British tourists stage sit in complaining about local Dominicans behaviour

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
You don't have to go all the way to the D.R. to find idiots and/or children pooing in a pool.
For all anybody knows it was a drunken Brit that shat in the pool.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Beware of those "super cheap" deals. My daughter was guilty of purchasing such a deal in a POP hotel recently. Her room toilet didn't work. There's a reason that hotels offer "super cheaps." The level of hotel saturation and competition in the DR is daunting. "Super cheaps" are struggling to keep up. The hotel changed my daughter's room. She reported that while the hotel was disappointing, the excursions more than made up.

Aug 19, 2004
Stories like these are a dime a dozen and to be sure the horrific tales of urine and feces all over the place have no doubt been embellished right out of reality.

Agree with your comments flyinroom. No supprise that the only place where this story appeared was the Daily Mail. Another nasty piece of s**t.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Beware of those "super cheap" deals. My daughter was guilty of purchasing such a deal in a POP hotel recently. Her room toilet didn't work. There's a reason that hotels offer "super cheaps." The level of hotel saturation and competition in the DR is daunting. "Super cheaps" are struggling to keep up. The hotel changed my daughter's room. She reported that while the hotel was disappointing, the excursions more than made up.

But, 12000 is not cheap, bro! How can you say it is cheap when it is 95 bucks per person, a night in a 3rd world country?
It may be cheap for the LOCALS! But not cheap for foreigners. And that is where the hotel management has dropped the ball big times.
I do not care about Locals this, locals that. if you want FOREGNERS, TOURISTS to vist your country, your hotel, they need to be treated with respect. They cannot be intimidated by locals. The hotel has to be able to put LOCALS in their place like the FOREIGNERS. Period
This is not hotel! It is A COCK FIGHT PLACE!

Feb 7, 2007
this is the agency that does the bookings for the Dominicans.. if you have a cedula you can get these prices

Mi Gente: Todos los Hoteles de Republica Dominicana para Dominicanos

Those are local rates... which means they are HIGHER than foreign rate for any country.

That's why I book resorts through German tour operators.
Btw British rates are one of the cheapest in the market (for Hotel Stay) for example last year in off-season, Bahia Principe Punta Cana (where our macho fighters vacationed) cost just over $40 wholesale per person per night.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Talk about "All Inclusive" a free golden shower. People pay good money for those in Sosua

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
and this is newsworthy? Dominicans taking a dump in a hotel pool, and whizzing on deck chairs with people on them? taking all the food? ho hum..yawn
Pretty normal stuff, if it was Sosua ... and it would be the Dominicans complaining about the tourists.

Feb 7, 2007
But, 12000 is not cheap, bro! How can you say it is cheap when it is 95 bucks per person, a night in a 3rd world country?
It may be cheap for the LOCALS! But not cheap for foreigners. And that is where the hotel management has dropped the ball big times.
I do not care about Locals this, locals that. if you want FOREGNERS, TOURISTS to vist your country, your hotel, they need to be treated with respect. They cannot be intimidated by locals. The hotel has to be able to put LOCALS in their place like the FOREIGNERS. Period
This is not hotel! It is A COCK FIGHT PLACE!

12 k pounds for 8, for 14 nights. That's 71 pounds per person, after the airfare (charter, roughly 500 pounds pp), per night.

I guess Thomson made a $hitload of money, because 71 pounds is 105 dollars. This room currently wholesales in Spain for US$50 per person per night.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Just a bunch of Dom Yorks bringing the relatives to show off. Saw it before on Restoration Day weekend. Just need to be aware that during the summer month Doms flock home to show off so do not book AI's.

Feb 7, 2007
I just checked, local rate is 2400 pesos per person per night in Riu Merengue (what the client pays). So yes, the Britons could have complained about the "cheap" rate the locals paid, but actually one who screwed them was Thomson charging them 100+ dollars per room per person pernight than what the hotel charges them wholesale.

In the DR, travel agents all sell at the same rate most of the time unless they have a special arrangement for a certain hotel where they bring huge groups. They get about 10% commission (discount) off the published rate, so US$52.5 rate the DR travel agent pays for Riu Merengue is roughly the same as what is wholesale in Spain. For large groups additional discount of up to 10% is possible, plus some free rooms for every XYZ participants (which can be resold).

With a 1000+ large local group, it is clear this was a corporate-sponsored holidays for employees, which included low level factory workers, guachimanes, etc. No self-organized group reaches 100 persons, much less 1000 persons.

