Canadian Immigration Employees working in Port Au Prince...

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
So this probably means that we wont be getting the files back at the end of the process. Its been 5 months since I sent the papers. So Im wondering if they have been looked at in Haiti ?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Its been 5 months since I sent the papers. So Im wondering if they have been looked at in Haiti ?

Irina, does your online status show that you are " in process"? If it does then yes they have looked your papers.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
In my opinion, the CIC call center is not very knowledgeable about overseas processing.

They are more familiar with inland cases as they have access to info about inland cases.

For overseas cases, they really only have the same basic info that is shown on ecas.

I wouldn't put any value to anything they know or don't know about. If you call back again you will probably get a whole different story.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
Okay, just wanted to let you know. I got a VM at work from CIC here in Canada (in French), had someone translate it.... and then 3-way call because I had no clue what they were talking about w/ me to figure out what is going on. They are working on my file and were asking me for my payment receipt number and Bfile number. I told her I don't have this information here and that it's at home. She told me she is going to look it up. I asked her about the embassy in PAP and it was damaged by today's EQ. All the applications for Haitians will be processed here and they are going to be operating from SD as well. The way it sounds, DR applications and other countries will be handled from SD and the Haitian applications will be here. I'll let you guys know whatever else I am to find out as we go through this process. It's a good sign that they called me though!

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
Im happy for you brown girl...if CIC is going to move quickly, you may want to look into getting a Dominican Visa for your husband so that he can travel from there - as reports are that the aiport in Port au Prince wont be up and running for passenger flights for quite some time.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
Would he need a visa for the DR if he has a visa for Canada and an itenarary? I wonder how this is going to work?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Would he need a visa for the DR if he has a visa for Canada and an itenarary? I wonder how this is going to work?

There might be a special flight getting all those approved that are already in process and living in Haiti.

But that's just a guess on my part. I'm sure they will advise you once the visa has been issued how your hubby can get out of the country.

There's a lot of applications on the books and they need a way to get these people out which can't be handled by regular flights nor will they expect people to track over to the DR to find a flight.

They are moving on the applications which is a good thing. One thing at a time

Good news for today is that they called you.

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
Okay, just wanted to let you know. I got a VM at work from CIC here in Canada (in French), had someone translate it.... and then 3-way call because I had no clue what they were talking about w/ me to figure out what is going on. They are working on my file and were asking me for my payment receipt number and Bfile number. I told her I don't have this information here and that it's at home. She told me she is going to look it up. I asked her about the embassy in PAP and it was damaged by today's EQ. All the applications for Haitians will be processed here and they are going to be operating from SD as well. The way it sounds, DR applications and other countries will be handled from SD and the Haitian applications will be here. I'll let you guys know whatever else I am to find out as we go through this process. It's a good sign that they called me though!

Great news! That is a sign of progress. Hopefully you will be together very very soon. Fingers crossed :)

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
Thanks guys! You guys keep me motivated and attempting to think positively.... but, you never know... I've learned not to get my hopes up for anything, because when the disappointment comes when you have high expectations... it's even worse... :( But, thank you guys for helping me totally not lose hope!

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
this is fantastic news - I'm glad for every person they can find a way to get out of there and always happy to hear of spouses ending up together. I hope your husband is holding together well given his present situation - I can't even imagine. My prayers are with you for a speedy journey to Canada!

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Good news Brown_girl! Hopefully they will get things moving even faster and you're hubby will be here soon!

If you're able to find out any info for the rest of us, please post it.

Thank you & best of luck getting him here ASAP!!!!!

Jess

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
I will for sure let you guys know. The woman from CIC who called me and my MP told me to pretty much call them everyday. So, everything I can find out about the other countries that are handled by PAP I will try to ask about. Plus, gives me time away from work... lol.

I forgot to mention earlier, that I had asked her, if they are processing our application in SD and she said that the applications in SD are for the other countries. So, considering this woman is not part of the 1-888-242-2100 phone number.... I believe her information would be the most accurate.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
This is great news for all as it means all applications will continue to be worked on - so those with spouses in the DR should continue to see progress! Maybe I'm reading too much into it - but that's my take! Could it be - the government making a good decision???

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Thanks Brown_girl103! Good news about the SD office processing other countries applications.

Keep us posted on your hubby's situation. Hope he gets here within the next week:)

Thanks, Jess

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I wrote today to find out about how the situation will affect DR applications, where they will be processed, will there be delays etc. I should have answer in a couple days or so and will post it.

So far what is confirmed is that there are people working in Haiti - they'be set up shop in the embassy garage.

There are people being deployed to Santo Domingo, how many and for how long is unknown. Will this be a permanent office (most probably) or a temporary one?

They are adding extra staff, however the question remains if priority processing for hatian applications will work to the detriment of dominican ones - we'll see, but most probably, expect delays.

One question I asked is wether people submitting new applications should indicate in prominent letters that they're application would normally be destined to Port-au-Prince, as it was instructed for Hatian applications. Since things are sort of unknown where they will be heading, and chances of CIC staying in their current location are slim. PAP handled DR and Haiti only, so it very much affects DR applications. I'm sure we'll have clearer answers in a few days, right now, politicians are speaking, but there are things being done, hopefully it wont be too long.

I'll update when I have news.

Cheers!

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the info El Uruguayo.

I checked on the CIC website and in PAP they process the following countries: Dominican Republic, French Guyana, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Maarten, St. Martin.

So there's alot of people depending on the PAP office...

Hopefully we'll all get some good news soon.

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
Great to hear from you Carlos. This is a great post you started, thank you for taking the time to call and find out about those at the embassy in Haiti and posting it here. I am sure the person you are referring to processed our case as well and I am happy to hear she is doing fine.

My heart goes out to all those at the embassy in Haiti and those who worked there in the past as I am sure that the loss of family, friends, neighbours and some of the heart and soul of the places and culture that I am sure they loved is beyond imaging.

Also, for all those who are waiting sadly it may take a little longer but I can say for sure it will be worth it when all is completed.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
I must say... I know how hard it is to wait for your loved one to arrive, as life situations have it, I have not seen my spouse in over one year. That is just how life works sometimes. Life also can get even worse than not seeing your spouse... I am living proof of this, more so my husband. I do not wish any DR applications to take longer than usual, and I will do my best.... to make sure that I ask everyday that I call to ask regarding my application for my Haitian husband.... what will be happening with the rest of the applications either not affected by the earthquake... or from a different country. Just wanted to let everyone know, I got your back.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
And from what I was told today, there is no one working in the PAP office any longer due to the earthquake that damaged the embassy just today. All officers are being moved to SD.... this was according to the woman who called to question me today.