Blue Mall

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Blue mall intersection need for safety improvement.

Traffic lights / semáforos will need to be installed soon at the intersection at least to maintain order. We all know and understand there will be operators who will evade the purpose of signals. This is especially a behavior of some, not all, transport drivers going to and from the airport. The bad ones risk accidents to gain two centimeters or five seconds. The gov't will need to install jersey barriers or similar structures in the road centers near the intersection. This action will prevent drivers from avoiding red signals. The drivers who put us all at risk of injury or worse are the ones who use the right exit ramp to access and traverse over the cross road to use the opposite ramp to retake and continue the original forward direction. We see this done many times at the airport's northern service road, Blvd Turistico de Este, and Rt 106 intersection.

Regards,

PJT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
computer translation:

Blue Mall shopping center opens in Punta Cana

PUNTA CANA, La Altagracia. President Danilo Medina inaugurated the modern shopping mall Blue Mall that will generate 3,500 direct and indirect jobs.

Frank Rainieri noted that the new shopping center receives the Zara brand, with the largest store in Latin America, as well as the seven major trade marks in the world.

Meanwhile, Simón Lizardo, administrator of the Reserve Bank, said that the Dominican Republic maintains regional leadership in the tourism sector and added that figures show this.

Lizardo explained that in the last five years, the country has received 29 million tourists, surpassing the sum of the population of Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Puerto Rico.

Blue Mall Punta Cana has 18 thousand meters of construction and more than 14 commercial options, as well as other attractions.

Photos and article:

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/inauguran-en-punta-cana-centro-comercial-blue-mall-DA7929261

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Sorry just saw this. It wasn't THAT bad, just a bit more traffic than usual and plenty of people trying to cross the airport highway from Blue Mall. Amets that were there were useless as far as I could see. Some of the speed bumps that were reinstalled had already gotten pulled out of the road and were scattered all over like mines. Also had to be careful of the maintenance crews who were still painting the lines in the street and cleaning up. Other than that, business as usual...

We did go to San Juan and there was actually no traffic to speak of, maybe even less than usual.  What I could not see (though did not really look) were where the entrance was. Thank you for your info.  Jeb

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The president was there (along with all the investors of the mall including owners of the stores + other government officials).

Roughly 3,500 people will make a living employed directly and indirectly by this mall that these people made possible.

It's the only mall in a tourist area that has all the stores of the Spanish conglomerate Inditex (includes the largest Zara store in Latin America.)

[video=youtube;v_TNqYfJOj0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_TNqYfJOj0[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In this news video clip of the inauguration, Mr Velutini (the main Venezuelan investor of all the Blue Malls in the Caribbean, although he lives full time in the DR) says that the main target market for the mall is the local population (from La Romana to Punta Cana including Higüey) and the second most important is the weekend visitors from the interior of the country (especially Santo Domingo.) I guess the market study revealed that the repeat businesses from these population groups will make up most of the potential sales in the mall. The tourists presumably will be the third pillar.

Mr Rainieri (the president of Grupo Puntacana and the main Dominican investor) mentions the need the DR has to adopt Duty Free shopping at its touristic centers. Obviously the 18% sales tax is a lag that could affect tourist spending in the mall, and perhaps that's the reason the main target for the mall are local Dominicans from the middle class and up (and the expats too.) Converting the DR into an international shopping destination is simply not feasible with current conditions, especially the sales tax.

[video=youtube;LYRYFyEviZQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYRYFyEviZQ[/video]

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Converting the DR into an international shopping destination is simply not feasible with current conditions, especially the sales tax

That's bullshlt. Even if DR Government will eliminate that 18% tax, those store owners will raise prices 18% up again. Prices never go down in DR, only up.

And converting DR into an international shopping destination is simply not feasible because we already have Panama for that, for those latinos who don't have US visa and not able to travel to Miami for shopping.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
In this news video clip of the inauguration, Mr Velutini (the main Venezuelan investor of all the Blue Malls in the Caribbean, although he lives full time in the DR) says that the main target market for the mall is the local population (from La Romana to Punta Cana including Higüey) and the second most important is the weekend visitors from the interior of the country (especially Santo Domingo.) I guess the market study revealed that the repeat businesses from these population groups will make up most of the potential sales in the mall. The tourists presumably will be the third pillar.

