Canadian Embassy Scandal??

sven440

Feb 12, 2006
I also pay by the basket - $2.50 per 4litre but not until they satisy us that they have the quality under control first. I had an elderly lady here last year that made fools of everyone else in the patch - she could pick 10 baskets per hour at the berry peak.

sven440

Feb 12, 2006
Not sure about him having an overflow of help - or why would he be posting for help wanted?

I would ask you to contact this guy who seems to have an overflow of staff: Strawberry Pickers - Belleville Jobs & Work - Kijiji Belleville Of course, he's paying $15 per hour.

I've been friends with many farmers during my lifetime and nobody's ever had a problem filling the jobs with local people. I again reiterate that there are an abundance of university students itching for a well-paying job.[/QUOTE]

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As someone who grew up on a Organic farm in British Colombia with 10 acres of strawberries, plus 60 acres of fruits and veggies. Picking strawberries all day properly is hard work. Of course my brothers and I had to do it for semi-free. I live in Belleville and before that in Alliston Ontario. Both places are surrounded by farms that hire locals, and Mexicans and Jamaicans. Most of the locals are also immigrants. It's hard, dirty work, and most Canadian University students would rather work in a call centre, restaurant, store...etc even for less pay.

alysa

Jul 6, 2007
Im surprise to learn that growing 4 acres of strawberries is such a profitable business when someone is willing to be responsible in bringing 3 or 4 foreign workers to Canada..which the employer has to pay the round trip ticket to/from Canada in this case from DR is aprox CAN1,000.00, provide medical isurance, housing etc..

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Im surprise to learn that growing 4 acres of strawberries is such a profitable business when someone is willing to be responsible in bringing 3 or 4 foreign workers to Canada..which the employer has to pay the round trip ticket to/from Canada in this case from DR is aprox CAN1,000.00, provide medical isurance, housing etc..

Strawberry fields are just a portion of Glenn's business. He has a farm, full of all kinds of produce. He is in the situation like many others in Canada, they have to look for foreign workers for their businesses to survive. I'm sure you appreciate that when you decide to farm, your life career is set, there is basically little opportunity to change your vocation. He's just doing what he needs to do for his business to survive.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think this discussion as to whether it is viable, feasible or even desirable to employ students from Canadian Universities rather than import labour from abroad, is getting away from the OP's concerns. The possible corruption in the Canadian Embassy by refusing Visa entries without interviewing the applicant (knowing in advance the applicant is to be refused a visa) is the subject under discussion. ~ Grahame.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
If anyone is going through with an ATIP request, where somehow there can be some proof as to discrimination, or huge refusal rates - rather than jpure anecdotal evidence, they will have to go through the proper channels. While getting in contact with the minister's office and MPs is good, their motivations are political or to get teh issue off their back. The conservative govt. isn't the friendliest to community support of immigrants. Now if there numbers, or proof that showed that visas aren't being assessed properly something can be done, and this si where a minister could simply sign a document and grant the visas - motivation would be that they are proven to be in the wrong, and want to avoid the issue.
some suggestions would included finding out approval raitings for temp workers of other similar countires. As well as all visa refusal raitings pertaining to the DR.
This would have to pass through following branches, International Region, Risk Assesment branch, and Case Management branch.

I wouldnt go as far to call it corruption, but there is reason to believe that there is discrimination - numbers can tell the story better than annectdotes.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Glenn,
I discussed this issue with a Canadian friend who is far more knowledgeable about Canadian Immigration matters than I am. I'll summarise the points he made in case any of them are of any use to you.

He commented that civil servants i.e. immigration staff are not, as a group, composed of 'upper echelon' minds & thus there might be a tendency to look for the easy way out of an issue & one which sidesteps any confrontation. He also commented that with the formal programmes which exist (Mexico & Jamaica) have recruiters who are known to the Canadian immigration authorities. Such recruiters usually don't have a personal relationship with the potential workers and thus the fact that Mr. Needham knew the applicants might put the non-'upper echelon mind' civil servant in a situation where they needed to think outside the box. So taking the easy way out, they didn't think at all & rejected the application rather than take on board more time consuming work.

