BUSINESS IDEA FOR SANTO DOMINGO!

potus

Dec 27, 2015
BTW......can AIRBNB only be downloaded to a phone?....I tried to download the APP to my PC....it did not go at all....

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I might be out of place with this question here, but does anyone know how much the Owner has to pay to AIRBNB for each guest received?.........Is it like Ueber, where the drivers pay 25% per fair? Thank you.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
How about a Ponzi Scheme ? Seems to have worked for many others- High interest, suck in the investors then flee.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
[Wet Blanket Alert]

1. Do not take advice from anyone who has never been in business successfully whether the DR or elsewhere. Their advice is worthless.
  2. Do not take advice from anyone who has never started a business in the DR, successful or not. I am referring to formal, tax-registered businesses, not some freelancer doing something for petty cash.
  3. Do not start a business that can be duplicated with modest capital or effort by a local. They WILL compete with you and grind you into a pulp on price, and they *will* outhustle you.
  4. Only start a business with significant barriers to entry, whether capital, specific and rare expertise or cultural.
  5. Do not start a business that depends on revenues coming from the local economy, whether tourists, expats or Dominicans, unless the product is extremely rare or you have great expertise.
  6. To think there is some niche that locals have not figured out is to be woefully naive.
  7. Do not invest a peso into any business run by someone else without a verifiable track record of both success and honesty.
  8. Never start a business because some local says it would work.
  9. Never start a business that has significant debt that you cannot personally afford.
  10. Never start a business that is seasonal unless you can pull the plug on all costs during the off-season.
  11. Never start a business without 3 x the expected start-up costs in the bank, and do not touch that stash for personal needs.
  12. Never start a business that depends on a "Key Man" for success.
  13. Never start a business without sole signature authority on the bank account.
  14. Never start a business in the DR if you have any addiction issues, whether women, drugs or alcohol. You need clear thinking 24/7/365 without distractions.

If you look around at businesses started by expats that fail they violate one or more of the above. If you look at businesses started by expats that succeed they violate none of the above.

$60-70k is not even close enough to start any real, legit business in the DR. You would be buying yourself a poor-paying job that would eventually work you into the dirt with little satisfaction in life...unless you have considerable income coming from outside the country.

[/Wet Blanket]

I have often thought the expat community would be well-served by creating an association of expat entrepreneurs with regular meetings and communications to discuss the challenges of operating a business in the DR, understanding various regulatory changes as well as a voice in political decisions. One function could be an advisory service to those considering entering business in the DR. A lot of emotional and financial pain could be mitigated with such a service.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sound advice indeed. Much heartache, undue stress, and not to mention all of the other predicaments and difficulties that could be avoided, if people only followed the simple rules above.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
BUSINESS IDEA FOR SANTO DOMINGO!

Good day all!
My biz partner and I closed a biz transaction and will be receiving 100K each this week. He is in the Philippines and he will invest in 2 small type businesses.
I will have approx. USD$60,000 to 70,000 to invest in Santo Domingo.
(Hair, Nails, Bodega, Liquor are not very interesting to us).
I was thinking very hard about a small AIRBNB unit....but that price might be a bit to low, considering also one has to furnish the place and put AC units.
Any ideas that would assist here would be very welcome.....But, only clean and nice businesses...no money lending or funny stuff.

Thank you for your input in advance.

It was discussed here on DR1 a while back that it had become the law that all cars on the road had to carry a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. And the fact that such were not readily available. Find what need to be in such kits, sell them thru used car dealers, and the big grocery chains as well as here on DR1 and other internet sites. Maybe even have kids at the street corners competing for space with the windshield washing fools.
Cannot cost a whole lot to get up and going and no need to have a huge inventory. Maybe toss in a tire pump that runs off the old cigarette lighter. Print the package in English as well as Espanol.
That is my free idea.
Der Fish

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Would it not be better off just to invest the money in a sound financial instrument such as a mutual fund? Seriously.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It was discussed here on DR1 a while back that it had become the law that all cars on the road had to carry a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. And the fact that such were not readily available. Find what need to be in such kits, sell them thru used car dealers, and the big grocery chains as well as here on DR1 and other internet sites. Maybe even have kids at the street corners competing for space with the windshield washing fools.
Cannot cost a whole lot to get up and going and no need to have a huge inventory. Maybe toss in a tire pump that runs off the old cigarette lighter. Print the package in English as well as Espanol.
That is my free idea.
Der Fish
Those kits are available everywhere, 'Fish.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I might be out of place with this question here, but does anyone know how much the Owner has to pay to AIRBNB for each guest received?.........Is it like Ueber, where the drivers pay 25% per fair? Thank you.

Not sure what AirBnB charges but most operators book subsequent visits themselves without Air BnB.
Not fair to Air BnB but that is the routine. Book direct and save...... thats the way the cookie crumbles in the BnB business.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Regarding a laundry shop, it just may assist some expatriates in wearing clean, pressed clothes out to dinner for a change. What a novel idea. For an added clientele, I do not know of too many doctors, lawyers, and university professors who have the free time or desire to wash and iron their own clothes.

I have a middle class friend in SD who hires a Haitian woman to cook, clean and wash/iron her family's clothes. Just sayin'.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We in my area are watching one start....

Seems good

The idea of hiring in feasible but beyond the reach of many

Working women here are still working women and would rather not grunt on their days off.

Same day service is rare in these parts......this place has it.

Vamos a ver.......