Canadian Immigration Employees working in Port Au Prince...

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
We have to go by facts, not what others think, the News, CIC site and calling CIC is the best way to get information.

goodgirlmaddie

Oct 10, 2009
Yes...you are right Twillis. It is important to wait for the facts. It is just hard not to speculate when you have been waiting so long already and may possibly have to wait even longer than the normal processing times. The CIC site says they will resume normal immigration services as soon as possible. Guess we will have to wait to hear more.

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
All existing Haitian immigration files will be expediated, absolutely, and then others will apply. The Minister said in his news conference that these new files must be marked HAITI and that they will be given priority but they still will have to follow the guidelines of CIC - same proof, etc. They have to announce where they are to be sent also. I think for everyone worried about their files - and yes, we do - but still cry for all the lives lost in Haiti and feel for all the people affected by this earthquake - you should contact your MP or CIC and post any information you find.

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
My husband is from the Dominican also, my MP says they will process our files after the existing Haitian files in the queue and while waiting for the new applications to come in from Haiti.

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
All existing Haitian immigration files will be expediated, absolutely, and then others will apply. The Minister said in his news conference that these new files must be marked HAITI and that they will be given priority but they still will have to follow the guidelines of CIC - same proof, etc. They have to announce where they are to be sent also. I think for everyone worried about their files - and yes, we do - but still cry for all the lives lost in Haiti and feel for all the people affected by this earthquake - you should contact your MP or CIC and post any information you find.

Nicely put Twillis - I know emotions are running high, and some people may feel or be made to feel guilty for worrying about their application in a time like this - but life goes on for us and the fact remains we are all being negatively affected by this too.

Applications will still have to follow the guidelines of CIC: How is this going to be possible for new applicant's!! The embassy in PAP has a policy of requiring secondary documents of identity...I imagine that simply getting the primary documents required; Birth certificate, Police certificates, passport, proof of relationship, MEDICAL EXAM ect... will be next to impossible in Haiti for quite some time, let alone SECONDARY identity documents for late declared births.

Also (my appologies in advance to those I may offend) the potential for fraudulent cases that PAP tries so hard to avoid is tenfold now...with no death certificates being issued for the thousands of deaths, I am sure it would not be very difficult for someone to assume the identity of someone else.

Processing these cases, especially new one's is going to be a nightmare for the officer's...and with that being said, I can only hope that our immigration minister has taken that into account, and will not forsake the applicants currently in process from all the other countries PAP was responsible for.

In my case, the last correspondence we rcvd from PAP stated that the application was ready to be finalized and would be as soon as we forwarded secondary identity document's (re: late declaration)...after accomplishing the impossible in getting these docs, I sent them off to PAP via DHL last Monday...the last scan from DHL shows that they arrived PAP DHL Hub on Tuesday at 1500hrs..2 hours before....

Reactions: mike l

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
I called my MP's office today & they said that all we can do is wait for CIC get the new office up and running....

My MP's office didn't have any inside info.... Did anyone else have more luck than me:)

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
I am stilling waiting for my call. She did say she might now be in today, so hopefully tomorrow.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
sbt,

do you know if the embassy got your package or just that they arrived in PAP to the hub?

stay strong ladies....i know its a really frustrating and emotional time right now. hopefully there are some answers soon
sangria

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
As everyone here who knows my case probably understands, I have been calling my MP and CIC everyday. They are in the middle of a mess pretty much and the CIC agent wasn't aware of the 30 individuals who will be processing the cases in Canada. She said that if they are, it's for inland applications, which doesn't really make sense. She also mentioned that they had a briefing this morning and will be finding out more information on where the immigration officers will be placed in that next meeting. Rumor has it that they will be all relocating to the SD office. At least that was the rep's best guess. After talking with the MP's office, they were not aware of this 30 officer information and stated that everything the government is releasing right now is vague because they have so much to figure out.

I don't know where this leaves the Haitian applications or the DR applications... seeing as though I was just given a big fat run around.

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
I forgot to add this in the above post from Minister Kinney:

We will be sending staff to Port-au-Prince to help with these and other immigration files, and we have also established an office in Santo Domingo. But as you know, the government’s own infrastructure in Port-au-Prince has been severely compromised and that does put limits on our services.

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's been updating us with information. I may not comment all the time but I definitely do appreciate those who do. I hope this situation gets sorted out soon.

ETA:
I think there was another earthquake in Haiti and this one damaged the embassy in PAP. Good thing nobody was there.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
Okay, that was all about adoption. I don't think it pertained to any of us. And how they are operating in Port au Prince at this time? It makes no sense.

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
I realize it talked about adoption. I just thought people might be interested to know that they have opened an office in SD.

I think this is positive news and hopefully CIC will keep making progress everyday with getting their operations underway.

Cheers,

Jess

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
Hey Jess, good catch. I like to think Im sitting on top of CIC's web site, but your faster.

Knowing that they have now moved to SD, even if they are only handling adoptions at this point - is a step forward at least.

The minister of foreign affairs has stated that the Canadian embassy sustained substancial damage to the roof and 2nd floor in this morning's aftershock - with our luck all of our file's are probly stored on the second floor! ; )

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Jess, All you post is helpful. I appreciate it.

Browngirl103, I am so sickened by all this tragedy, I couldn't imagine if my husband was in Haiti.

All we can do is keep praying.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think someone mentioned that all files are saved electronically so I'm sure the agents will have access to them from wherever they end up.

Hang in there ladies

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, at this point I just want my husband here. They are unorganized and I understand why, but it is frustrating when your referred to the 1-888-242-2100 number and they don't even know what the politicians are releasing to the press and public! On a positive note, my MP has been helpful and very understanding. The way things are going though... I have no clue when he'll be here. I kind of just feel like politicans state things so that they can save face in the international community.