Canadian Embassy Scandal??

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If your office is thinking that this is just another dumb farmer - let it be known that this dumb farmer is not going to give up on this matter.

Glenn Needham

Nothing dumb about you, sir, and I salute an individual who is prepared to stand up & be counted. I have just returned home to the DR after a trip to my country of origin, UK, & was frankly appalled at British citizens seeming apathy in the face of being walked over by their Government, so it is truly refreshing & reaffirmative of one's faith in human nature to see an indivdidual such as yourself stand up to your own Government. I would agree that the issue would probably benefit from getting press coverage on your side & also wanted to suggest a couple of other things - bear in mind I am not Canadian & know precious little about how Canadian Immigration works, or rather, doesn't, judging from your experiences, so if these suggestions seem useless please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Would there be any mileage in getting the DR Embassy in Canada as an ally in this matter? The other thought which occurred was that there are human rights issues at stake here - exploitation of some members of a developing country by a first world country. Could it be that Human Rights Watch might be interested or maybe the UN? Would there be any mileage in getting a Canadian Law School interested as a practical piece of work for some of their postgrad students? This might take some of the weight of the 'struggle' off your shoulders and into the hands of some young enthusiastic students who could also delve into any other shady/inefficient dealings by Canadian Immigration authorities.

sven440

Feb 12, 2006
CCCCCCCC is talking about a visa to the US which doesn't help anyone coming to Canada at all and no he isn't Dominican.

Here's my thought on this. Stats show that the overall majority of immigrants head for Ontario and Quebec specifically to Toronto and Montreal so I'm wondering if it's easier to get a work visa for the province of Alberta where there is such a need for workers.

I'd been interested in hearing if anyone knows of any work visas that were denied if the destination was Alberta.

I'd be even more surprised if anyone knows of any Dominican getting a work visa in a low skill position. No one has mentioned anything about sucessfull applications.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
Nothing dumb about you, sir, and I salute an individual who is prepared to stand up & be counted. I have just returned home to the DR after a trip to my country of origin, UK, & was frankly appalled at British citizens seeming apathy in the face of being walked over by their Government, so it is truly refreshing & reaffirmative of one's faith in human nature to see an indivdidual such as yourself stand up to your own Government. I would agree that the issue would probably benefit from getting press coverage on your side & also wanted to suggest a couple of other things - bear in mind I am not Canadian & know precious little about how Canadian Immigration works, or rather, doesn't, judging from your experiences, so if these suggestions seem useless please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Would there be any mileage in getting the DR Embassy in Canada as an ally in this matter? The other thought which occurred was that there are human rights issues at stake here - exploitation of some members of a developing country by a first world country. Could it be that Human Rights Watch might be interested or maybe the UN? Would there be any mileage in getting a Canadian Law School interested as a practical piece of work for some of their postgrad students? This might take some of the weight of the 'struggle' off your shoulders and into the hands of some young enthusiastic students who could also delve into any other shady/inefficient dealings by Canadian Immigration authorities.

I absolutely agree with you on this one!!! The more people you get involved in high places the better off for everyone involved. Maybe Glenn can send some of his paperwork off to the DR Consulate in Ottawa, and even request a meeting? I'm pretty sure we must have a DR Consulate in Ottawa? The human rights and law school idea is really good too. Who better to fight the lawyer bureaucrats in Ottawa than energetic up and coming lawyers????? As far as the application for the work visa here in Alberta, I guess we'll see once all the paper is done. I think just for good measure I might go to the consulate in Santo Domingo with my friend and hand in the paperwork. If nothing else I can be there for moral support. Hopefully we'll have an answer soon on his application.

larrytoronto

Jun 17, 2007
Please continue to fight for the Dominicans. I have been trying for three years just to have a family I know there to visit with me in canada and it is just one brick wall after another. It's always the same excuse," they are afraid that they will not go back. I told them that I would post bond,have a round trip ticket paid for and I would pay private health insurance for them. The only response to that is that they don't allow that. When I asked they stated that they just don't allow it.
It seems even in Canada we still have people using the excuse "just following orders".
This small family are the nicest people I have met and all I want to do is show them a bit of Canada. Why is this such a problem.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Jus something short ....
A friend of us owns a big comany here, so he planned to go with one of his employees to Canada on a business trip to buy machines .... he was denied and the employee got the visa ! I'm from Europe and don't need a visa so my wife aplied for one stating that she would like to go on a vacation with her european husband .... showed money, company, owns apartment .... DENIED.

Reason: they are not sure she would return ... WHAT ABOUT ME?

