Best seafood in Santo Domingo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
US shrink wrapped ribs (Baby Back) are available in RD....Nacional sometimes and others, I suppose.

Go to Nello's Carnes Selectas for good ribs and Argentinian beef..... excellent.
It may be a long way from your aerie, but is worth the trip

gibbs

May 31, 2005
I have eaten at Sully's a couple of times and it was always excellent. Even the service was good.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
I have eaten at Sully's a couple of times and it was always excellent. Even the service was good.

Yes I agree Sully's is good. Found another good one - a bit $$$ but very good. Boga Boga just off Bolivar a few blocks behind Hospiten in Santo Domingo.

paladino

Jan 4, 2007
Do not wast your time or money there in no good seafood in the RD. Just get some fried chicken. May be Mike Fisher can take you out fishing.

I am not able to provide you with a recommendation other than don't set you expectations to high.

It's been a few years but I brought my family to RD and we intentional went to Zona Colonial for the El Conde thing and we had an ok time but we also went there thinking we could be guaranteed to find some good seafood. In Spanish in asked three different people for the best seafood within walking distance. They all recommended a place about 4 blocks off Independence Park and El Conde and to be honest I don't remember nor want to remember the name. It was a local place not touristy. They had absolutely no shrimp, no fish selection of our knowledge so we said 'What is your best?' they brought out three bowls of some amazingly mediocre fish stew thing. Oh they were so proud of . We ate looking at each other paid and used their restrooms and as we were leaving they asked how we liked it. ......she was not enthused with my response since I told honestly it was pretty bland, simple and i would never visit again if this was their best thing to offer.

We learned....unless you know for sure a place, don't eat seafood in RD.

BTW: alot of folks make a big deal about wanting fresh fish... Well I got some news for you.. all fish that enters the trucked [meaning you can buy fresh at a fishing port, like in Florida, no problem but if it travels...] USA food chain by law must be frozen at least once except for things like shellfish, oysters, living until can be eaten to some degree. All fish is frozen to kill the parasites on the fish. Unless you understand, it's better to freeze the fish and then thaw when ready to cook otherwse you need to deep fried . Pan sear will not kill the parasites. And my love of seafood has not changed by knowing this.

Last edited:

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
We had nice Langostina at Jelly Fish the other night.. we keep our expectations low.. of course its not CANADIAN LOBSTER...FYI, New England lobster is really Canuck lobster... Americans don't know how to grow lobster either...
But New England Clam Chowder!!! Yummy!!!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think the problem with fish in the capital is simply one of refrigeration from the time the fish is caught to the time it is put in the refrigerator of the restaurant . I do not eat fish in the capital but I am happy to eat it at Neptunos at Boca Chica ..at a pinch ..and at Juan Dolio . In Romana there is a very good fish restaurant called Marinellys ..they have a huge cold storage and supply fish to many other restaurants .. I always eat there when in la Romana

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Plaice is Nice

Somehow fish from the Caribbean waters is not very tasty, I find.
A North Sea plaice is what I want... :bunny:

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
COLD water is good for ALL CREATURES OF THE SEA!!!
"Spiny lobster,..why bother, shell fish from warm waters,never mind!!!
Just like humans, the ones from warm places are worthless!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I had bought kilo bag of wasabi powder that was imported from Japan, that was used in exclusively in one of top NYC restaurant. I had used very little and almost none on fresh seafood, I had given away all.

Does this answer original poster?

May 29, 2006
WHY?
Is there something in the water around this island?

It's not what's in the water around the island as much as the 10 million ppl living on it. The reefs are extensively overfished and run off from the island isn't helping. The commercial fishing industry is for deep sea fish and usually for export. Most mero is imported and even the lobster is brought in when there are shortages and seasonal bans. Small time fishermen sell locally because the cost of putting a dolrado(Mahi Mahi) on a pick-up packed in ice and hauling it 50 miles to the capitol can't compete with imported fish and their cost is already high from being out in the ocean in relatively smaller boats. Just because you have a shoreline in the tropics doesn't mean you have reefs teaming with fish all around the island.

While they still find the giant lobsters once or twice a year(prob from deep waters), you've got more and more restaurants selling "baby lobsters" only about 6"-8" long. They don't grow up to make more lobsters. Fisheries management is difficult to enforce and usually hurts the poorest fist. AIs will simply import from other countries while the lobster guys go hungry looking for other species to fish.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
At any restaurant check out what they serve as sea bass or “mero”. Ask if they use mero basa before ordering. Do not order "mero" or ceviche if they use mero basa.

At Boga Boga they do not use mero basa.

Was at Sully once with friends, and was embarrassed when they served mero basa. It’s the cheap cultured fish, believe from Vietnam.

So, always ask.

Loved to go to Sully’s for the small langostinos. Delicious the way they made it with butter, garlic and paprika – or at least tasted like that. But after that happened to us, have not been back. May be time to go back.

The Spanish restaurants will serve good seafood – El Gallego (in front of the National Library on Cesar Nicolas Penson), the pricey Don Pepe.

New in Santo Domingo is Limao, on Virgilio Diaz Ordonez, just up from Multicentro La Sirena, before getting to Bravo. Dominican chef who worked in a Peruvian restaurant in Buenos Aires and has returned. They have delicious ceviche made with dorado.

Samurai has always been good for Japanese food with good fresh fish.

Nipau on Max Henriquez Urena has good Mediterranean food.

Meson di Bari in the Colonial City is famous for its stewed conch and crab.

Paellas are good at Cane on Av. Gustavo Mejia Ricart.

Fideua is delicious at Meson Espanol in Juan Dolio, just 40 minutes to the East.

Seafood is best closest to where it is caught… thus the suggestions for Samana.
In front of the cemetery you can watch the fish brought in from the fishermen and buy from them.

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I don't know the name of the place but it is on Charles Sumner across from Pricemart. I heard about the place since i moved here but just tried it for the first time a few weeks ago. Go with an apatite because the portions of fish are huge!!!