Best seafood in Santo Domingo

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
WHY?

Can someone please explain to me why fresh fish in not readily available, particularly in SD where I live. The larger supermarkets have what appears to be frozen fish laid out on crushed ice to simulate fresh fish. I would think with all this water there would be somewhere in SD you could go and buy fish from the returning fishing boats. As a matter of fact I don't understand why there are not "party fishing boats" to go do your own fishing.

Is there something in the water around this island?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Last two times I have been to sully's (in past 6 months) I had overcooked white fish, same for the prawn appy, which isn't pleasant! The lineup to get in and the tables almost on top of each other, to me not at all what it used to be!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Would you eat "Sashimi" here???????????
After 500 years of bad fish they know better!!!!

Ask Mike Fisher, he makes a great living taking people out to fish, but they ain't Dominicans!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
WHY?

Can someone please explain to me why fresh fish in not readily available, particularly in SD where I live. The larger supermarkets have what appears to be frozen fish laid out on crushed ice to simulate fresh fish. I would think with all this water there would be somewhere in SD you could go and buy fish from the returning fishing boats. As a matter of fact I don't understand why there are not "party fishing boats" to go do your own fishing.

Is there something in the water around this island?

According to my husband, the waters off Santo Domingo were overfished and not much "good" fish is out there. When he was a boy, his grandfather [whose finca was on the malecon] would tell his wife to put on the rice, and he'd walk across to the ocean and catch as many fish as he wanted. Mr. AE has been diving since the late 60s - he often comments that he sees guys selling fish they catch in yolas off the south coast that no one used to eat. He was an avid spearfisherman.

His cousin sells fish - he had a large refrigerated truck, and he used to drive to the far southwest - Barahona/Pedernales - to buy the fish off the boats every other day, and then he had regular restaurant customers who would buy much of it on his way back to SD. After being robbed at gunpoint 4 or 5 times, now he has it delivered to him in SD, and the buyers come to him.

The guys selling fish along the beach road, where we live, mostly buy it from guys who bring it from the southwest.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
WHY?

Is there something in the water around this island?[/QUOTE]

Maybe too much poop in the water here to expect decent fish! Remember the DR has a very inadequate sanitation system. All the garbage and littering alone gives you a feel for the priority this has with the people in general as well the Gubmint!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Expat, AE, CCCCCC, I hear you but guess I am just too darn dumb to understand why you can't go a little offshore and stock up on fish. I buy the plato del dia every so often but never seen one being sold with the option of fish.

Just well, another one of those things I will never understand about this island...........

At Expat, is there poop in the water? When you cross the floating bridge heading to SDQ they quite often have "fresh" fish hanging on string in the hot sun for sale. When I learned to fish in New Jersey everything I read was put the fish on ice as soon as you can. I look into the brown water of the Ozamo River and I don't care how much I have a taste for fish I would never buy whatever it is they are selling.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Enough posting from me. I go back to visit my family in Jersey Tuesday and first things I will do is get me a fried porgy sandwich, a pastrami and cheese sandwich so thick you can't open your mouth wide enough to bite into it, next some oxtails with that rich brown gravy, ................ oh I can go on and on.

Jan 9, 2004
Last two times I have been to sully's (in past 6 months) I had overcooked white fish, same for the prawn appy, which isn't pleasant! The lineup to get in and the tables almost on top of each other, to me not at all what it used to be!

I will agree overcooked fish is not pleasant and the same is true for tables on top of one another..and I agree that Sully's does that....and I dislike it as well.

But for all the times I have gone there, the seafood has been excellent.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Enough posting from me. I go back to visit my family in Jersey Tuesday and first things I will do is get me a fried porgy sandwich, a pastrami and cheese sandwich so thick you can't open your mouth wide enough to bite into it, next some oxtails with that rich brown gravy, ................ oh I can go on and on.

if you live near to POP, you can get the best oxtails with rich brown gravy. from me. nobody sells it in any restaurant i know of.

i am making a pot, as we speak. with lima beans, to boot!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
if you live near to POP, you can get the best oxtails with rich brown gravy. from me. nobody sells it in any restaurant i know of.

i am making a pot, as we speak. with lima beans, to boot!

white limas? man will you stop! I am hungry and you making matters worse.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
white limas? man will you stop! I am hungry and you making matters worse.

as i said, if you are anywhere near POP, pm me when you get back. you will get the best oxtail you have ever seen, and tasted. nothing in this land comes close.

have a safe flight.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
as i said, if you are anywhere near POP, pm me when you get back. you will get the best oxtail you have ever seen, and tasted. nothing in this land comes close.

have a safe flight.

