Changes In Sosua

juant

May 9, 2012
I recently came from Sosua (19th of June) and a lot of things changed there. I am informing everyone of the following: Rumba remains the hot spot for drinks and girls hangout/pickup, El Flow has lost a the crowds to Rumba and most of the time is dead, Willy opened up a new spot next to Rumba as a bar/restaurant and when I met him and spoke to him he stated that he was going to open a Hooters there and a Club in the back of the place but it started very pricy on drinks and they charge you a tax on your bill, Sosua Life bar is dead since the new owner took over, La Roca opened back up, Sosua Bay Hotel has been closed for a while, Hotel Europa is selling there apartments for $25,000.00 each, Hotel Terralinda hicked there prices to between $70 to $80 a day, Seacrest is supposed to open back up soon, The Shark Bar is opened back up with the same owner and Rocky's has gone down dramatically in their service and food quality. The breakfast is not the same with limited amount of food and their ribs don't taste the same due to a new cook. Last but not least, Club Clasico raised their prices to $200 pesos each for both men and women to enter and the club is dead with only limited females attending. Now, if you want to pick up women, just go across the street from Club Clasico to a new bar where all the girls hang out all night.

kinostar

May 24, 2012
For anyone looking here who might be interested in visiting Sosua but never have, I would like to offer my opinion of it. I have heard the place called "SO SEWER" by its critics. And while I don't quite have that view, I can't really say it is worthwhile to stay there if you are not interested in (heterosexual) prostitution. It appeals mostly to Gringo guys who want to pick up Dominican girls. Since that isn't my scene, I sort of felt like a fish out of water there, although Dominican families do come to the beach on weekends in the daytime. I did enjoy the small Jewish museum, don't know if it is still open as I have heard conflicting reports. I picked a nice hotel and had a deal but the music late at night didn't appeal. I found the town beach to be pretty and liked the easy access to the airport.

In short, go to Sosua for meeting hookers. Don't go if you aren't interested in that. I know this isn't the image some want of the place but I found it to be still the reality. And this isn't any kind of judgement against it as it is none of my business what people arrange between the sheets.

Aug 21, 2007
Obviously, kinostar, you only saw the surface of Sosua, perhaps walking Pedro Clisante late at night. Aside from that, another side of Sosua thrives. There are beautiful apartment complexes with private, white sand beaches with no vendors and no prostitutes. There are social activities every week that have nothing to do with the bar scene. (For example, this weekend is a performance of the musical Chicago.) There are several great restaurants nearby. One, in particular, offers live music by professional musicians almost every week. And there is the opportunity to be part of social groups with friends from all over the world.

If you are a tourist who wishes to come here, stay in basic budget accommodations, party at night, and meet girls, that is available.

However, if you are not so limited, budget-wise, and willing to scratch below the surface, Sosua offers opportunities that are as nice as most Caribbean locations.

Lindsey

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Paris?

For anyone looking here who might be interested in visiting Sosua but never have, I would like to offer my opinion of it. I have heard the place called "SO SEWER" by its critics. And while I don't quite have that view, I can't really say it is worthwhile to stay there if you are not interested in (heterosexual) prostitution. It appeals mostly to Gringo guys who want to pick up Dominican girls. Since that isn't my scene, I sort of felt like a fish out of water there, although Dominican families do come to the beach on weekends in the daytime. I did enjoy the small Jewish museum, don't know if it is still open as I have heard conflicting reports. I picked a nice hotel and had a deal but the music late at night didn't appeal. I found the town beach to be pretty and liked the easy access to the airport.

In short, go to Sosua for meeting hookers. Don't go if you aren't interested in that. I know this isn't the image some want of the place but I found it to be still the reality. And this isn't any kind of judgement against it as it is none of my business what people arrange between the sheets.

May I suggest Paris or Nice?
Barcelona has a nice old town but there may be too many hookers for your taste. :cheeky:

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Rocky's has gone down dramatically due to a new cook.

For breakfast, it is the same cook we have had for the past 10 years. As for dinner time, I now have a chef that worked in a 5 star resort in Punta Cana for 8 years. He has worked with me now for over two years. I can assure you NOTHING has changed in Rocky's except for the better. I also take contructive critism very well and react positively to complaints about my place. If you care to PM me or come on by and explain exactly what it is you don't like, I'd be very happy to listen. after all, if the points you make are valid, it can only help.

Take care

Rick

May 29, 2006
There has been a core of a handful businesses in Sosua that seem immune to the ups and downs of the town-- everything else is up for grabs. La Britannia is a favorite among ex-pats and Rocky's has had a well deserved following as a place for reasonable-good pub fare at a excellent value and a place to meet people and get good advice. The common thread seems to be some very active, hands on management and not changing things unless they actually need to be changed.

I've seen the town with up to a 50% vacancy rate on PC numerous times in the fall. The town is continually dying and then being reborn. 10 years from now, I expect Rockys and Britannia will still be around along with Schnitzel Paradise, La Roca, Baileys, Four Rose's, Passions, Hotel Perla and Hotel Colibri. I'd like to see someone bring Eddy's/Calle Ayuntimiento back to life, but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Rocky's has gone down dramatically in their service and food quality. The breakfast is not the same with limited amount of food and their ribs don't taste the same due to a new cook.

