Best Carpet Stores on the North Coast

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Only carpeted room I’ve ever seen here was in an elevator. Seriously.
I think the embassy of Germany has a black carpeted floor in Santo Domingo... Why is this in my mind? Exactly for the reason quoted... It draw my attention and we've spent a few hours on that carpet...

I'm from where you would use wood and carpet all over the place, and my wife has always been a fan. Whenever we've been house hunting in EU, she insists on laminated/wooden floors and then we purchase a bunch of rugs as well. That has to do with the colder climate of course as well, but a matter of preference too... We have always had a large rug in the living room in the DR as well, then my hobby was to wash that in the patio a few times a year to keep it fresh...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
It was used for about 2 years and then sold. It was not suited for the Dominican climate. It harbored mold, mildew, odors, and who knows what other microbes, very unhealthy. If one has a rug and running the AC 24/7 to cool the residence and keep humidity out, then it may survive unblemished a reasonable time.
Exactly. Our rugs in the living room were always pretty small, but we had those issues, hence me washing it frequently... You could use A/C but I personally would find that too expensive and if there's a blackout, you would need a generator, as for a regular inverter (unless with a huge battery bank), the load would be rather high... So having a (large) rug would come with a decent amount of costs from different angles...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Where is the best central heater installer in DR ? Carpet, unless it is a wool Oriental rug or a throw rug along side the bed seems nasty.
I have a 4'x6' alongside the bed just to wipe my feet before sliding into the sheets

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Where is the best central heater installer in DR ? Carpet, unless it is a wool Oriental rug or a throw rug along side the bed seems nasty.
I have a 4'x6' alongside the bed just to wipe my feet before sliding into the sheets
I brought an oriental rug with me when I moved 20 plus years ago. It lasted the better part of a year or so.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
what extranjero/a doesn't have A/C, if you live in a warmer climate, dry or humid, you want tile
You would be amazed how many owners in my condo complex did not use the A/C this summer. I don't know how they did it(?). Especially Canadians. You would think that they, more than another other group, would have a hard time tolerating the heat.

You need to go to South Florida. Many, many houses and apartments owned by non-Latinos have wall-to-wall carpeting.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
You would be amazed how many owners in my condo complex did not use the A/C this summer. I don't know how they did it(?). Especially Canadians. You would think that they, more than another other group, would have a hard time tolerating the heat.

You need to go to South Florida. Many, many houses and apartments owned by non-Latinos have wall-to-wall carpeting.
I bought my condo in Bradenton,FL a year and a half ago,it has wall to wall carpet throughout,brand new and I can't wait to rip it out. Very few condos here have carpeting,some yes but I wouldn't say many that is for sure. Just my opinion but carpeting doesn't belong in hot humid climates.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I bought my condo in Bradenton,FL a year and a half ago,it has wall to wall carpet throughout,brand new and I can't wait to rip it out. Very few condos here have carpeting,some yes but I wouldn't say many that is for sure. Just my opinion but carpeting doesn't belong in hot humid climates.
Some people like tile, some like carpet. I lived in Florida for 35 years and always had carpet. Zero problems. I was in real estate for 13 years and the majority of houses and condos had carpet. Cada uno a su gusto.

Reactions: canuckgirl

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
I have rugs everywhere, they make an apartment far more cosy than simply having tiled floors. I also use a lot of laminate floors as well as tiles, I like the feeling of something other than tiles on my feet.

I think there are some carpet shops in Santo Domingo - there's one opposite the big Nacional on Lincoln where it joins the 27th February. I don't think you're going to find something like this easily on the north coast, I would suggest you google companies in Santo Domingo, most will at least have a whatsapp and be able to show you what they have. Rugs are quite expensive, probably RD$ 20,000 each, so it's worth a trip to the capital to investigate once you have identified which suppliers you're interested in.
Thank you, Maria. This is very useful!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
what extranjero/a doesn't have A/C, if you live in a warmer climate, dry or humid, you want tile
I've lived years in the DR without any A/C... And I'm originally from close the North Pole but simply hate cold climate... Our neighbors in a very nice residencial area in POP, expats, had no A/C either... Even when we had one, we had to limit the use as my wife and kids got sick very easily...

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

if they are French Canadian they squeeze the dollar very tight do not like the part with it

Reactions: cavok

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Living in an environment with constant AC is not very good for you. Myself I go to Florida or Las Vegas and stay in 24/7 AC and after one day I will be coughing and just don't feel right. I found this and believe it. I do use AC here, but only when needed..............

Is it harmful to be in AC all day?

Staying for a longer period in an air conditioning system does more harm than good, it can also lead to dehydration. AC sucks too much humidity from the room, which will end up making you feel dehydrated. Staying in AC for too long can lead to respiratory problems.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
35 years in Florida and I never turned my A/C off. 17 years down here and the A/C is constantly on for 6 months out of the year. No problems so far.

Reactions: Big