Best RIBS in the Country

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good news & bad news.

AtlantaBob said:
OK, I don't necessarily need the recipe, but how do you cook them. You know, like do you smoke them over a wood fire, in the oven, on a grill??
The bad news.
I don't even let the employees know how to make them.
I make the sauce myself away from peering eyes.
The good news.
As the end result depends so much on local products and some very special cuts of meat, it surely wouldn't be the same if they were made elsewhere with the exact recipe.
I promise to leave the recipe to alanindr when I die.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Rocky said:
The bad news.
I don't even let the employees know how to make them.
I make the sauce myself away from peering eyes.
The good news.
As the end result depends so much on local products and some very special cuts of meat, it surely wouldn't be the same if they were made elsewhere with the exact recipe.
I promise to leave the recipe to alanindr when I die.

I once asked Marco about the recipe, he told me he would tell me, but then he would have to kill me!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They are some real tasty ribs, I just could not understand what the big secret was about "Open Pit" BBQ sauce!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Rocky's Ribs

Robert and I are in Sosua/Cabarete for the weekend. After a day on the beach yesterday we went to eat at Rocky's. We both had the ribs. I gotta say they are pretty damn good. I only had one or two during the 4th of July party because they kept disappearing. But yesterday I had the plate of nine. I think I might do the same today.

Ted (bartender) is a great guy and the atmosphere is very laid back. Marco also has 3 or 4 computers hooked up for customers to use and a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Bruno who is a specimen you have to see. Gorgeous dog (Sorry Bailey...you're just average...hehe).

See you at Rocky's,

EDITED TO INCLUDE: Oh yeah, the prices are very fair. Especially for what you get.

Scandall

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Scandall said:
Robert and I are in Sosua/Cabarete for the weekend. After a day on the beach yesterday we went to eat at Rocky's. We both had the ribs. I gotta say they are pretty damn good. I only had one or two during the 4th of July party because they kept disappearing. But yesterday I had the plate of nine. I think I might do the same today.

Ted (bartender) is a great guy and the atmosphere is very laid back. Marco also has 3 or 4 computers hooked up for customers to use and a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Bruno who is a specimen you have to see. Gorgeous dog (Sorry Bailey...you're just average...hehe).

See you at Rocky's,

EDITED TO INCLUDE: Oh yeah, the prices are very fair. Especially for what you get.

Scandall

I did the same drill today. Consistently good stuff.

Scandall

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
planner said:
Of course I can. Rocky's is on the side street just behind Harrison jewellers. So, go into Sosua, past Playero, just past the texaco gas station on the left, turn left!

One block up is Pedro Clissante and Harrisons is on the corner, go thru that intersection and Rocky's is about 1/2 down that block on the right, just past Cowgirls or some such named place.....

Of course, if I was going with you it would be easier to just show you.....LOL

Just kidding, I have plans to be in Sosua as well but we are going for pizza then there is a live merengue band but I am not sure where, I am just going....

Enjoy and of course tell us what you thought....
Hi Planner,
Well, I'm back in the states and missing the DR already! We did go to Sosua, but ended up at 'El Roca' or 'La Roca'...found Harrisons but instead of going thru the intersection..we went left. (I forgot the directions and could only remember Harrisons). But all was not lost, we had an excellent meal (terrific garlic shrimp!) and wonderful company. Next time we'll get to Rockys. We are planning on December or early January. Maybe we can get together and all go for wings!
Daisy

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Okay Daisy, I willl have to be your personal tour guide! For Ribs, I will do this....LOL

I am sure your meal was good, I"ve eaten there as well. But Rocy's is better.....LOL

See you when you come back....

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
planner said:
Okay Daisy, I willl have to be your personal tour guide! For Ribs, I will do this....LOL

I am sure your meal was good, I"ve eaten there as well. But Rocy's is better.....LOL

See you when you come back....
Okay Planner..I'll be taking you up on that offer, and for your trouble..I'll buy the wings & the beer!
See you soon.
Daisy

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Never really had ribs in DR, but I know many people in pork business. My two best friends are highly recognized in the Tampa Bay area since 1985 ... and I do all their refrigeration , since day one.

To cook quality ribs takes 6-8 hours over either hickory or oak.

I've seen people actually..... BOIL,BOIL, the ribs before hand :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . And tried to make it UP with the sauce.PEOPLE THAT KNOW ribs would laugh, due to no flavor in the MEAT.

A great way to try the ribs as far as quality of product is to order sauce on a side.

If the meat falls off the bone it's been boiled bottom-line, and all of the flavor from the meat has gone to waste within that procedure, sauce on the side.... dead giveaway.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Gotta tell ya, i was very surprised at the tastiness of the ribs at Rocky's. didn't think anyone could cook them like they do in the South USA, much less the DR. Our locals usually cook 'em for 24 hours in slow cooker, made from a 5-gallon drum or abandoned refrigerator!

