Best RIBS in the Country

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
CyaBye3015 said:
Robert, IMHO you are WAY over reacting to this, I know it's your site, and you have a right to censor it as you see fit. But as I see it you are making a mountain out of a mole hill here! I have read 90% of the posts here over the past 4 or 5 years. From my perspective the vast majority of posts have digressed to some degree.

This thread may have digressed a little, but IMHO you are starting to stifle this forum!

You don't get to see all the posts, of should I say the ones that are deleted.

It's not called censoring, it's called staying on topic.
As for the stifile comment.. nah... why bother.

Enough said...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
CyaBye3015 said:
Robert, IMHO you are WAY over reacting to this, I know it's your site, and you have a right to censor it as you see fit. But as I see it you are making a mountain out of a mole hill here! I have read 90% of the posts here over the past 4 or 5 years. From my perspective the vast majority of posts have digressed to some degree.

This thread may have digressed a little, but IMHO you are starting to stifle this forum!

It has come to my attention that Robert has a steak (no pun intended ;-) in the business. So it's not without reason that any postings that may raise issues regarding Rocky's ribs will be unceremoniously deleted.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I guess it's hard for an non-American to understand why American's are so opinionated about their national food, BBQ ribs. I guess if it were kidney pie, he might understand.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:
It has come to my attention that Robert has a steak (no pun intended ;-) in the business. So it's not without reason that any postings that may raise issues regarding Rocky's ribs will be unceremoniously deleted.
Let me clear this up before Robert has to.
I have no idea where you got that idea.
It reminds me of that little pimple XR thinking that Scott was my partner.
Nobody has any "stake" in Rocky's other than myself.
I have no partners.
Furthermore, the posts that Robert considered off topic were the ones that got into a discussion about how to make ribs, whether they should be boiled or not, etc.
I am really honoured that so many people like our ribs and I have no qualms about somebody liking Tony Romas, Bobby Rubinos or the Bar-B-Barn's better.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good for you Rocky, saved me the typing.

If Robert makes the rules, he gets to inforce them. Anyone who doesn't like them, well that is your problem.

This entire forum has a specific set of rules. It is about the best of....

And to get back to it: the best ribs are at Rockys! I'll be there soon for more!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Mirador said:

The height of MORONIC behavior seems to be when you think you are so much smarter than everyone else that you become self defeating.

Sometimes I feel like I'm hearding cats...

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Please let me make myself very clear

When you talk the best, money is no option. It's quality that you're looking for. Boiling, pit, smoker,.... that's all relative when you live in a third world country. Rocky I never meant to perceive you in a bad way as far as your product by no means. I have never seen in the USA that procedure done. If it works for you and people are very happy with your product why change. Obviously you're doing something right, for people to rave about your ribs, and I totally respect that. As for Tony Roma's, Sonny's, they're just a chain that cannot produce a quality product. My buddies closed down those heavy hitters in all four of their locations , that tried to knock them out. The little guy that takes time to produce a quality product... in such a small market as pork is will be the winner every time. Good luck ;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
easygoin said:
When you talk the best, money is no option. It's quality that you're looking for. Boiling, pit, smoker,.... that's all relative when you live in a third world country. Rocky I never meant to perceive you in a bad way as far as your product by no means. I have never seen in the USA that procedure done. If it works for you and people are very happy with your product why change. Obviously you're doing something right, for people to rave about your ribs, and I totally respect that. As for Tony Roma's, Sonny's, they're just a chain that cannot produce a quality product. My buddies closed down those heavy hitters in all four of their locations , that tried to knock them out. The little guy that takes time to produce a quality product... in such a small market as pork is will be the winner every time. Good luck ;)
I didn't perceive any insult and don't rightly know what you mean.
I love ribs and made an effort to make the best we could here in Sosua.
I still love Bobby Rubino's baby back ribs and drool all over the Bar-B-Barn's.
The whole point of me replying to Mirador is that I didn't want any confusion about partners and vested interests, and if we don't get back on topic, we're gonna get our wrists slapped.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Maybe I'm misinformed but...

Rocky said:
I didn't perceive any insult and don't rightly know what you mean.
I love ribs and made an effort to make the best we could here in Sosua.
I still love Bobby Rubino's baby back ribs and drool all over the Bar-B-Barn's.
The whole point of me replying to Mirador is that I didn't want any confusion about partners and vested interests, and if we don't get back on topic, we're gonna get our wrists slapped.

