AntiHatianismo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I think there are some who are working on creating a new (brand) name ... but we'll have to wait and see if they succeed.

It starts with something like this:

The Republic of La Gonave .... ;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nUr102x7cfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of the many pipe dreams for Haiti that will never see the light.

But here's hoping that I'm proven wrong on this one!

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
That could be their touristic flagship alright, considering the fact that the island in question is larger than any of the ABC (Aruba-Bonaire-Curazao) islands.

Cura?ao in English

Right, mea culpa.

Another Haitian tidbit is that they have the misfortune of having their own Gitmo/Gibraltar, this one called Navassa island (currently held by the US). Although this one is a little bit removed from the mainland.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
sorry for having abandoned the team but you seem to be doing just fine without me. My internet has been down for two days and it is a holiday here I was working yesterday. So came out to a cafe to catch up. Thanks for all the postings about telling a Haitian from a Dominican.. now that I reflect on it. It was a Haitian who told me this, and he said.. that they cannot tell us apart. I just assumed he meant Haitians and Domicans but he could just as easily have meant Haitians. Since the folks up there are very darkand the police are always changing. So that must have been it.

I remember after my husband and I returned from a year of living in Grenada and were coming down the escaltor and I turned to him and said.

"All the white people look alike"

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
WyW.. Those are GREAT articles. Thanks so much for finding them and posting them. They are going to take me a while to digest Rueben Silie was (is?) the Ambassador from the DR to Haiti and a sociologist from FLASCO and wonderfully knowledgeable, fluent in French.. very respectful and a great asset. I saw him at presentation for Haitian and Dominican journalists.

One question that Delite posed.. the iine in Haiti is really whether or not you speak French. That is the test of education and class. Most of the education in Haiti has always been in French. Among the elite, French and only French is (or was) spoken in the home and schools. If you speak French (I have been told) you are treated completely differently by .. say Bank employees.. waiters, etc.. it is the key that opens the door.

The news papers, the laws, etc. are in French. Most radio is in Kreyole. Tv is in a bit of both. There is a push.. particularly by the US ,, to have the curriculum now in Kreyole . which really was not a written language 30 years ago. The arguement for this is that it is language of the people. I am against this as I argue that it will keep them a small island people, deny them access to the literature of their own history, and make them forever dependent on translators. As Picardo says.. the language in most demand as a second language is English. Most people here who have met educated Haitians can testify to their facility with language.. often speaking four and five fluently. Aristide only made Kreyole an official language during his administration. I do not know the stats.. Certainly all the Haitians in the US can read and write ditto Canada and France. That, of course is not true for the ones in the DR-- who .. as some have noted.. are the bottom of the Haitian diaspora.

As for CBs continuing stuff.. yeah.. no rebar because it is expensive.. and they watered down the concrete .. incredibly stupid, right? lack of foresight? no. poverty? yes. Or.. maybe the Montana was built without rebar in which case it was just .. trying to milk it milk it.. which Haitians are good for as well. Building code? that would be? what? You want to take the risk.go ahead and do it. So I am willing to give you a whole lot of stupid.
But you cannot look at the list that I posted and tell me that their "friends" have been any help, can you?

Oh I know.. everyone has good intentions.

My best Haitian friend, when I first met her, said "Haiti will never succeed because the United States does not want her to" I vehemently denied it at the time, saying that that might have been true 50 years ago but not now...

but.. well.. seeing the help that we have been since the quake.. what with the gift of cholera and all,..

and ..most of the building has really been for the NGO workers..
I wonder really if she was not right

Sep 4, 2012
Sep 4, 2012
WyW.. Those are GREAT articles. Thanks so much for finding them and posting them. They are going to take me a while to digest

My pleasure.

One question that Delite posed.. the iine in Haiti is really whether or not you speak French. That is the test of education and class. Most of the education in Haiti has always been in French. Among the elite, French and only French is (or was) spoken in the home and schools. If you speak French (I have been told) you are treated completely differently by .. say Bank employees.. waiters, etc.. it is the key that opens the door.

Haitians themselves discriminate and shame among themselves. Not much room for progress in the future with that behavior, which is in turn one of the main reasons the country is in the shape it is now and the source of the treatment they do get as country throughout the world.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Snake is that you? Well La Guerra de Restauracion was 1863 against Los Espanoles. The other date (1844) was against The Haitians.

He's not wrong. The Restoration was all about bringing the republic from 44' back, with all its virtues and defects. The fact that the name is the same (Rep?blica Dominicana) suggests a continuity. Now, had the state being baptized "Haiti Espa?ol" (like the one that was erased on 22'), then it would have been another story.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
I wonder if you four.. Delite.. Gowozo. and NS. and KMel..would be willing to share a bit about yourselves ? about your // obviously academic backgrounds and connection to

well shall we call it Quiskeya?

Where do you live? What languages do you speak? If you live off island, when were you last here?

stuff like that..

great to have you here!

My family is from Haiti's southern peninsula...Les Cayes and Jeremie. We are geographically closest to Cuba and Jamaica.

Spent early years in Potoprens......a few years in Senegal and Chad.....early teen-age years in Montreal...and finally ended up in Vermont and Massachusetts.

Did my graduate studies along Boston's Charles River....currently working in investment banking...and keep homes in Boston Florida and Haiti (which I rediscovered as parents returned there for retirement).

I speak Haitian.....English...French.

I knew very little about DR..its people or its history.......only recently have started to acquire more information.

I don't have any Dominican in my inner circle either personally or profesionally....and I have zero knowledge of spanish.

I am a Libertarian..Atheist...Haitianist....and don't believe in the out of africa theory for all mankind.

I believe religion is too important to share with other nations/people........so I support Haitian Vaudou against the catholic haitians and especially the protestants.....support Hindu nationalism..and all other one nation/people cultural traits. I think these nation-unique traits make for a more interesting world.

That's all for now...lol

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
He's not wrong. The Restoration was all about bringing the republic from 44' back, with all its virtues and defects. The fact that the name is the same (Rep?blica Dominicana) suggests a continuity. Now, had the state being baptized "Haiti Espa?ol" (like the one that was erased on 22'), then it would have been another story.

But the header stated 150 years of the Restoration War. I figured 1863 plus 150 years equals 2013 which we are in.

I just reread it and initially I confused restoration with restore. Mis disculpa

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
But the header stated 150 years of the Restoration War. I figured 1863 plus 150 years equals 2013 which we are in.

Let me introduce you to the periodization of "republics" the minds of the establishment use (like the Venezuelans, copying the French model):

1st Republic = 1844-1861
Spanish interregnum = 1861-1863
2nd Republic = 1863-1916
1st American interregnum = 1916-1924
3rd Republic = 1924-1965
2nd American interregnum = 1965-1966
4th Republic = 1966-nowadays

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
We're probably both parsing. Yeah, maybe we should leave them to themselves instead of lamenting their plight and their proximity to the homefront. Also, nice analogies but I don't think they apply to the macro-society.

My point all along.......dominicans should worry about DR ..as for the Haitian invasion it can be fixed with control of the border and employment practices.

The constant whining and no ACTION will not solve anything.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Let me introduce you to the periodization of "republics" the minds of the establishment use (like the Venezuelans, copying the French model):

1st Republic = 1844-1861
Spanish interregnum = 1861-1863
2nd Republic = 1863-1916
1st American interregnum = 1916-1924
3rd Republic = 1924-1965
2nd American interregnum = 1965-1966
4th Republic = 1966-nowadays

Lets hope "nowadays" is forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.