Affluent DR families (who drink and eat much as well, but make less scandal) prefer 5 star resorts and usually go to Punta Cana. Corporate sponsored trips for factory workers usually select among the cheapest hotels on the market.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
It is nothing to do with culture, it is just nasty. Yes some Brits are even more nasty when they pop off on thier annual trip to Majorca, but I'd like to think it is not cultural of the Brits, and again simply the binge crowd being rude, nasty, filthy and drunk. I'd not expect to pay Punta Cana prices and be stood in the pool with a floating turd by my side. These people talk about how filthy Haitians are how bad mannered they are, how they are a lower life form and how they spread cholera and other disease and then go around doing stuff like this, funnily not surprising though!

It has everything to do with culture. The i dont give a f-ck about anyone but myself culture. The only culture this country has. Dominican lower/middle class is as filthy as it gets. How many times in the U.S. have you walked to a pool to find a turd? How many times in the U.S. have you gone to the beach to find a turd in the water? Never happened to me back home. Has happened to me 3 seperate times here in the DR.

I have never in my life met another culture that values simple human decency so little as dominicans do.

This all reverts back to one problem, lack of education. Schools dont teach family values here. Families dont teach family values here. No one takes the time to teach children anything about taking care of anything. Everything is about seeing how quickly you can destroy something and then hoping someone gives you another one. If this country lasts another 50 yrs without imploding I will be very surprised.

Disclaimer: yes yes yes, i know, not all dominicans are the same, blah blah blah, but when 95% of the population is like that, well then....

Last edited:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Disclaimer: yes yes yes, i know, not all dominicans are the same, blah blah blah, but when 95% of the population is like that, well then....

You've met 95% of the population!!!!

I must admit, I'm very impressed.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
One of the hotels replies to these concerns. "The culture in the Dominican Republic is very different and it is very important to us that all clients enjoy their holidays in our hotels."
I guess the hotels who mix locals with foreigners need to install outdoor, open air toilets rising out from the pools. Also special buffet rooms for locals who have not eaten for a month to prepare for this "chipmunk storing" glutten food fest.
Sadly I have seen similar many times at countless hotels here. It is a reason I will never return to Capella in JD, but many others in PC as well. The culture which is defended here all the time as "lovely people" of which are many dont get me wrong, but what trumps those is the normalcy we experience which is more of a "bad service" "late for everything" " no awareness or concern for others around you". Hell the hotel experience is the same way the streets and parks are treated by most. Its sad when people scream of patriotism and "i love my country" and then you see this..... Much easier to bare the one off "hockey style beatings that happen very infrequently, then being ****ed on while lounging poolside at a 5 star resort.
Scare off the whoremongers and now the families. Tourism marketing at its best!

That is really funny about the culture part! Therefore, other people do not need to venture in the Dr! Because, even if you pay big bucks, the locals will still be able to overun you!
Wow!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It has everything to do with culture. The i dont give a f-ck about anyone but myself culture. The only culture this country has. Dominican lower/middle class is as filthy as it gets. How many times in the U.S. have you walked to a pool to find a turd? How many times in the U.S. have you gone to the beach to find a turd in the water? Never happened to me back home. Has happened to me 3 seperate times here in the DR.

I have never in my life met another culture that values simple human decency so little as dominicans do.

This all reverts back to one problem, lack of education. Schools dont teach family values here. Families dont teach family values here. No one takes the time to teach children anything about taking care of anything. Everything is about seeing how quickly you can destroy something and then hoping someone gives you another one. If this country lasts another 50 yrs without imploding I will be very surprised.

This is not culture and this does not include 95% of the population. There is a generational breakdown here in DR that is very evident in the significant change in tone over very recent years. New mothers and grandmothers have sprung sprogs into a void in moral, ethical and respectful thinking, I don't know what happened but I can draw a very definitive line between a generational age gap and the drop in those standards I mentioned above.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
To me, it is purely about EDUCATION! No respect for no one, expect myself!
Hum!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is not culture. this is anticulture. and people tell me i should respect that. how about no?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
To me, it is purely about EDUCATION! No respect for no one, expect myself!
Hum!

Are we still talking about people crapping in pools? I don't think this is lack of education, lack of respect and drunkeness is responsible for that. Most Dominican who caught someone taking a turd in their pool would lynch the guy.