These ribs everyone's talking about are not b.b.?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I cannot believe this thread... firstly, we are in the Dominican Republic. The quality of meat is different. Secondly, we are not comparing Rocky's ribs with anything in the US. We are simply saying that they are great --- in the Dominican Republic. A nice change from aroz con habicuelas con pollo... And for the fellow that is saying that Robert has a piece of the pie.. you're just delusional.

Rocky's ribs are great. This is not a competition with what you can get elsewhere in the rest of the world, this is simply what is good in the DR.

Come to think of it... what do you have in that marinade dude?.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Robert said:
You don't get to see all the posts, of should I say the ones that are deleted.

It's not called censoring, it's called staying on topic.
As for the stifile comment.. nah... why bother.

Enough said...

Robert,

I applauded you for not deleting my little tirade, It speaker volumes about you, and DR1.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Rocky's Ribs- Are you a Canuck??

Rocky said:
The bad news.
I don't even let the employees know how to make them.
I make the sauce myself away from peering eyes.
The good news.
As the end result depends so much on local products and some very special cuts of meat, it surely wouldn't be the same if they were made elsewhere with the exact recipe.
I promise to leave the recipe to alanindr when I die.

Hi there Rocky.
I have never been to D.R. and we are going to Cabarete in January.
My friends Willy and Nancy have a villa in Puerto Plata, and they told me about this Canadian Fellow who has a great bar/ribs/ etc.
Are you the man??
If so, we will be looking you up. Apparently you are located in Sosua. Is that far from Cabarete. What is a good nite to come for ribs.

Cannot wait. I do love ribs. We had some in St.Maartens at Ms.B's on Dawn Beach, and they were wonderful. Just trying to plan our trip.
Would be great to see visit a fellow Canadian.
\
Have a good one - eh??

Meg

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Finally tried the ribs at Rocky's. I agree with the OP, they are the best ribs that I've had in the DR and they didn't take as long to get as I anticipated. :lick: :lick: :lick:

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
megamania said:
Hi there Rocky.
I have never been to D.R. and we are going to Cabarete in January.
My friends Willy and Nancy have a villa in Puerto Plata, and they told me about this Canadian Fellow who has a great bar/ribs/ etc.
Are you the man??
If so, we will be looking you up. Apparently you are located in Sosua. Is that far from Cabarete. What is a good nite to come for ribs.

Cannot wait. I do love ribs. We had some in St.Maartens at Ms.B's on Dawn Beach, and they were wonderful. Just trying to plan our trip.
Would be great to see visit a fellow Canadian.
\
Have a good one - eh??

Meg

Rocky's is a short trip from Cabarete. 10-15 minutes. I've done the ribs twice now. I've left fat dumb and happy each time. (Last time I got the little-known and unlisted 'super-sized order of 12' option.) mmm mmm

next time I'm trying the kabobs though. they looked great.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
TimInDR said:
Rocky's is a short trip from Cabarete. 10-15 minutes. I've done the ribs twice now. I've left fat dumb and happy each time. (Last time I got the little-known and unlisted 'super-sized order of 12' option.) mmm mmm

next time I'm trying the kabobs though. they looked great.

Tim, I saw what you saw, the kabobs did look good. I went back on Saturday and had the kabobs and they were fantastic. Next trip I'm going to see if I can get 1 kabob with 6 ribs, maybe an unlisted "combo order".

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
dry

Can you get the ribs at Rocky's dry with sauce on the side, or are they all slathered in sauce? Second question for Rocky: is there sugar in the sauce?
We will be there in oct and will try them.
Thanks

Bob K

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Bob K said:
Can you get the ribs at Rocky's dry with sauce on the side, or are they all slathered in sauce? Second question for Rocky: is there sugar in the sauce?
Thanks

Bob K

This is the DR. Here you eat what you're served. Dry sauce.. never heard of this thing.. they are slathered in sauce... The sugar question is probably more serious. ;) There is sugar in everything in the DR... It always amazes me that if you ask for juice, fresh juice, sin azucar, you still get the sugary concoction...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Bob K said:
I had the same concerns you had. It taste like there is sugar in the sauce, but not an overabundance of sauce (or sugar) like you would get at any of the chain of rib joints in the US.

Marco, Bob K has a good question, is it possible to get the sauce on the side?

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It would be possible to get the sauce on the side, but it would be thin, as the sauce thickens up while being cooked. I don't think it would what you are expecting.
As we cook the sauce into them, they would not be good, "dry".
The sauce does NOT contain sugar.
If you order them don't love them, you need not pay for them.
Of course this offer does not apply to those who ate them all, licked the bones clean, then said they didn't love them....