Canadian Embassy Scandal??

sven440

Feb 12, 2006
Am I crazy?

I just returned from another wonderful holiday in the DR. Nothing much has changed there since last year. I spent my time in the same area, in the country near Puerto Plata, and saw the same people there - amazing happy people living with so little to be happy about. Of course the same levels of poverty - and the same smiling faces struggling to survive in a world that has not given many a "fair deal" in life. Things have not changed there and I suppose the economy being bad everywhere, might be hard to notice in this area, as it would be hard to notice things getting much worse there.

Now that I am home again in Canada, I begin to wish there were some way that I could do something to help some of these people. There are several that I know there that could sure use a break - something good to happen for them. I am not sure if I want to do this, not sure I want to submit them to the headaches and heartbreaks again, but thinking seriously about trying once more to try again with some work visas. Unlikely anything has changed with CIC - but what a difference there lives would be if I could have a few of these honest hard working people come to Canada for the summer and earn a few pesos!

Am I crazy to get mixed up in this mess again?
Will I be looking at crops rotting in the field again this year, due to unmotivated local help?

Glenn Needham
Arnprior, Ontario

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
All we can do is try. It appears that it is alot of time and money on both ends. We have been trying for 3 years to get a work visa for a low skilled job position with no success.
It seems that all there is are brick walls to run into. I don't understand what can be done, if you have any ideas let me know
By the way we are from New Brunswick Canada.
If you want to talk e-mail me as I do Not want to jeopardize this individuals chances (if any exists) and by the way maybe Media is the only was to go

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
1 cent worth:

looks like the can. gov. doesnt want these low labor work dominicans in the country.

perhaps they think why not just get locals or those dirty immigrant wetbacks to pick fruit....why would you pay airfare, insurance and etc., to get dominican workers...when you have canadians, and almost canadians (immigrants) to do the work.

still its not a reason to deny the visas

maybe its because you say you 'know' the workers...seems like you go to the DR now and then and your relationship with these prospective workers may be questionable...they are your 'friends'

maybe the can. gov. thinks you're helping your friends to get into can. and disappear or to get the girls up there so they can get knocked up or prostitution etc., be mules for drugs.....think about it you're spending big money to get them up there to pick berries and now these arent your every day workers these are your friends. looks like they're trying to sneak in through a loop hole.

lots of maybes...but still doesnt seem to be any excuse not to give those visas.

1pandora

Apr 1, 2009
This is part of an article on CTV news, dated April 28th, and regarding the swine flu...

The federal government announced Monday that it has beefed up its screening process for Mexican workers entering the country. They'll need to have a fever-check by two doctors, fill out a questionnaire, and undergo a physical.

Ontario averages about 15,000 foreign seasonal workers a year, of which about 8,500 are Mexican and the rest are from Caribbean countries. While many are already hard at work, an influx of more are expected to enter the workforce soon.

... why they are allowing so many from Mexico, and refusing so many from DR.? Makes you wonder.