Blue Mall

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Every new mall in Santo Domingo has the same stores.

The only new one to DR that I see here is Aliss, is that already open? If yes, I will try to visit it on Wednesday.

No, not open as of yesterday.

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Aliss has stores open in Santo Domingo at Acropolis and Sambil malls.

Really? Thanks for the info! I don't like to go to Sambil because of its next-to-ghetto location, but Acropolis is ok... By the way, Acropolis looks a bit dead since Blue Mall has opened next to it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Aliss has stores open in Santo Domingo at Acropolis and Sambil malls.
Also in Santiago at Colinas Mall.

Speaking of department stores, one store from Central America that I would like to see in the DR (and I really don't know why they haven't expanded to the DR yet) is Siman. It's based in El Salvador but they have stores up and down the isthmus, even in Nicaragua which is the poorest Spanish-speaking country in the world (unless Venezuela has fallen that low by now.) If Managua, which as a city doesn't quite reaches the levels of development seen in Santiago, let alone Santo Domingo, can support a Siman; the DR can definitely support quite a few stores.

Pseg24

Sep 21, 2016
Yes Mega traffic mess will occur And factor in Dominican drivers and I do not believe I exaggerate. I come from The Major City so I know what I speak about. When was the last time you drove on that one road? Sounds like you do not know what you are talking about. Talking about SD? .please don't compare that mess with Anything. It will be a mess here if someone does not pay attention.

1. I lived in New York City for 34 years, so I think I know about traffic and what to compare it to. 2. I drove down that road twice this week....there was 3 more cars than usual.....

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
1. I lived in New York City for 34 years, so I think I know about traffic and what to compare it to. 2. I drove down that road twice this week....there was 3 more cars than usual.....

I do now agree with you.  What I anticipated was wrong.  I have also driven here a few times already (used to drive via cap cana road).  It is quieter than usual. I think Blue Mall huge disappointment and no one is yet flocking to see same old same old. And I Pseg24 lived and live in NYC all my life.  Though now much of my year spent here.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
From the speeches the owners made and all, they were supposedly aiming more for the local market. Thing is, the stores there that could work for the majority of the local market population (minimum salary to approx. 45k pesos/month) are very few (KB, Farmacia Carol, Helados Bon, etc). So that leaves the population of managers and up and of those, many go to Santo Domingo on the weekends and buy over there or like I do, travel once or twice a year and load up abroad. I earn a bit above average for this area but don't see myself going shopping for much there. 4000+ pesos sheets at Sara Hogar, yeah right! Window shopping and oooing and aaawing over some of the new stuff, sure. Occasional special meal at Hard Rock Cafe, yeah, maybe a few times a year. So unless they start getting the tourists from the higher end resorts who are looking at doing some nice shipping (preferably with a free shuttle like Plaza San Juan and I think Palma Real), it'll be tough for all those stores to produce $$. The first thing I wondered when I walked in was how the small boutiques that have only a few dozen high-end items will survive...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
People should keep in mind that this mall is partially owned and operated by the Velutini family.

Unlike most Dominican malls, they rent their commercial space instead of selling them, and in addition to the rent they also charge a certain percentage of the sales of each store. That way management keep an eye on how each store is doing and, if the necessity pops up, they can cancel the rental agreement with the underperformers and replace them with a more promising store.

As of right now they are going by what the market studies suggested, but as time goes on they will tinker with their tenant mix until the mall produces the right amount of total sales.

They will also hold many events, just like in Santo Domingo. Blue Mall PC even has an amphitheater with the large fountain that's visible from the road forming its backdrop. With these events many people will attend and quite a few will compulsively buy something.

The Blue Mall brand is already a status symbol in Dominican society. People that buy at the Blue Mall Santo Domingo will also buy at the Blue Mall Punta Cana. In the same light, people that think its important for them to be seen at Blue Mall Santo Domingo will think the same about Blue Mall Punta Cana.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Blue Mall PC during its construction and inauguration (2 minutes and some seconds long)

[video=youtube;Peb-b2q0TQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Peb-b2q0TQA[/video]

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Took a look today for the first time. Traffic, you have to be kidding, no one there, no cars, nada. This Mall is going over like a lead balloon in flight. In SD it is different than PC. In PC you have people that are in and out of the DR on a regular basis. None of these people want to pay inflated prices for the goods they are selling. You can do tons better in Miami or any large city in Europe.

In SD the rich Dominicans want to be seen at the Blue Mall, and there are a lot more of them in SD.

Much ado about nothing.........

Jan 7, 2016
There more than likely will be an increase in traffic there once the Tourist Season gets into full-swing. They'll start busing loads of Gringos in like they do at San Juan and the mall at Cocotal. It doesn't matter. There is a cycle of waxing and waning of the businesses in PC all dependent on the amount of tourists as customers.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For some reason this thread is reminding me of the old Ikea thread.

Are people still betting its going out of business soon? lol

Actually, I think Blue Mall Santo Domingo got a similar treatment on DR1 too, but then the years pass and the mall remain open and people simply gave up on the doom and gloom.

Jan 7, 2016
Ikea in Punta Cana is not breaking any records either.

Maybe not, but it's difficult as hell to get waited-on in that store! Always lines at each sales kiosk and the pick-up line is unbelievable. It wasn't designed to be a thriving commercial venture, just a source of orders for the Santo Domingo Mother Ship!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Maybe not, but it's difficult as hell to get waited-on in that store! Always lines at each sales kiosk and the pick-up line is unbelievable. It wasn't designed to be a thriving commercial venture, just a source of orders for the Santo Domingo Mother Ship!

Every time I go by there no one is even in the store.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've been to the Blue Mall Punta Cana three times. My first two visits were shortly after it first opened and it was rather depressing. All those well-stocked shops and not a customer in sight, only window shoppers like me and desperate-looking shop assistants trying to make me feel guilty for not buying anything.

Yesterday evening I finally decided to go back at my son's recommendation, for a snack from one of the food trucks in the food hall. The food was reasonably priced, there were quite a few people around, especially in the food area, but some were even carrying several shopping bags full of purchases.

Recommendation: the Venezuelan food truck has a good selection of arepas, cachapas, chimis and burgers, including a veggie burger - very good indeed. They also have a good selection of craft beers. The other food truck (Greek) also looked good, and they have veggie options like falafel too. We then had ice cream at Valentino's. I still prefer Cinco but it wasn't bad.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Blue Mall in Santo Domingo is the same. Quite a few folks enjoying the small cafes, some in the phone shops, and everything else is empty shops.

The food court on the 4th floor originally had maybe 15 different choices for food, now I think Hard Rock Cafe is the only one.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The prices in these malls are ridiculous. Anyone that travels frequently would never shop there.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The prices in these malls are ridiculous. Anyone that travels frequently would never shop there.

The only persons who would buy something there are hotel guests upstairs who want to buy something for their "visitor"

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was surprised to see several shoppers with bulging shopping bags. We joked that they must be paid for walking around with bags stuffed with paper.