Boca Chica...safe or in denial?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i never stayed at Villa Florencia. i am looking into a trip real soon since So-Sewer is drying up. what other new hotels are in BC. my favorite use to be El Candil.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I had an experience where a restaurant tried to charge us over the meal cost in tax which put the bill at around RD$4,000 for chicken & fries, pork chop and fries, and a few beers.
The guy on the next table go the same shock and was being badly bullied. I refused to pay that cost and guns were pulled from behind the bar. They tried to bully us but I ended up paying less than RD2,000 after a lot of threatening and BS.

I wasn't trouble seeking, only not seeking to be robbed!

BC has a bad reputation for this kind of behavior. They try to charge you a table charge and then jack up your bill. I wouldn't stay overnight there unless I absolutely, positively, had no other choice. These people have created a bad vibe for tourists and ex-pats here.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
El Candil is closed and for sale.

Hotels in Boca Chica close/ change owners, prices/ move on a moments notice. It's always a good idea to call 1st.

It's also a good idea to check the available rooms before committing. In the D.R. hotel rooms have the uncanny ability to each take on a unique identity even though they all start out the same.

In the States I can go to Hilton or Windham or Holiday Inn just about anywhere and the rooms are pretty much the same regardless of what city I'm in whereas in the D.R. and in Boca Chica particularly I can check out 10 rooms in the same hotel and no two of them are the same. It's a matter of personal preference and which amenities one can live without.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Yes, they're places that will jack you up. This happens when you listen to one of the bucones saying that he will give you good food for a cheap price. This is especially done at the place right next to the Boat House, beware!!!
The rest of the places are allright, all you have to do is to ask the prices first.
Foreigners should go to the Boat House and Village on the Beach.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, they're places that will jack you up. This happens when you listen to one of the bucones saying that he will give you good food for a cheap price. This is especially done at the place right next to the Boat House, beware!!!
The rest of the places are allright, all you have to do is to ask the prices first.
Foreigners should go to the Boat House and Village on the Beach.

When I was looking at the boat house, I asked one of these Imbecile where it was. He took me to a place, we sat down, we get the menu and another name was on the menu. He had the nerves to tell me this was the place I was looking for and they had just changed names and the place was 2 min from the boat house (on the left)! We just got up and I ended up asking one of the "parking guy", that s how we found the boat house . A relief, the other places where way too crowded and overpriced. :bunny: