn't physical, its a social construct.

"Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes...I say war!" by Haile Selassie I (c) Bob Marley

I fine wish, indeed. Still, we could make well without the rabble rousers in the way, though.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Racism, like antihaitianismo, often are manipulated by powerful people for economic or self serving interests. For example, in perilous times, when a leader has expended their resources and lack funds to entertain the masses, he resorts to invent or highlight that ever present boogeyman.

Dominicans have all rights to remember those dark times of the Haitian occupation. Maybe the OP could enlighten us about Haitian feelings towards Dominicans. For example, the massacre (El corte) carried out by Trujillo.

Sep 20, 2003
Racism, like antihaitianismo, often are manipulated by powerful people for economic or self serving interests. For example, in perilous times, when a leader has expended their resources and lack funds to entertain the masses, he resorts to invent or highlight that ever present boogeyman.

Dominicans have all rights to remember those dark times of the Haitian occupation. Maybe the OP could enlighten us about Haitian feelings towards Dominicans. For example, the massacre (El corte) carried out by Trujillo.

You miss the point. It's the one-sided nature of modern attacks which is the issue.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
For example, in perilous times, when a leader has expended their resources and lack funds to entertain the masses, he resorts to invent or highlight that ever present boogeyman.
Kinda like the eeeeevil rich, Tea Baggers and corp-por-RAY-Shuns?

Gotta go. "Dancing With the Kardashians" is on...

:cheeky:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you want to remove all doubt about it being "Racial", all you have to do is see any "Political Cartoon" depicting Haitians in Dominican newspapers.
Black as coal, huge lips, "Bad Hair", stupid, dressed in rags,they use it ALL!
The "They Invaded Us", bull$hit is just a pretext.
Americans LOVE the English, and look how THAT all started!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.