Ridiculous statement. I've been eating breakfast there for about 8 years and no change in the amount you get with a breakfast.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
... Rocky's has gone down dramatically in their service and food quality. The breakfast is not the same with limited amount of food and their ribs don't taste the same due to a new cook...
They must have really been something back in your day. We had dinner there two nights last week and the food and service were well appreciated by all in attendance. I only had the ribs and pizza, but the burgers that were devoured by others in my party looked quite tempting also.

kinostar

May 24, 2012
Obviously, kinostar, you only saw the surface of Sosua, perhaps walking Pedro Clisante late at night. Aside from that, another side of Sosua thrives. There are beautiful apartment complexes with private, white sand beaches with no vendors and no prostitutes. There are social activities every week that have nothing to do with the bar scene. (For example, this weekend is a performance of the musical Chicago.) There are several great restaurants nearby. One, in particular, offers live music by professional musicians almost every week. And there is the opportunity to be part of social groups with friends from all over the world.

If you are a tourist who wishes to come here, stay in basic budget accommodations, party at night, and meet girls, that is available.

However, if you are not so limited, budget-wise, and willing to scratch below the surface, Sosua offers opportunities that are as nice as most Caribbean locations.

Lindsey

Ja ja ja, I have heard this for years and went to Sosua thinking it was true. But I found that I could hardly walk outside without being constantly asked if I wanted sex. Not my scene. Yes, there are other things in Sosua and I mentioned some of them. And I stick by my opinion "to each her or his own" but the elephant is in the room in Sosua that some people want to deny. My advice for anyone thinking of Sosua as a destination would be the same as for Boca Chica...know what you are getting into. If that is your cup of tea, fine. If it is not, pick another locale. Sex tourists often deny they are or that it exists. And, honey, it is in your face in Sosua!

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Nobody ever mentions their fresh mashed potatoes, there great...........

B in Santiago

Yes we had some of those also. I am a fry guy myself, but my wife gave me a bite of hers. Not bad. I've never seen my wife's side of the family clean their plates so well.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
ever get the feeling some people go to sosua just to complain ? you know they have medication for that. :ermm:

mamgirl

Mar 25, 2012
I don't know why I feel the need to defend Sosua, since I've only been there twice. But as a tourist there I just wanted to put my two cents in. Yes the sex tourism trade is in your face, but I don't think that is any reason to not go there if you're not into that.

I brought my children there and we had a GREAT vacation lying on the beach, swimming all day, eating out at some of the great places mentioned here. No one offered me drugs, or sex, or anything of the sort. It is quite possible to still have a lovely vacation - even a family one - in Sosua if you're not into the sex tourism thing. (edit: I should say no one on the street offered me sex)

Looking forward to going back some day...

May 29, 2006
I once heard a Welchman complain for a full half hour about his stay at an AI in Sosua. But he told it with such a poetic style that I thought for sure he was telling a lengthy joke.

Some of his complaints were really quite humorous. They put him and his wife in a room with two Singles, and he said he wanted one bed for both of them. So instead of putting them in a room with a Queen, they simply took one of the Singles out of his room. The staff wondered why they complained when they had followed their crazy request to the letter. Some people you just can't make happy...

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I was driving past the playero on the main road in sosua a few days ago and i saw a guy holding up what looked to be a small gramaphone player to sell presumably, i nearly stopped as i was amazed to see one, but i didnt, i did wonder where on earth he got it from.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
But I found that I could hardly walk outside without being constantly asked if I wanted sex. . And, honey, it is in your face in Sosua!

Sure, if you're standing on the sidewalk in front of Classicos at 1AM. Otherwise another bs statement.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I recently came from Sosua (19th of June) and a lot of things changed there. I am informing everyone of the following: Rumba remains the hot spot for drinks and girls hangout/pickup, El Flow has lost a the crowds to Rumba and most of the time is dead, Willy opened up a new spot next to Rumba as a bar/restaurant and when I met him and spoke to him he stated that he was going to open a Hooters there and a Club in the back of the place but it started very pricy on drinks and they charge you a tax on your bill, Sosua Life bar is dead since the new owner took over, La Roca opened back up, Sosua Bay Hotel has been closed for a while, Hotel Europa is selling there apartments for $25,000.00 each, Hotel Terralinda hicked there prices to between $70 to $80 a day, Seacrest is supposed to open back up soon, The Shark Bar is opened back up with the same owner and Rocky's has gone down dramatically in their service and food quality. The breakfast is not the same with limited amount of food and their ribs don't taste the same due to a new cook. Last but not least, Club Clasico raised their prices to $200 pesos each for both men and women to enter and the club is dead with only limited females attending. Now, if you want to pick up women, just go across the street from Club Clasico to a new bar where all the girls hang out all night.

The club you mention across the street, did they reopen Club X again?????? I always liked that place better than Classicos. Better prices, too.