The other point he made was that many of the Mexican & Jamaican guest workers are male & there could be concerns that females would become a charge to the public purse if, for example, they became pregnant during their time in Canada.

He commented that perhaps the long term way to go would be for the DR Govt to enter into a similar agreement with Canada as those which Mexico & Jamaica have. Whilst this does not help those individual applicants known to Mr. Needham it might produce a greater benefit for Dominicans in the long term. I got the distinct impression from what my friend wrote that he suspects that the Canadian Govt. does not see this issue as an individual matter in any event, so much as an institutional one with institutional programmes set up (as in the case of Mexico & Jamaica). Thus any individual type responses are going to be seen as 'different' 'requiring more administrative work' etc etc.

I don't know if any of this offers any ideas as to a way forward but having asked the question I thought I'd post the response.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Great response! I believe that you are correct. It still bothers me that Dominicans can't get jobs in Canada like the Mexicans and Jamaicans can. Maybe some one out there would like to become a broker between the DR and Canada.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
canadian embassy scandal

The broker idea would be an interesting one, however the government of DR will have to address the worker issue with the government of Canada. That might then lead to a similar agreement between our two countries about supplying workers as currently exists between Mexico and Jamaica. This would likely have to involve some sort of lobbying on the part of people from the DR. ie: supply facts & figures about the lack of workers in Canada and facts and figures on the number of Jamicans, Haitians and Mexicans that are getting work visas vs the number of Dominicans. Anyone in DR interested in pursuing this with the government of the DR? It likely wouldn't go far if Canadians tried to convince the Canadian government to do anything about an issue in another country. Just a thought...I'd be interested in the broker thingy but that wouldn't be for a few years yet until the "agreement" between the two countries is set up....:ermm:

sven440

Feb 12, 2006
It may be too early yet - but has anyone who contacted CIC had any form of response yet? I would expect if I have heard nothing that no one else would have either - unless they send you guys the same form letter as I got.

If one is to get foreign workers that actually live in your home - would it not be desirable to at least get someone you know and trust rather than a total stranger from Jamaica or Mexico?

Lambada - intereresting thought about males being more likely excepted than females - if true that is also not fair procedure. I much prefer females as pickers - they just seem to have a better "built in" ability to control product quality and do not get bored with thier work like guys do. Far more productive as pickers go in my experience.

Glenn,
I discussed this issue with a Canadian friend who is far more knowledgeable about Canadian Immigration matters than I am. I'll summarise the points he made in case any of them are of any use to you.

He commented that civil servants i.e. immigration staff are not, as a group, composed of 'upper echelon' minds & thus there might be a tendency to look for the easy way out of an issue & one which sidesteps any confrontation. He also commented that with the formal programmes which exist (Mexico & Jamaica) have recruiters who are known to the Canadian immigration authorities. Such recruiters usually don't have a personal relationship with the potential workers and thus the fact that Mr. Needham knew the applicants might put the non-'upper echelon mind' civil servant in a situation where they needed to think outside the box. So taking the easy way out, they didn't think at all & rejected the application rather than take on board more time consuming work.

The other point he made was that many of the Mexican & Jamaican guest workers are male & there could be concerns that females would become a charge to the public purse if, for example, they became pregnant during their time in Canada.

He commented that perhaps the long term way to go would be for the DR Govt to enter into a similar agreement with Canada as those which Mexico & Jamaica have. Whilst this does not help those individual applicants known to Mr. Needham it might produce a greater benefit for Dominicans in the long term. I got the distinct impression from what my friend wrote that he suspects that the Canadian Govt. does not see this issue as an individual matter in any event, so much as an institutional one with institutional programmes set up (as in the case of Mexico & Jamaica). Thus any individual type responses are going to be seen as 'different' 'requiring more administrative work' etc etc.