I was polite and asked you to stop, but to the peeps who enjoy oxtail as crazy as it sounds a three and a half hour bus ride would be well worth it. Plus they freeze well for another day. I can bring the hot sauce.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Back to fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no mussels, no scallops, no "real" lobster,,,,,,,,,nothing at all.

I have my supply of fish but I bring it down frozen rock hard every time I return to Paridise without fish. I also bring down frozen 80/20 ground beef for them juicy charcoal cooked burgers. I buy shrink wrapped pork and beef ribs to bring down also.

But dang, why no fish here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was polite and asked you to stop, but to the peeps who enjoy oxtail as crazy as it sounds a three and a half hour bus ride would be well worth it. Plus they freeze well for another day. I can bring the hot sauce.

actually, i have a better idea. pm me when you get back, and i will freeze them and put them on a bus to you. they will survive the ride.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
actually, i have a better idea. pm me when you get back, and i will freeze them and put them on a bus to you. they will survive the ride.

if you serious I will take you up on the offer. I can PayPal you for whatever cost. I just have this thing for oxtail and that Jamacian, West Indies rich, super rich brown gravy. A serving for ten would be a good starter. Shucks man, I can eat a serving for nine myself. I can do the white limas and arroz, or better yet mac' n cheese.

I have to take my siesta cause you ruined my day..............

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Do not wast your time or money there in no good seafood in the RD. Just get some fried chicken. May be Mike Fisher can take you out fishing.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Sorry for my abundance of threads but I'm too excited about my upcoming trip. I'm gonna be in SD and want to know who has the best seafood? I love crabs, shrimp, fish, muscles and scallops.. Also lobster

This my first time and I want a place that has great seafood and is very clean and sanitary. Any suggestions?

There is a Spanish Seafood Restaurant across the street from Price Club on Charlie Sumner - don't recall the name but it is a one story building on the corner of the Price Club driveway closest to Churchill. A bit old fashioned like a Cantabrico but less expensive

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Get out of SD and take a trip to Coson on the Samana Peninsula. Go to Luis' right on the beach in Coson. The freshest, Sea Bass, Lobster, Squid and Shrimp along with all the fixins', red beans and rice, ensalada and papa fritas. Bring your bathing suit and swim, have a drink and chill out. This place is open for lunch only and worth the 2hour drive from the city. You can make a whole day of it. Bon appetito

Jan 3, 2003
Back to fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no mussels, no scallops, no "real" lobster,,,,,,,,,nothing at all.

I have my supply of fish but I bring it down frozen rock hard every time I return to Paridise without fish. I also bring down frozen 80/20 ground beef for them juicy charcoal cooked burgers. I buy shrink wrapped pork and beef ribs to bring down also.

But dang, why no fish here.

You freight that haul down to paradise or as a check-in on the plane? You spend a fortune doing that?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Chopo Place

Get out of SD and take a trip to Coson on the Samana Peninsula. Go to Luis' right on the beach in Coson. The freshest, Sea Bass, Lobster, Squid and Shrimp along with all the fixins', red beans and rice, ensalada and papa fritas.(...) worth the 2hour drive from the city.

Come on, Steve.
We know you praise Saman? all the time.
Sweet retrospection (from the US)? :rolleyes:

Louis' place is much overrated; it's a 'chopo' place and the capitale?os hanging out there on a weekend are obnoxious rabble. :tired:

Shrimps with red beans... yeah, and a 'salad ? la Dominicana'?
{Have you ever had a look into the 'kitchen'?}

I could be there in 25 minutes, but's it's a waste of fuel.

Bon appetito

You are losing it... it's "buen provecho".

And BTW, it's "buena suerte".

donP