Mr Rainieri (the president of Grupo Puntacana and the main Dominican investor) mentions the need the DR has to adopt Duty Free shopping at its touristic centers. Obviously the 18% sales tax is a lag that could affect tourist spending in the mall, and perhaps that's the reason the main target for the mall are local Dominicans from the middle class and up (and the expats too.) Converting the DR into an international shopping destination is simply not feasible with current conditions, especially the sales tax.

[video=youtube;LYRYFyEviZQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYRYFyEviZQ[/video]

Visited yesterday...except for Zara, right now, very unfortunately, , IMHO...Meh. There are other boutiques scheduled to open but this mall as it is now is just another place for low quality tourist junk.  So disappointed! Again there are other locations in this one floor mega space that are still being worked on, but my goodness Blue Mall not yet ready for prime time.  There was nothing except L'Occidente that tempted me..and they didn't even have the "soap" that this store is the most famous for. Duh...  Food Court? Pizza Hut, Subway, Applebees with others due to open. As I mentioned Zara clothes seemed very very nice..quality. I will be back though as it is so close by and will be a great place to walk around for exercise.  It will appeal to the young. It does already have that teenage vibe.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Tourist zone = high rents, high transportation costs, high prices, and a sprinkle of greed. Then, top it off with consumers who will pay the high prices.

Regards,

PJT

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
That's bullshlt. Even if DR Government will eliminate that 18% tax, those store owners will raise prices 18% up again. Prices never go down in DR, only up.

And converting DR into an international shopping destination is simply not feasible because we already have Panama for that, for those latinos who don't have US visa and not able to travel to Miami for shopping.

I was in Panama last year and visitted diferents ahopping malls and the prices were very Similars to prices in Dominican Republic, i only bough 2 pair of sport shoes on sale.  Everything else same prices as here.

About the 18% turist will hve to claim refund at the airport before departure, thats how works all over the world where is avilable by law this grace for turist.

Im traveling to Argentina soon and my hotel booking didnt charge me 21% tax because im turist and paid with international credit card.  Will find out later more or less how is the price for locals after arrive

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I was in Panama last year and visitted diferents ahopping malls and the prices were very Similars to prices in Dominican Republic, i only bough 2 pair of sport shoes on sale.  Everything else same prices as here.

About the 18% turist will hve to claim refund at the airport before departure, thats how works all over the world where is avilable by law this grace for turist.

Im traveling to Argentina soon and my hotel booking didnt charge me 21% tax because im turist and paid with international credit card.  Will find out later more or less how is the price for locals after arrive

Hi Riva.  I am jealous of your upcoming trip to Argentina.  I look forward to your posting info whenever you return.  I looked into going about a year ago and at that time found the airfare prohibitively expensive.  We are confident we will get to Buenos Aires and other parts of that great country sooner rather than later.  Love the fact of your hotel booking.  Jeb

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hi Riva.  I am jealous of your upcoming trip to Argentina.  I look forward to your posting info whenever you return.  I looked into going about a year ago and at that time found the airfare prohibitively expensive.  We are confident we will get to Buenos Aires and other parts of that great country sooner rather than later.  Love the fact of your hotel booking.  Jeb

Im planning this trip very long ago and tickets prices always expesibe, I booked with travelocity my flight,  Avianca had better proce and schedule, arriving Buenos Aires 6 am and back arriving 5:30 pm.  Direct on Avianca website was 1,343.00 so I got very good price.  Later copa dropped prices to 1,099.00 but arriving Buenos Aires at midnight and back to Dominican at 10:30 pm.  Couldnt get better price because had to wait 30 days for Visa application.  We got plane tickets to Iguazu for 144.00 on Kayak round trip, very lucky to got it half price, and also planning 1 night in Asuncion going by Bus to Paraguay.  Just waitting date to leave.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Im planning this trip very long ago and tickets prices always expesibe, I booked with travelocity my flight,  Avianca had better proce and schedule, arriving Buenos Aires 6 am and back arriving 5:30 pm.  Direct on Avianca website was 1,343.00 so I got very good price.  Later copa dropped prices to 1,099.00 but arriving Buenos Aires at midnight and back to Dominican at 10:30 pm.  Couldnt get better price because had to wait 30 days for Visa application.  We got plane tickets to Iguazu for 144.00 on Kayak round trip, very lucky to got it half price, and also planning 1 night in Asuncion going by Bus to Paraguay.  Just waitting date to leave.

