campo myth needs debunked

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
inshAllah

I always knew that this awesome culture has some muslim component. ;)

donP

Muslims owned most of Iberia (Spain) for 800 years, 60% longer than Christendom.
The western capital of the 2nd Caliphate was C?rdoba, also the name presciently given to the ground zero mosque.
InshAllah is used everywhere in the Muslim world to guard against failure to fulfill commitments, recognizing an underlying cultural coyness toward individual responsibility, and thereby gaining forgiveness aforethought.
"Si Dios quiere" is simply a cultural legacy that pervades the Hispanic world.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My grandma used to say that if you submitted your body to a sudden and significant temperature change, from hot to cold, you will get your mouth crooked, a paralyzed nerve or something like that, but she never said people died from it.

Other Myths:
If your eyelid is shaking, someone is talking about you.
Never put your purse on the floor. Your finances will go down!
Drinking coffee while standing up will ruin your plans.
A woman with her period can't cut a lemon or wash her hair.
Never get married on travel on a Tuesday 13th.

Do you remember this one? If all the hens cluck at the same time,there will
be a death in the family.

A campesino myth.:rolleyes:

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Martes 13 = Friday 13th

If your eyelid is shaking, someone is talking about you.
Never put your purse on the floor. Your finances will go down!
Drinking coffee while standing up will ruin your plans.
A woman with her period can't cut a lemon or wash her hair.
Never get married on travel on a Tuesday 13th.
I had never heard most of those, so perhaps they are also regional within the DR?
OTOH, it is a mistake to assume that all the 'myths' observed by some people in the DR are actually Dominican 'myths'...some may be Caribbean/Latin-American/Spanish/European 'myths' present in huge chunks of the world...case in point, the Tuesday 13th superstition...it is BY NO MEANS exclusive to the DR...it is extended through the Spanish-speaking world and it is the EQUIVALENT of the Friday 13th superstition in other cultures (you have seen the movies, right?...the title was translated as Martes 13 in Spanish)...And the fact that the number 13 is associated with bad luck or bad things is extended to multiple cultures...as well as the 'evil' association of the 66...and many other things.

Martes, ni te cases ni te embarques (Tuesdays: do not get married or travel (by ship))

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Muslims owned most of Iberia (Spain) for 800 years, 60% longer than Christendom.
The western capital of the 2nd Caliphate was C?rdoba, also the name presciently given to the ground zero mosque.
InshAllah is used everywhere in the Muslim world to guard against failure to fulfill commitments, recognizing an underlying cultural coyness toward individual responsibility, and thereby gaining forgiveness aforethought.
"Si Dios quiere" is simply a cultural legacy that pervades the Hispanic world.
Yes, Muslims/Arabs occupied most of Spain for centuries...the again, they were forcibly expelled, so their "cultural contributions" are not as strong as they could have been, since they took most of them as they fled Spain...Ojala does have an Arabic origin, meaning roughly "God willing"...

However the Spanish phrase "Si Dios quiere" is not connected to the Arabs..Other cultures not related to Arabs use similar expressions, for example "God willing", in English..."Si Dieu le veut" in Francais (If God wants it) is almost a word-by-word equivalent to the Spanish phrase.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I had never heard most of those, so perhaps they are also regional within the DR?
OTOH, it is a mistake to assume that all the 'myths' observed by some people in the DR are actually Dominican 'myths'...some may be Caribbean/Latin-American/Spanish/European 'myths' present in huge chunks of the world...case in point, the Tuesday 13th superstition...it is BY NO MEANS exclusive to the DR...it is extended through the Spanish-speaking world and it is the EQUIVALENT of the Friday 13th superstition in other cultures (you have seen the movies, right?...the title was translated as Martes 13 in Spanish)...And the fact that the number 13 is associated with bad luck or bad things is extended to multiple cultures...as well as the 'evil' association of the 66...and many other things.

Martes, ni te cases ni te embarques (Tuesdays: do not get married or travel (by ship))

What some of us are doing here is talking about myths or beliefs that are popular here in the DR , some that we've heard from older people or from people in the campos.
I am not questioning the origin of these myths nor am I saying they are exclusive to the Dominican Republic.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
If your palm itches, money is on the way.
Masturbation causes blindness. lol 20/20 baby here!!!! (with my contacts on, jejejejejeje)
Vick's vapor rub cures all

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Share more myths guys .. here's one that's not a myth but a common phrase in La Vega .. "Si Dios quiere" , almost like they can have no influence on what's going to happen.

It would make sense if more of them were devout churchgoers but the majority aren't. I asked my friend in his last year of medical school if he was going to finish next year, and he says "Si Dios quiere". Hm

Oh, ?Si Dios Quiere? is often used like ?Hopefully?. It doesn't necessarily carry a strong religious connotation.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
do they walk under ladders here,put new shoes on tables or open umbrellas inside

I've never heard the one about new shoes on tables.

And even if Dominicans, campesinos or otherwise, believe such things, it's lame when compared to Harvard-educated politicians believing there is a god... a god who takes sides in international conflicts, determines the winners of elections, pageants, re-directs bullets, cures illnesses (except amputees), and all sorts of stuff.

Pete Stark for President of the World!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I've suffered many of these temperature-variation induced ailments since I often (usually on the weekend) open the refrigerator to grab an ashy one after working in the yard at 110 degrees, barefoot, in shorts and shirtless. My wife has been warning me for the last 38 years that one day " te vas a pasmar ", she's Puerto Rican. She said the same thing when we lived in New York walking into the apartment at what seemed to be 120 degrees from a blizzard. Today my eyes focus in two different directions, I frown and smile at the same time and suffer from "shrinkage" when in cold water.

Last edited:

D1at196

Feb 15, 2010
Bronx, New York, United States
I don't know if this myth is regional or spread throughout DR, but people in a rural part of the Monte Plata province believe that the praying mantis is venomous and would kill humans and beasts instantly. Every time we spotted a praying mantis they would warn us about this.