Bachata gets US citizenship

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The dinner and friendship at my buddy's house tonight is excellent for this celebration, we are having a great time.
393741_10150412086118261_529493260_8375640_779659927_n.jpg

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
?Felicidades!

Ahora cuando vengas al pa?s tendr?s que comprar la tarjeta de turista para que te dejen pasar. Ja ja ja

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Congratulation Bachata! You still need to do one simple step. You need to change your status from Permanent Resident to U.S. Citizen with the Social Security Office, like that every time you give your SSN it shows that you are a citizen.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
JJ,
Just for curiousity and if not too personal, how much did it cost you to go through the process of green card to citizenship? Did you use an attorney? If so, his fee?

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Belmont;There is a fee for filing,when I did it for my Cubana ex. was $400.but it goes up all the time,now is probably double,the paper work is not that bad,you may not need a lawyer(I did not)normal stuff back ground,an oral test,and always answer their mail request,it is actually easier than it should.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Belmont;There is a fee for filing,when I did it for my Cubana ex. was $400.but it goes up all the time,now is probably double,the paper work is not that bad,you may not need a lawyer(I did not)normal stuff back ground,an oral test,and always answer their mail request,it is actually easier than it should.
Just wondering. I have an employee who insists she needs to pay an attorney. He has quoted her a fee of $8500 including all filing fees. This sounds high to me so I checked another immigration attorney. His fee was almost the same. I'd hate to tell her that she should do it herself and it get screwed up though.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just wondering. I have an employee who insists she needs to pay an attorney. He has quoted her a fee of $8500 including all filing fees. This sounds high to me so I checked another immigration attorney. His fee was almost the same. I'd hate to tell her that she should do it herself and it get screwed up though.

It's been a long time since my husband applied for his citizenship - he's had it for 30 years, back then I think the filing fee was $20. :surprised We didn't use a lawyer, it's not really that complicated. You just have to read everything carefully and be sure to provide everything they ask for when they ask for it.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Belmont, Since we start the process for the green card about five years ago I've seen the application fees are double that it was.
The application for citizenship right now is US $ 680.00 Dollars.
My wife is the one who did the whole process from the beginning to now, all have to do is visit the USCIS web site for information, you can download the applications forms right there. For support sing up for an account on Dominican Immigration - Dominicans to the USA - Index they will have the right answer for your questions.

JJ

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Belmont; When I did it was very simple filing the forms,you can request them by contacting their web site,I had them mail to me (a few years ago)I had no problems,I requested her from Cuba w/o attorney and the first time I filed the wrong form,did it with the new form and it went through she was here in 9 months.Now is even more simple.I remember I had to go to one of the location for tracking (laguna nigel)but that was all.Attorneys are to be used if you have a problem they are too expensive in my opinion

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I think it is a shame that this attorney is preying on this girl. Like clockwork, she drops off a $200 check at his office every payday. I think she will be coincidently approved right around the time she completes paying the entire fee. Sort of like when my kids teeth were straight right around the time I paid the orthodontist his last payment.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Only reason she needs an attorney is if she has a serious criminal history. Other than that she can safely save her money, or maybe you can charge her half that and do it yourself...