Sounds wonderful! Iguazu I, as Obviously you have too, should be memorable. But I forgot to ask ... Where are you flying from?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
These are some of the stores at this mall.

Anyone familiar with malls in Santo Domingo and Santiago will immediately recognize many of these brands.

BMS1.png

BMS2.png

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Went yesterday. It looks really nice, a bit over half the stores are open I would estimate. There's a department store opening too, curious to see what they'll have. Not many stores there for me really but nice to see and walk around. Hard Rock Cafe, Burros Borrachos and Pizza Hut are open, a few others still under construction. Yes, there are a few gift shops by the north entrance but most stores are clothing and accesories. Also saw a Supermercado Nacional sign on the east side so still looks like they'll eventually build there. Parking lot's a bit complicated, they'll have to put up a few more signs to keep people from driving around in circles imho.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Sounds wonderful! Iguazu I, as Obviously you have too, should be memorable. But I forgot to ask ... Where are you flying from?
 I will make SDQ-BOG EZE return EZE-BOG-SDQ and while in Buenos Aires AEP-IGR-AEP.  From Aeroparque flight was cheapper than Departing from EZeiza and a friend told that was easier to arrive to Aeroparque.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Went yesterday. It looks really nice, a bit over half the stores are open I would estimate. There's a department store opening too, curious to see what they'll have. Not many stores there for me really but nice to see and walk around. Hard Rock Cafe, Burros Borrachos and Pizza Hut are open, a few others still under construction. Yes, there are a few gift shops by the north entrance but most stores are clothing and accesories. Also saw a Supermercado Nacional sign on the east side so still looks like they'll eventually build there. Parking lot's a bit complicated, they'll have to put up a few more si,
gns to keep people from driving around in circles imho.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

Kate..hi. Where is the dept store? I must have missed which space it will be in. And interesting that Nacional still has its plans. That will be very nice.  What do you think might happen to restaurants in PCV?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Kate..hi. Where is the dept store? I must have missed which space it will be in. And interesting that Nacional still has its plans. That will be very nice.  What do you think might happen to restaurants in PCV?

The department store will be on the southeast side next to Farmacia Carol. Couldn't tell how big it will be though. Originally CCN (Nacional and Jumbo) was supposed to build where Ilumel is but instead remodeled the bowling alley where they currently are. Very possible that an agreement was reached that they would build something larger later on. As for the restaurants in PCV, they might feel the effect a bit at the beginning but I wouldn't be worried about Wendy's, Mamma Luisa, Brot, Pizzarelli and el Burrito. They've been there a while and have their clientele and half are much cheaper than anything at BMall. The other newer restaurants should start looking at ways to promote more and try to attract new clients.

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
These are some of the stores at this mall.

Anyone familiar with malls in Santo Domingo and Santiago will immediately recognize many of these brands.

BMS1.png

BMS2.png

Department store is Aliss, here's the website http://www.aliss.com/

Every new mall in Santo Domingo has the same stores.

The only new one to DR that I see here is Aliss, is that already open? If yes, I will try to visit it on Wednesday.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
The department store will be on the southeast side next to Farmacia Carol. Couldn't tell how big it will be though. Originally CCN (Nacional and Jumbo) was supposed to build where Ilumel is but instead remodeled the bowling alley where they currently are. Very possible that an agreement was reached that they would build something larger later on. As for the restaurants in PCV, they might feel the effect a bit at the beginning but I wouldn't be worried about Wendy's, Mamma Luisa, Brot, Pizzarelli and el Burrito. They've been there a while and have their clientele and half are much cheaper than anything at BMall. The other newer restaurants should start looking at ways to promote more and try to attract new clients.

Thank you so much for all the info.  Jeb