Laundry is beneath them - IMO... too pedestrian

Pedestrian is what we need

Any retail, needs a location....

As to your headline...
I live in Cabrera on the North Coast

I overlook the oldest lighthouse in the New World

Many of those 'Ricos' have never seen this part of their country
That's another story which I have posted before

But there are 'underground' ricos here.... almost invisible until they stand on their stash.

I would lose a money stacking contest every time...

I am not sure I follow this conversation anymore....(especially last 2 posts.....).

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Do you want to be informal market, or formal market?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Regarding a laundry shop, it just may assist some expatriates in wearing clean, pressed clothes out to dinner for a change. What a novel idea. For an added clientele, I do not know of too many doctors, lawyers, and university professors who have the free time or desire to wash and iron their own clothes.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are tens of thousands of locals that are so loaded with cash that you can't even imagine. But i do have to support your idea about washing and dry cleaning to 100%, There are very few and the ones that exist are extremely expensive. Only downside; you need a good location at least for the collection spot. And good locations cost a lot of money.
I wouldn't do a retail outlet. Spendy, and parking is always an issue. Do a light industrial where pretty and parking aren't issues and have pick-up & delivery at both residences and businesses.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
...and the owner wants it back all of a sudden once he sees the business is profitable, wanna bet? :D
The tenant laws of the DR largely prevent this, especially if you structure an iron-clad lease.

It is very common in the states to have a land lease for 20 or 30 years. Often hotel chains do precisely this for the same reason I suggest: preservation of capital. Fact is you'd depreciate the building to zero in 10-15 years anyway.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Regarding a laundry shop, it just may assist some expatriates in wearing clean, pressed clothes out to dinner for a change. What a novel idea. For an added clientele, I do not know of too many doctors, lawyers, and university professors who have the free time or desire to wash and iron their own clothes.

Most of them take them to the dry cleaners, and those are all over the place.

A place where they wash and press clothes would do pretty well IMHO, but only if the price is right.

Another thing I think would do well here is pincho stands. 4-5 chunks of BBQ pork with a piece of bread on the top for 100 pesos.

One wouldn't be worth it, but have a bunch of them spread all over the city at night near discos and night spots and you'd make money.

They're a national treasure in PR.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

They'll probably have maids to do it for them. ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Most of them take them to the dry cleaners, and those are all over the place.

A place where they wash and press clothes would do pretty well IMHO, but only if the price is right.

Another thing I think would do well here is pincho stands. 4-5 chunks of BBQ pork with a piece of bread on the top for 100 pesos.

One wouldn't be worth it, but have a bunch of them spread all over the city at night near discos and night spots and you'd make money.

They're a national treasure in PR.

JD, you said it all in one idea...100 pesos.

produce and sell something everybody can afford to buy, so you are not reliant upon one economic class. i have seen a lot of gringos opening high end restaurants, selling expensive dishes, and they fail from lack of clientele..

Aquazul Gypsy

Feb 13, 2018
Hey man whats going on? Im new on here but seen your post and thought id reply. Foremost im a 42 year old American and although im presently in Florida, i have lived and conducted business throughout the Caribbean and Central America for the past 10 years. Anyhow, i believe i will be relocating to DR in the very near future and have a unique and proven business model for the area. I dont want post it publicly but pm or email me and we can start a dialogue. Calm Seas, Fair Winds and Safe Harbor.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Hello there,
Russell here.
SUpplements are a good businessin zones where there wealthy people. I see them in Malls and supermarkets. But seldom see people buying. $LIFE is an American Multi-Level Marketing Company (Pyramid) and push supplements. Questionable results.
Illegal in Canada. Other supplement companies are ready willing and able to sell their products in RD at rock bottom prices.
But whatever you do invest in ensure you have a ''proven market'' , ''good Management'' and your money should be safe.
Do nothing out of emotion ;like''I always wanted to do this''.
The AibBnB is a good choice if you are organized. It brings in outside revenue and the World is your market. Even though you are located in RD. But, that is all a matter of opinion. Some pros and some cons.
There is nothing wrong with working a 16 hour day if you have the energy and youth to do it.
Just my 2pesos worth. I live in RD and Canada.
Russell

Aquazul Gypsy

Feb 13, 2018
Hey man whats going on? Im new on here but seen your post and thought id reply. Foremost im a 42 year old American and although im presently in Florida, i have lived and conducted business throughout the Caribbean and Central America for the past 10 years. Anyhow, i believe i will be relocating to DR in the very near future and have a unique and proven business model for the area. I dont want post it publicly but pm or email me and we can start a dialogue. Calm Seas, Fair Winds and Safe Harbor.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Hello there,
Russell here.
SUpplements are a good businessin zones where there wealthy people. I see them in Malls and supermarkets. But seldom see people buying. $LIFE is an American Multi-Level Marketing Company (Pyramid) and push supplements. Questionable results.
Illegal in Canada. Other supplement companies are ready willing and able to sell their products in RD at rock bottom prices.
But whatever you do invest in ensure you have a ''proven market'' , ''good Management'' and your money should be safe.
Do nothing out of emotion ;like''I always wanted to do this''.
The AibBnB is a good choice if you are organized. It brings in outside revenue and the World is your market. Even though you are located in RD. But, that is all a matter of opinion. Some pros and some cons.
There is nothing wrong with working a 16 hour day if you have the energy and youth to do it.
Just my 2pesos worth. I live in RD and Canada.
Russell

Everywhere is right. Lots of them are pretty new. Some of them are stand alone in Malls,

Those are the ones who sign contracts and have to stick it out for at least a year.

I've also seen them in remodeled carports of houses, and as a side business in other business. In other words, not making enough to pay the rent.

I never see people in any of them either.

I'd guess a lot of people get theirs from Amazon. Cheaper even with shipping (If they have Prime) and you get it delivered to your door.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Hey man whats going on? Im new on here but seen your post and thought id reply. Foremost im a 42 year old American and although im presently in Florida.

You keep repeating yourself.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
JD, you said it all in one idea...100 pesos.

produce and sell something everybody can afford to buy, so you are not reliant upon one economic class. i have seen a lot of gringos opening high end restaurants, selling expensive dishes, and they fail from lack of clientele..

Thank you very much....great food for thought here.....Some folks tend to feel mstrong about investment into apartments. I seem to agree with it........Anyone got any experience with an AIRBNB?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Thank you very much....great food for thought here.....Some folks tend to feel mstrong about investment into apartments. I seem to agree with it........Anyone got any experience with an AIRBNB?

I am in Luperon -el campo and there is an Air BnB next to my house. She does well and has a local do the cleaning and Management. Several others near by and they are doing well too. Usually booked solid for all winter months by Foreign Clients.

I talk with another friend who has a BnB and she says it more than pays for their investment.

I am thinking of setting up my place as an AirBnB next year. With a total of 7 bedrooms and 4 1/2 baths it could do well.
Complete with Live in Maid service.

Just make sure they never forget you as a good experience and not a bad one.

Russell

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Set up an Airbnb place for me in Jarabacoa, nice mountain view, modern 1 bedroom, $1000 per month, good wifi and you have your first client. For some reason Only mansions that cost $400 a day exist in Jarabacoa.