Ceiling Fans

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
You don't need the big box on the wall for kdk fans ,I use a regular variable speed switch ,works great.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Sanpedrogringo: Please let us know if you buy the Haiku fan and also try to figure out how much more energy efficient it is (i.e., saving you money on your electric bill. And, of course, if you have any problem with the delivery and/or extra customs fees. Thanks!

Will do. I'm mixing and matching different ideas with it right now. There are several personal touches that work around the basic design which I'm juggling. I already know that delivery/customs fees won't be a problem. As far as the energy savings, if ordered now and received in September, I won't start seeing any savings until the October or possibly November bill. November is always a tricky month because that's when I set up my Christmas lights, but also use less AC.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Will do. I'm mixing and matching different ideas with it right now. There are several personal touches that work around the basic design which I'm juggling. I already know that delivery/customs fees won't be a problem. As far as the energy savings, if ordered now and received in September, I won't start seeing any savings until the October or possibly November bill. November is always a tricky month because that's when I set up my Christmas lights, but also use less AC.

Of what
year, it will take a lifetime before "the savings" makes a dent in the purchase price of $1,000. for 1 ceiling fan.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The PH we rented has 6 KDK ceiling fans with metal blades, no rust. Guess because we are not close to the Malecon anymore as before.

But, wow, what fans! Way to go! :)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
When I opened my 3rd private school in Phoenix, AZ., I used over 30 KDK ceiling fans, best fan for the price.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

Of what
year, it will take a lifetime before "the savings" makes a dent in the purchase price of $1,000. for 1 ceiling fan.

Stop being such a tightwad. Live a little. All you have to do is compare the first month's bill with the fan, to the same corresponding month's bill one year prior using the AC: November '17 to November '16, and compare the kilowatt usage. You will see how much it dropped. That is a raw sample, but gives you a baseline to work with. Of course, in the beginning, it's a guestimate, as things change over time, but really not. My price for kilowatt used has remained the same for a very long time. Hey, I may even put up more Christmas lights this year! Back on track here. If you buy a new AC and install it January 1st, and your electric bill doubles when received the next month, would you not be led to believe that all you have to do is double the amounts of the prior year's bills to get a guestimate of what your bill may be? If you go out to dinner once per month, and your average bill is 10,000 pesos, would it not be safe to say that if you wanted to go out to dinner 4x per month, you would need roughly 40,000 pesos?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
When I opened my 3rd private school in Phoenix, AZ., I used over 30 KDK ceiling fans, best fan for the price.

Ceiling fans in a Phoenix, AZ classroom? 110 degrees in the shade? Even the Diamondbacks have AC in Chase Field (formerly The BOB). Did you let the kids drink water, or did they have to bring their own canteens?

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
3 ac units per school + fans........duh

Plus 1 dedicated ac per commercial kitchen...
spg, start using your brains....

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Relax. Some of you older people have no sense of humor. It's Friday. Let your hair down, play some music, and breathe.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Since this thread, I have looked at my fans...

Composite blades , all bought here by my builder.
No rusting.

I have had one fan on 9 yrs have a motor failure.... an easy fix.
It is positioned in a place that gets a steady ocean breeze and in a room used little

uhmmm, composite blades 

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I inherited KDK fans when I bought my place.Blades looked pretty nasty but took then down.de-rusted then and gave a few coats of Rustoleum white spray.
So far it's been three years and still OK.
The KDK motor units are well made and I installed a remote control from Amazon which is pretty good.
Agree KDK if you can afford them but if you live near the sea count on repainting them after a while.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I was visiting with a Dominican family and suggested we turn on the fan overhead. It is bad (malo) I was told. I looked at it and shur nuff it was malo. of the three blades one was mounted correctly and the othr two were reversed. I pulled out my Leatherman tool and got it going for them within minutes.
Der Fish

May 5, 2007
I was visiting with a Dominican family and suggested we turn on the fan overhead. It is bad (malo) I was told. I looked at it and shur nuff it was malo. of the three blades one was mounted correctly and the othr two were reversed. I pulled out my Leatherman tool and got it going for them within minutes.
Der Fish
DR1's own
McGyver :) Seriously, good job when one of those fans get out of balance in my unit I call for a repairman, just can't seem to get them balanced properly