Ceiling Fans

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
DR1's own
McGyver :) Seriously, good job when one of those fans get out of balance in my unit I call for a repairman, just can't seem to get them balanced properly

Like harmonising a helicopter's blades,it's important that firstly they don't have a significant difference in weight (blobs of ceiling paint or bits broken off from throwing the baby too high etc.) and then to ensure that the blades are all exactly the same height,or distance from the ceiling.To the nearest half centimetre (or 55/332 or something,of those old fashioned inches for our American brethren).This can be done by bending the recalcitrant blade(s) gently up or down as required.Many fitters don't do this and finish up with a manic corkscrew trying to lethally destroy itself and nearby residents at speed.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I see KDK is the favorite of some posters but Hunter ceiling fans, IMO, are a great bang for the buck. Fairly easy install, couple with an add on remote and for around $150 USD you are set to blow, I mean go.

http://www.comparing.guru/pages/nsearch?seedid=1055&origin=bing

I have a six blade Hunter fan (two 3 blade levels) that I bought over 20 years ago and it's still going strong. Wood blades that don't droop either.

I love that fan.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
We have Hunters (4) and have no complaints. They are probably about 12 years old.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
You've had 3 since 1984 (33 years old), or in 33 years you've had 3 different ones? Either way, it makes for a funny line: "Hey kid, my ceiling fans are older than you."

LOL!!! My parents actually bought all 3 fans in 1984, I was 14, am 47 now, all 3 fans still doing their job!

The Professor

Sep 22, 2015
Based upon the suggestions here, I think I'm going to buy a couple of KDK fans. Anyone know of a good place to buy them in Santo Domingo? I'd like someplace with some selection that can also provide professional installation.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We have Hunter fans for 10 years. Only problem is the blades on the 2 outside rust. I got tired of taking the blades off and painting them. I looked up fans with plastic blades. Got them from Home Depot. About the same price as the others. Brought them down in my suitcase. No problem at the POP airport.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Visit La Innovacion. They have KDK, Hunter and a lesser known brand, Montecarlo. Have had the three. Most recent buy was Montecarlo. Recommend all three. Check them out.

lainnovacion.com.do/catalogos.html