I don't know if any of this offers any ideas as to a way forward but having asked the question I thought I'd post the response.

sven440

Feb 12, 2006
Forgot to mention that hopefully all that are contacting CIC are demanding the right answers. What details they are not proividing are the details we need to show this system is unjust and unfair.

1 - How many applications for work visas are the embassy in SD accepting in a year?

2 - How many are being approved (If any)

3 - Where is all the money collected going?

4 - what are the answers to question 1 and 2 for Jamaica and Mexico - who are the primary source for offshore agricultural foreign workers in Canada?

Every day of silence from CIC makes me more sure that the facts would surprise people and that is the reason for CIC silence.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
Canadian Consulate scandal

Sorry Glenn, I was under the impression that we were to send a message to the Minister responsible (please tell me I sent my message to the right place??). I honestly don't expect to get a reply. Should we be expecting a reply from them sometime in the near future? They're all on holidays now in Ottawa until the fall I believe.... :tired:

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
Canadian Consulate Scandal

Glenn,

I am in the process of getting all the paperwork done for the work visa for my friend. On the application it indicates that the applicant has to provide proof of funds available. While I was printing off a bunch of papers I am certain I read that if the applicant has a job offer from their employer they do not have to provide proof of funds available. I can not seem to find where I read that. What did your applicant provide as proof of funds available? I guess they're looking for proof that the applicant can sustain themselves until they start working? Were you planning on providing room and board for your applicant or was she going to pay rent somewhere else? Anything you could provide would be of great assistance, and if you can think of anything that you would have done differently that might have made a difference in the outcome of the work visa decision ie: paperwork wise (other than not going throught the headache of it all...)
Thanks
:cheeky:

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Nice to see all of you working together for something important like Immigration Issues.

In July 2004, my father was refused a visitor's visa for my wedding. His application included detailed information about having property and money in the Dominican Rep.
He is an old man (75) and provided all the information that immigration requires. His visa was denied and there were no family members at my wedding other than my mother who came from the USA. Today, three years later, we applied again and my father again refused.

I'm just a hard working person who would like my father to meet my wife's family. Family is important to me and I don't know why somebody at the embassy can't see that. I hope there is enough noise here to change things for better. I support you whole-heartedly.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Nice to see all of you working together for something important like Immigration Issues.

In July 2004, my father was refused a visitor's visa for my wedding. His application included detailed information about having property and money in the Dominican Rep.
He is an old man (75) and provided all the information that immigration requires. His visa was denied and there were no family members at my wedding other than my mother who came from the USA. Today, three years later, we applied again and my father again refused.

I'm just a hard working person who would like my father to meet my wife's family. Family is important to me and I don't know why somebody at the embassy can't see that. I hope there is enough noise here to change things for better. I support you whole-heartedly.

Now that's exactly the sort of story which should be given to a newspaper. Poignant, to put it mildly.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Family is important to me and I don't know why somebody at the embassy can't see that. I hope there is enough noise here to change things for better. I support you whole-heartedly.
Do you think it might be something to do with the fact that most 'Embassy Personnel' (no matter WHICH country) leave us with the the impression that they have no family or that they never knew the Fathers?:cheeky:?? :bunny: :bunny: ;) ~ Grahame.

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
I have read this thread with great interest, and am now thinking that all the time, effort, energy, financial expense (and then there was the tax even emotionally and psychologically) that we spent in 2005 trying to get my DR son-in-law to be able to come to Canada on a study visa, then a visitor's visa while he applied for Canadian citizenship was really all doomed to begin with. We need not have bothered, it seems. In the end, the final cost was the marriage, which is now over. I know the majority of this thread has been about work visas, but I wonder how much of what is going on affects all visas from the DR to Canada?

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
WOW. I don't even know what to say. It's one thing to hear about visitor's visas being denied but when there is a legitimate need and a legitimate job being offered no one should have to go through this kind of struggle.

The Canadian government wants us to be discouraged, I'm glad that you are not backing down. I cannot believe tax dollars are going into paying these people to play with other people's livelihood, money and shatter their hopes and dreams. As a Canadian I'm ashamed and disgusted.