campo myth needs debunked

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
In terms of the Muslim component of course there will be. The moors (Muslim) occupied the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal) for hundreds of years, so of course a lot of phrases and part of the culture eventually got woven into the culture, which of course got passed to The DR and other Latin American countries.

There are a gazillion myths/believes that don't make any sense in The DR. Some of the ones I can think of:
- Growing up watermelon (pastilla) used to grow wild in our farm. My grandpa used to chop them down and would tell us not to eat that, because you could get terrible pains and could even die. It wasn't until I got to The US and saw everyone eating watermelon that I realized this was total BS. This one has gone through the wayside.

- Witches that fly at night and sometimes snatch babies

- El Baca (People who "have these creatures" will become rich)

- You get bitten by a scorpion or "guaba" you are supposed to eat some doo doo if you don't want to die

- The existence of Ciguapas (Beautiful women whose feet point backwards)

- Galipotes (People who can turn themselves into animals)

- A pregnant woman should NEVER walk under a Guanabana tree...or...or...I'm really not sure what's supposed to happen, but she should NEVER, EVER, EVER walk under a Ganabana tree.

- A woman who just gave birth has to rest for...41 days (I think that's the number of days)...and of course she should NEVER be exposed to "sereno"

- If the palm of you hand itches that means you're coming into some money

- If a butterfly lands on you that means someone you haven't seen in a long time is coming to visit you.

- You shouldn't open an umbrella in a place with a roof...if you do you will remain "jamon" or unmarried for the rest of your life (I wish someone had told me it was just that easy to remain single).

- You should wait at least an hour or more after you've eaten to get into a river, beach or some kind of water...

- Kids should be thrown up in the air when they're little, otherwise they won't know how to dance when they grow up. This one I actually believe...my proof is most Americans are not thrown up in the air when they're little and of course they can't dance for $hit...as adults :laugh::laugh::laugh:

- You cannot have sex on Holy Friday because if you do you will remain attached to each other (kind of like dogs do)...another one which has thoroughly gone through the wayside.

- Women should not wash their hair if they have their period

- If it's raining and the sun is out as well then that means a witch is getting married somewhere

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We have plenty though in England too. You mustn't walk under a ladder or it is bad luck, if a black cat crosses your path it is good luck, if you hang a horseshoe upside down the luck falls out etc etc.

I explained to my Dominican husband once that if the cows lie down in England it means it will rain. He said that if the cows lie down here in the DR it means they are tired.

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have plenty though in England too. You mustn't walk under a ladder or it is bad luck, if a black cat crosses your path it is good luck, if you hang a horseshoe upside down the luck falls out etc etc.

I explained to my Dominican husband once that if the cows lie down in England it means it will rain. He said that if the cows lie down here in the DR it means they are tired.

Matilda

My grandparents had a farm in upstate NY. I learned that when the cows lie down under the trees that it was supposed to rain.

When we drive to Santo Domingo from our house we pass many fields of cows that belong to the government/university, and I've mentioned about the cows lying under trees/raining to Mr. AE too. And he says that Dominican cows don't know that. Haha.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Our housekeeper will NOT cut flowers during "that time of the month" for her.

She absolutely refuses...... I'm not sure why, but it shouldn't be done

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is also this: a pregnant woman cannot go swimming in the ocean/sea because waves will kill the baby.
and she cannot wash her hair after giving birth for how long? was it a week?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Pregnant women aren't supposed to see people after they've passed away, like in the casket or whatever.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think there are lots of myths regarding pregnancy. this is a mysterious time. remember that not so long ago pregnancy would put a woman in mortal danger, to say nothing about child birth. hence all the rules. they probably did make sense 100 years ago and served as means of protection of a woman in fragile state: against elements, infections, illnesses.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Sneezing, ciguapas, sereno, black cats, walking under a ladder... but what's the biggest myth of all?

The one about the paranoid, schizophrenic, dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs who lie awake at night, wondering if they are the dog that's out to get them.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"All gringos are Rich."

"The streets of America are paved with gold."

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
If the palm of you hand itches that means you're coming into some money

Good ones!

Here is another one without sounding fresh!

If a woman's tits itch that means someone really wants it and that someone is thinking about it, at the moment.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
If it rains while it's sunny outside, it means a witch is getting married.
Never heard that...

I heard "La reina se esta peinando" (the Queen is combing her hair)...The queen may have referred to the Virgin Mary, although I don't recall having been told that...but I did not understand this to be taken literally but rather as some sort of name for the phenomenon (when someone looked out and said "la reina se esta peinando" everyone knew it was raining while sunny)

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
WHAT?????????????
Do you mean that Dominicans are not the only ones observing superstitions????????????

I thought it was a foregone conclusion superstitions only existed in the DR....As not pronouncing the final "S" and the final "R" in most words, and changing ADO to AO, and....and...., and...and...
...and....

OK, but at least Dominicans must have INVENTED superstition (and all the above)....which may have then spread from the DR to the rest of the world...it seems so obvious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
omg that s right I forgot and paid no mind when I poured a bottle of water over my head in the Summer heat and then tried to pour it over my Dominican friend 's head he freaked out ... I just thought he was jokiing

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
My grandma used to say that if you submitted your body to a sudden and significant temperature change, from hot to cold, you will get your mouth crooked, a paralyzed nerve or something like that, but she never said people died from it.

Other Myths:
If your eyelid is shaking, someone is talking about you.
Never put your purse on the floor. Your finances will go down!
Drinking coffee while standing up will ruin your plans.
A woman with her period can't cut a lemon or wash her hair.
Never get married on travel on a Tuesday 13th.