Ceiling Fans

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Looking at the site, you can order in the US and/or Canada, and then ship to DR using your own choice of company. Nice find. Thank you for the info Señor Webster.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Right, upwards of $1,000. for (1) ceiling fan..........

spg, how many are you going to order :laugh:

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Right, upwards of $1,000. for (1) ceiling fan..........

spg, how many are you going to order :laugh:

Of course, I would start with one first. I've spent more on smaller things that were less practical. I need to have one of my air conditioners replaced, and I don't feel like dealing with the garbage that they sell down here in DR. A very good quality, energy efficient ceiling fan, as this company provides would actually save me money in the long run. Not just on the product itself, but on my monthly electric bill as well. I've been looking at the company, and various reviews of it since Señor Webster posted the site info earlier, and all seems very good. For the model I'm considering, I could have it shipped to New York in three weeks. From there, my shipper can have it delivered to me in San Pedro in two weeks time. Placement of order, until delivered at my front door would be 5 weeks max. I'd be looking at the second week of September fully installed. Not a problem for me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
And my bet is that the import fees will be minimal because they won't really understand the item.

Mudanzas don't ask for invoices....it will come in as a ceiling fan....plain and simple.

I too think it might be worth the money...
Adding the longer life into the equation......makes some sense.

Call the phone number and have chat, ask all the questions 
I'd be interested to hear the pitch.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Big Ass Fans Haiku I Series:
https://www.pcmag.com/review/347816/big-ass-fans-haiku-i-series
Pros:
Beautifully designed. Equipped with motion, temperature, and humidity sensors. Whisper-quiet. Works with Nest and Ecobee thermostats. Supports Alexa voice control.
Cons:
Expensive. No IFTTT support. App lacks temperature and humidity readings.
Bottom Line:
The Haiku I Series from Big Ass Fans is a pricey connected ceiling fan that combines stunning good looks with lots of smart features including multiple sensors, Wi-Fi connectivity, Alexa voice control, and support for third-party devices.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks
The Cadillac ( or BMW) of fans.....

Historically, I have been a Loews/ Home Depot customer.
For a main room...a big one, it may be worth a try.
Cathedral ceilings especially 

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Trying to figure out why everyone thinks that metal blades will move the air around better? If anything, the metal blades have less resistance (smooth surface) thus the air sliding of the blade as it turns. I would think that the wood blades with more drag would catch and throw the air much better. It has to be that the metal blades are less prone to bend than the wood, thus the angle in which the are installed is much steeper having the effect of catching more air.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Since this thread, I have looked at my fans...

Composite blades , all bought here by my builder.
No rusting.

I have had one fan on 9 yrs have a motor failure.... an easy fix.
It is positioned in a place that gets a steady ocean breeze and in a room used little

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Sanpedrogringo: Please let us know if you buy the Haiku fan and also try to figure out how much more energy efficient it is (i.e., saving you money on your electric bill. And, of course, if you have any problem with the delivery and/or extra customs fees. Thanks!

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/52-Inch-Whi...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Bought these ones, Westinghouse, PLASTIC!!!!... but yeah had to drill two new holes but now works perfect...

I ordered two sets and got a decent discount.

After a while, please let us know if you are still happy with using these replacement blades. I live near the ocean and my metal blades rust in less than 3 months. Not only is it expensive to replace them, they metal KDK replacement blades are difficult to find. I paint mine if I have to and I keep the painted set as spares in case I can't find new ones. The KDK manual says not to paint them (probably affects the balance and airflow over the blade), but I have no choice sometimes. Once there's rust on the blades, they throw off moisture and make brown spots on my walls...a never-ending painting process to keep the walls looking decent. Cleaning won't remove the rust stains. This is all a huge maintenance issue for me. Plastic or fiberglass or aluminum blades would be a huge help! Thanks!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Judy - Now I have to go look at my walls. That has to be annoying. But I don't live as close to the water as you I think. I'll look at my KDK blades too, there may be a way to make some alum blades for it.

Ever since the BA fans went up at POP I've loved those things. But this hi-tech one doesn't do anything for me. I look at that tiny circut board and wonder how many months it would last.

[video=youtube;qtvN_udjOHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtvN_udjOHk[/video]

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Judy - Now I have to go look at my walls. That has to be annoying. But I don't live as close to the water as you I think. I'll look at my KDK blades too, there may be a way to make some alum blades for it.

Ever since the BA fans went up at POP I've loved those things. But this hi-tech one doesn't do anything for me. I look at that tiny circuit board and wonder how many months it would last.

I understand your concern. I have USB slots and the matching plugs (not sure if that is the technical name) that get rusted! Even the insides of my old Acer laptop had rust and little tiny bugs love the warmth. It's a never-ending process of keeping anything metal clean, free of rust and decent looking. My piano has brass-plated tiny hinges on the cover and even they rust. You should see the brass petals. They each have two or three spots of rust. I guess I could have prevented the rust with nail polish or lacquer but I didn't realize the potential for a problem till the rust was there! ugh!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Laptops

My Lenovo keyboard rusted out.
Full refund from Lenovo....keyboard no longer available while still under warranty.

Sorry to digress