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
planner said:
You are on Daisy, but you dont' need to buy honey...

Come back soon....
Okay Planner, the next trip will probably be in December..I'll keep in touch.
Daisy

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
easygoin said:
1If the meat falls off the bone it's been boiled bottom-line, and all of the flavor from the meat has gone to waste within that procedure, sauce on the side.... dead giveaway.
No, NO, No......
First, I've never seen a team from Tampa represented in National Rib competition. I will say in the thousands of ribs I've eaten at the National Rib cook-offs, none are boiled, and most fall off the bone. If you want to try some, call or order on online from the Rondevous in Memphis. Their recipe is a dry-rub, with sauce served on the side. They Fed-ex world wide their ribs and condiments. They don't boil, but the meat is soft as butter and falls off the bone.

Last edited:

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
easygoin said:
Never really had ribs in DR, but I know many people in pork business. My two best friends are highly recognized in the Tampa Bay area since 1985 ... and I do all their refrigeration , since day one.

To cook quality ribs takes 6-8 hours over either hickory or oak.

I've seen people actually..... BOIL,BOIL, the ribs before hand :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . And tried to make it UP with the sauce.PEOPLE THAT KNOW ribs would laugh, due to no flavor in the MEAT.

A great way to try the ribs as far as quality of product is to order sauce on a side.

If the meat falls off the bone it's been boiled bottom-line, and all of the flavor from the meat has gone to waste within that procedure, sauce on the side.... dead giveaway.
Easygoin....you know those small "home town" newspapers that don't have enough "newsworthy" material, so they fill it up with junk?
How bout those Devil Rays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Yo, Easy

You are right dude. The correct way to cook ribs is to slow cook them over oak and hickory with a good spice rub. But if you eat as much ribs as I do, you don't always have 6 to 8 hours to prepare a meal. That's is why I sometimes use the boiling method. Grill them over low heat and they will not lose any moisture.

The following is used by a famous rib restaurant, according to the TV chef:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda...OOD_9936_25153_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Boiling meat of any sort

AtlantaBob said:
You are right dude. The correct way to cook ribs is to slow cook them over oak and hickory with a good spice rub. But if you eat as much ribs as I do, you don't always have 6 to 8 hours to prepare a meal. That's is why I sometimes use the boiling method. Grill them over low heat and they will not lose any moisture.

The following is used by a famous rib restaurant, according to the TV chef:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda...OOD_9936_25153_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html

Means you're starting off with bad product to begin with. :cry: :cry:

90% of people do not know GOOD food or quality.

Making stock for soup?.... would you keep the bones?...NO.

BOILING ...(ANY MEAT) you will lose flavor considerably. And that is done because due to poor quality MEAT....BEING CHEAP... #1.

AND the rookies in the business try to clean it up with their sauce, I just have to laugh. Fall off the bone ribs anybody can do that. Texture and flavor says it all without no sauce.

If you don't have open pit you have no barbecue.

My buddies have 4 locations and the PIT is in front of all eyes to see... since 1985.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Read the rules: http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38831

This is not about how to make ribs. This thread is about the places that sell the best ribs. If someone posts about the best place to buy a car, is talking about changing the oil relevant? Of course not.

If you want to talk about cooking ribs, go to the many sites that deal with that subject.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Robert said:
Read the rules: http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38831

This is not about how to make ribs. This thread is about the places that sell the best ribs. If someone posts about the best place to buy a car, is talking about changing the oil relevant? Of course not.
If you want to talk about cooking ribs, go to the many sites that deal with that subject.

Robert, IMHO you are WAY over reacting to this, I know it's your site, and you have a right to censor it as you see fit. But as I see it you are making a mountain out of a mole hill here! I have read 90% of the posts here over the past 4 or 5 years. From my perspective the vast majority of posts have digressed to some degree.

This thread may have digressed a little, but IMHO you are starting to stifle this forum!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Normally, I would agree with you, but this forum was recently set up and Robert initially established rules and then modified the rules based on feedback from others.

To get back on topic, I have heard from many sources that Rocky's has the best ribs. I have also been told that it takes a long, long time to get served. So, Marco, I plan on being their on September 2nd. I am placing my order now. I can't wait to taste them! :lick: :lick:

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
rellosk said:
Normally, I would agree with you, but this forum was recently set up and Robert initially established rules and then modified the rules based on feedback from others.

To get back on topic, I have heard from many sources that Rocky's has the best ribs. I have also been told that it takes a long, long time to get served. So, Marco, I plan on being their on September 2nd. I am placing my order now. I can't wait to taste them! :lick: :lick:

I have eaten the ribs at Rocky's numerious times, and they are tops! I'm sure when Robert reads what I wrote it won't be well recieved. None the less, I stand by the statment "IMHO you are starting to stifle this forum!" And I'm just talking about The BEST of the DR threads!