I think is a form letter what they just stamp and that's it, easy money for the poor Canadians. Never seen anything like it.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
work visa

Just one other thought....it might be a newsworthy piece for any Dominicans who have applied for any kind of visa be it work, visitor's etc to protest in front of the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo???? We could always alert CBC and they'd send a correspondent down there to cover it (why not at taxpayer expense!!!) Although it would probably be better to protest in Haiti as they're the ones apparently making all the decisions!!!

sven440

Feb 12, 2006
Wow - 814 reads already in 2.5 days - Great!
Wonder how many have replied back to Daine Finleys office?
Would like to think there is miles of paper spewing from their fax machine each day!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I sent Finley's office a link to this thread, and will now also forward it to my MP. I told them it is a taste of what will come should we not be satisfied in getting answers.

Thanks to all who have been so kind as to show your support and contact Finley's office.

Even if Vetania's visa will not be considered as a result of this, I would hope that something is changed as to the milking of money from 3rd world country residents.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Just one other thought....it might be a newsworthy piece for any Dominicans who have applied for any kind of visa be it work, visitor's etc to protest in front of the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo???? We could always alert CBC and they'd send a correspondent down there to cover it (why not at taxpayer expense!!!) Although it would probably be better to protest in Haiti as they're the ones apparently making all the decisions!!!

Wow, although I don't like Dominican-style huelgas - burning tires, blocking roads, threatening people, throwing fire, etc - it would definitely get some attention if it happened outside of the Embassy, wouldn't it?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In a similar vein what about contacting the large Canadian companies who are investing in the DR? Along the lines of 'we are aware that companies such as yourself are seeking to assist the development of the Dominican economy by the injection of capital but felt it only morally correct to inform you that our own (Canadian) government could be deemed complicit in sabotaging your efforts by exploiting Dominican workers seeking a Canadian work visa..........'

And yes I know Canadian companies are investing here for their own benefit & that of their shareholders but the wording was chosen to evoke a sense of outrage. ;)

Is there a Canadian Farm Owners/Managers professional association/union which might be interested in some involvement in this issue?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I found this while searching for answers.

For the past 40 years, farmers in Ontario and other

provinces have been meeting some of their seasonal
labour needs by hiring temporary workers from
Caribbean countries and, since 1974, from Mexico
under the Canadian Seasonal Agricultural Workers
Program (CSAWP).
This federal initiative allows for the
organized entry into Canada of low- to mid-level
skilled farm workers for up to eight months a year to
fill labour shortages on Canadian farms during peak
periods of planting, cultivating and harvesting of
specified farm commodities. The program is run jointly
with the governments of Mexico and the participating
Caribbean states, which recruit the workers
and appoint representatives in Canada to assist in the
program?s operations. In 2004, some 10,777 seasonal
workers came to Canada from Mexico and 8,110
came from Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago
and the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States
(Grenada, Antigua, Dominica, Saint Kitts and Nevis,
Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, and
Monserrat). The program was first developed with
Jamaica on a trial basis in 1966 and subsequently
extended to the other countries.

Taken from http://www.nsi-ins.ca/english/pdf/MigrantWorkers_Eng_Web.pdf

Could the answer be that immigration doesn't want to deal with applicants on an individual bases since these programs have been in place for many years?

In that case they shouldn't be taking money from poor people!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hmm, the thing with the nominee program is that is for "skilled workers" - I don't think farming applies. Canadas policy of "best and brightest" ends up biting us in the ass. We need unskilled labour, so we bring people with PhDs to drive taxis and so forth. there are a lot of people that are unhappy with our system and red tape, just check www.notcanada.com

for more stats on temp workers, here are the top 10: CIC Canada | Facts and Figures 2006 - Immigration Overview: Permanent and Temporary Residents

As for finding out stats pertaining to rate of refusal, it would be very interesting to know, there are internal reports that list these stats by country or visa office, they are just an ATIP request away - unless for some reason they can justify that information as being classified, which I doubt. I remember a request had come through to see rate of refusal for portugal, so I'm sure it can be found out for the DR. There were less than 421 PRs given to Dominicans last year, how many I don't know, but 421 is the number the 10th spot had on the list (el salvador): CIC Canada | Facts and Figures 2006 - Immigration Overview: Permanent and Temporary Residents

As for not letting them in because they are in Ontario, that would be true if they were going to Toronto, which absorbs a huge chunk of the immigrant population. It is know than rural areas need immigration to do the work Canadians don't want to do. Maybe they have to be sent to the middle of nowhere in BC or Alberta where they cant possibly run away anywhere. Anyhow, I hope all goes well. If anyone needs any advice, I might be able to help, I used to work for an ADM at CIC, so I know quite a bit.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I Am (Was) Canadian , I am so ashamed of the Canadian government, their policies and their thievery and red tape and......... Canada , Its time to get down off of your high horse. Living there , you are overtaxed, under represented, have no support in business and freeze your Balls off. Its really not that great.......... Used to be, but the politicians, accountants and lawyers have completely ruined it. Its Overpriced, underpopulated and did I mention you freeze your balls off 6 months of the year?

