Changes In Sosua

May 29, 2006
Whenever a girl comes up to you on the street, the odds are good she's trying to pickpocket you as much as hit on you.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I was in the hospital all day yesterday and while i was there waiting, i could have bought flip flops, t-shirts, and countless people come in on crutches begging for money. it's a tough, tough life here for the have-nots. as for women offering massages and/or sex, yes in sosua it is absolutely non-stop.......for some reason the colour of my skin is a giveaway..lol

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was driving past the playero on the main road in sosua a few days ago and i saw a guy holding up what looked to be a small gramaphone player to sell presumably, i nearly stopped as i was amazed to see one, but i didnt, i did wonder where on earth he got it from.

I guess that explains where Sr Hess' phonograph is!
Was it an RCA Victrola, you should have bought it.

May 29, 2006
It used to happen ten years ago too. It's one of the reasons I steered clear of the discos, left my wallet at home and kept my bills in several pockets. People who complain about being pick-pocketed with more than RD$10,000 in their wallet or getting an iPhone lifted don't get much sympathy from me.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Sure, if you're standing on the sidewalk in front of Classicos at 1AM. Otherwise another bs statement.
yes
its like going to the circus and then complain about the clowns!
Manu

May 29, 2006
It's terrible. They rub your crotch and show you their breasts to distract you while they try to lift your wallet. I knew a guy who went through five 100 peso wallets in one week! :)

Hi-9

Jun 22, 2012
The Red-Light district in Sosua is concentrated on one street and run for only about one block; from El Flow down to the Classico night club. Yet people talk about Sosua as if the entire community is just on big fat whore town. There is not much activity outside of this area. Sosua has more going for it than "Ho Town."

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The Red-Light district in Sosua is concentrated on one street and run for only about one block; from El Flow down to the Classico night club. Yet people talk about Sosua as if the entire community is just on big fat whore town. There is not much activity outside of this area. Sosua has more going for it than "Ho Town."

Perhaps you can run for Ilana's Minister of Information next election?

kinostar

May 24, 2012
Sure, if you're standing on the sidewalk in front of Classicos at 1AM. Otherwise another bs statement.

Just because no one hassles YOU for sex doesn't mean others aren't pestered. Try going to Sosua as a young woman and see if you like the offers you get. For a small town, the sex industry is very large. As I have said "to each her or his own" but lets not paint a wholesome picture.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Kino - that's a bit of a spin. I don't think anybody said "wholesome" or anything close to that. And I do get propositioned, I'm a very handsome guy. I hope you weren't trying to insult me. Ok, I could stand to loose a couple pounds, but hey....

Never been to Sosua as a young woman. So I may have to give you that one.

kinostar

May 24, 2012
Kino - that's a bit of a spin. I don't think anybody said "wholesome" or anything close to that. And I do get propositioned, I'm a very handsome guy. I hope you weren't trying to insult me. Ok, I could stand to loose a couple pounds, but hey....

Never been to Sosua as a young woman. So I may have to give you that one.

Ok, but I didn't call YOUR post bs. I write from my visit, my feelings. The way some here pretend Sosua isn't a sex destination needs a bit of reality, in my opinion. It is infamous for it. Many guys on the prowl and many chicas working. I sincerely hope they find what they want. That's life. Not a complaint. I just think people thinking of a Sosua visit need to know the score, what to expect. Some, like me will pick another destination. I can tell it like it is because I am not trying to sell property or conduct any other business in Sosua. When people say it is just one street (which I didn't find the case) they omit it is just about the town's main street.

Didn't mean to set off a firestorm. If you look at my original post you will see I listed some good things about the place. I liked the Playas. But it isn't such a good thing that people think any single guy or girl in town must want a cheap roll in the hay. Mae West once said love at first sight saves alot of time...but there are those of us who like to get to know someone first. Or have someone already and are not looking. Sure, I can just say no but lewd offers are disrespectful. Places like Sosua leave me feeling dirty, so it isn't for me. But other towns in the Dominican Republic are much better.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
thats true i always ride a scooter or dirt bike up different hills across the main road and see a lot of different people hanging out. just go out side of the box

potatohead

May 10, 2012
A little forbearance here is requested. This is totally hypothetical so it should pass muster. I have PM'd a few guys here and am getting wildly different estimates on prices. I'm trying to plan my budget for this winter as I want to go to DR. But I can't go if breaks the budget. That's common sense. example: If I was in a bar in Sousa and met a girl with an enchanting voice and wanted her to come back to my hotel and sing to me. How many usd would be expected for a virtuoso performance? Please keep in mind, you answers will decide my destination this winter. I know some of you are not to keen on me but I would like to meet many of you when/if I arrive. But my budget is the limiting factor on where I spend my winters. Please help with some honest information............thanks.......PH

kinostar

May 24, 2012
If I was in a bar in Sousa and met a girl with an enchanting voice and wanted her to come back to my hotel and sing to me. How many usd would be expected for a virtuoso performance?

You have a wonderful way with words! Your post has me laughing! I wish I knew the answer for you. I hope if you decide to go that you have a great time!

potatohead

May 10, 2012
If I was in a bar in Sousa and met a girl with an enchanting voice and wanted her to come back to my hotel and sing to me. How many usd would be expected for a virtuoso performance?

You have a wonderful way with words! Your post has me laughing! I wish I knew the answer for you. I hope if you decide to go that you have a great time!
May I ask why you don't have the answer? You don't like singing?

kinostar

May 24, 2012
May I ask why you don't have the answer? You don't like singing?

I am not much of a singer, I guess! But , don't worry, you will find a whole chorus of singing groups by just walking around Sosua eager to give a concert of their greatest hits!

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Dear Mr. Moderator: My above post prompted a flood of PM's. I have the information I was looking for and will never ask about singing in the DR ever again. So please don't ban me. From now on I will be looking for practical information. I am so there!!!!!!!!! Viva DR!