DR_Lost

Apr 30, 2007
To the OP: I'm curious how much you pay these workers you're trying to get from the DR. Would it not be more cost-efficient to just raise the pay scale to attract local people to do the job? There are a bunch of people working around Toronto for a lot less than the typical strawberry picker would make. Many first-year university students would jump at the opportunity to make $15 an hour to help cover the cost of next year's tuition.

I myself detassled corn for 2 summers because it paid more than twice the minimum wage. I know several people who head up north to tree-plant because it averages out to over 3 times the minimum wage.

It just seems odd that you can't fill these positions with university students who all finished school about 2 months ago.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
work visa

I Am (Was) Canadian , I am so ashamed of the Canadian government, their policies and their thievery and red tape and......... Canada , Its time to get down off of your high horse. Living there , you are overtaxed, under represented, have no support in business and freeze your Balls off. Its really not that great.......... Used to be, but the politicians, accountants and lawyers have completely ruined it. Its Overpriced, underpopulated and did I mention you freeze your balls off 6 months of the year?

I had to reply to this one, being a Canadian out in the middle of nowhere land in Alberta. Are you kidding it's cold here 6 months of the year? We have a saying here out west...you have 6 months of winter and 6 months of bad skiing...:cheeky::cheeky: As far as the lawyers ruining the country...you've got that right...I don't know many politicians who aren't lawyers and who makes the crazy laws we have when someone who shoots a deer out of season gets more jail time than someone who kills a little kid???? It's no wonder we're having all the problems with jobs and immigration. My friend works in Ottawa and reads the bills that are revised 15-20 times before they go through parliament before a law gets passed. CRAZY!!! Although I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on it all yet!!! It's pretty good when you look at how some others in the world live. At least we can walk on the streets at night with safety and security....

alysa

Jul 6, 2007
Wow cant believe you guys are really canadians!! Have any one stopped to see what is happening in the DR lately?? Apparentely not..read local news papers and see how the level of fraud and corruption has increased..speaking about work visas the latest scandal involved officials of DR Ministry of Labour who were selling false visas to work in Spain and Canada. In another recent scandal there was allegedly a dominican and a candian involved in this "religious" organization that obtained money from people with a promise to obtain work permits and then dissapeared leaving dozens of people without there money.. unfortunetly the majority of good people have to pay what a few does. Dont twist this into a racial discriminitory issue that has nothing to do with the reality. For far all Canada doesnt discriminate because its population is based on immigrants..Please dont think that with this comment Im justifying the refusals on this case.

sven440

Feb 12, 2006
If they had made it here they were to get $10/hour.

To the OP: I'm curious how much you pay these workers you're trying to get from the DR. Would it not be more cost-efficient to just raise the pay scale to attract local people to do the job? There are a bunch of people working around Toronto for a lot less than the typical strawberry picker would make. Many first-year university students would jump at the opportunity to make $15 an hour to help cover the cost of next year's tuition.

I myself detassled corn for 2 summers because it paid more than twice the minimum wage. I know several people who head up north to tree-plant because it averages out to over 3 times the minimum wage.

It just seems odd that you can't fill these positions with university students who all finished school about 2 months ago.

DR_Lost

Apr 30, 2007
Thanks for replying, but that is kind of my point though. According to NOC classifications 8431 and 8611, depending upon whether you classify them as General workers or Harvesters, you are just slightly below the norm. Rather than spend $130 US for the paperwork, why not just up the wage a dollar or two and I'm sure you'll have no problem filling the positions.

Typical NOC classes of that sort: City of Toronto: Wages

I would ask you to contact this guy who seems to have an overflow of staff: Strawberry Pickers - Belleville Jobs & Work - Kijiji Belleville Of course, he's paying $15 per hour.

I've been friends with many farmers during my lifetime and nobody's ever had a problem filling the jobs with local people. I again reiterate that there are an abundance of university students itching for a well-paying job.

sven440

Feb 12, 2006
You would not beleive how many pickers I get that do not pick $10 worth of strawberries per hour. I had one kid out last weekend that in 5.25 hours only had picked 3 x 4liter baskets. The wholesale price on these is $8. Needless to say that was his first and last day. What I see allot is when interested pickers respond to my recruiting efforts find out that they need to start at 6am about 40% of them suddenly are not interested.