Cigars, Cigars, and More Cigars

Once the Cuban embargo is lifted, what hand made cigars would you buy?

• Total voters
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
through the spammer this thread came to my attention.

As HB knows I smoke quite a few Cuban and Dominican cigars...

As the market opens up... I believe the difference in cigars will remain. Thusly those who favour full flavoured cigars will tend to turn to the Cubans and those who will favour the lighter taste of the Dominican cigars will turn to the DR cigars... both of whom are a well made product.

I always compare cigars to whisky or wine... upon reaching a certain quality level, there is no better or worse cigar.. it all depends on taste.. calling a Partagas D-series better than a great Dominican cigar (Arturo Fuentes) to me is like saying a white shirt is better than a blue shirt.. it becomes a matter of preference...

The old saying 'there is no accounting for taste' also applies here I believe.

Cheers,

MD

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Merengue Dutchie has probably said it best. Taste. Personally I love Nicaraguan cigars!! Blasphemy, HB!! How could you?
Easy, they are good cigars.
But you live in the DR!!

Yes and I also really enjoy many of the Dominican cigars. Remember I am special and I have access to just about every one of the factories here....I get product all the time and puff and report...My palate is appreciated...

So taste is basically there for experimenting. Remember the world's largest selling cigar is very, very mild...Bombs like Opus X, or Cohiba, or Augusto Reyes Criolla, or any of the "full bodied" cigars are not to everyone's liking. The Macanudo is.

When the embargo goes, step aside....Cuba will be invaded by wanna be cigar experts...and the Cubans will flood the market with third rate fakes....made in back yards from table scraps...you'll see....

they do it now, so what's to keep them from increasing their production??? (If Cuba opens up..)

HB, not worried....with a good Port, a good cigar and a good book....ah life can be nice..

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
thanks to all the posted..
Arcadio reserva will be tested out in a convection show in las vegas late this summer..
It will be a dark wrpa 60 ring 7 inch strong body cigar intended for high end customers that usually buy our guayaveras...
Hb when they are ready for taste will get you a few..

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
alrighty. I am an amateur when it comes to cigars but I do love to smoke them. I'll be in Cabarete all next week. can someone point me in the direction to a place where I can buy some legitmate cigars. I understand some will try to sell you phonys.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The last time I was in Cabarete i did not see a decent cigar store along the whole street.
You can find legitimate cigars (Not Cubans) at Super Super in Sosua.

If you want, you can take a short day trip to Santiago and visit Leon Jimenes' model shop where they make the high end cigars...and where you can buy honest cigars.

there is a cigar kiosk in the Nacional supermarket in Santiago that offers good cigars.

That is about it unless you want to spend a whole day exploring tobacco barns and smaller factories puffing on just made cigars...which is also doable..

HB

El_Canuck

Mar 5, 2006
I bought a pack of Principes today at the supermarket in Sosua. They cost 103 pesos for the pack of 5. Where are those 50 pesos packs at? :)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I bought a pack of Principes today at the supermarket in Sosua. They cost 103 pesos for the pack of 5. Where are those 50 pesos packs at? :)

Did you go to Super Super? They also have a box containing five packs (so a total of 25) I believe they work out at around 65 pesos a pack last time I was there (july this year).

El_Canuck

Mar 5, 2006
Did you go to Super Super? They also have a box containing five packs (so a total of 25) I believe they work out at around 65 pesos a pack last time I was there (july this year).

No it was another supermarket. I don't know the name but I saw Super Super yesterday when it was closed so I'll go check their deal.

Jdjones said:
Hell, at 103 pesos, that's only 21 pesos each. much less than a buck. Be happy. It's a great little cigar.

Very true. And I am happy. But if I can get something for half the price I'll do it.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Perfectly stated.

As the market opens up... I believe the difference in cigars will remain. Thusly those who favour full flavoured cigars will tend to turn to the Cubans and those who will favour the lighter taste of the Dominican cigars will turn to the DR cigars... both of whom are a well made product.

I always compare cigars to whisky or wine... upon reaching a certain quality level, there is no better or worse cigar.. it all depends on taste.. ..

I prefer the Dominican sticks and when in a mood for something a little more robust I tend to prefer Nicaraguan cigars over Cubans. I do, however prefer the Cohiba Lanceros and Esplendidos over their Dominican counterparts but I'll only smoke one every couple of months or so.

The embargo is stupid. It's way too easy to get Cuban cigars in the States if you don't get greedy and order large quantities. The taxes don't get paid on these and they end up costing only slightly more than the Dominicans as a result. The taxes on cigars in the States are ridiculously high but only a small percentage smokes them and we tend to be able to afford them so no one complains much.

Maybe with the embargo lifted the price of Dominican cigars in the States will become a little more reasonable. Now I've just got to find a place to smoke one. PC Nation can't stand to see us enjoy a good stick, Cuban or otherwise.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
The last time that I was in the DR I smoked two very good cigars. One was a Graycliff that a friend from Nassau gave me. A Bahamian brand, it was deceptively full-bodied, well made and smoked very well. Exactly what you'd expect from a premium brand.

The second was a locally rolled ringless cigar that was bought from a little shop in Cabarete for pennies. Probably rolled by a local factory worker trying to make some pesos. The shop owner wanted to sell me a bundle of 25 for $100usd. Which probably means that you could get it for about $50. I gotta tell you, that was a damn good cigar. Medium bodied and expertly rolled, it smoked very well. I'd have gone back and bought a bundle if I wasn't pressed for time trying to make my flight the next day.

It's not a cigar that you want to offer to a business client or your buddies at the cigar club. But definitely a great option for filling up some space in your humidor at home. I'll be getting that bundle on my next trip.;)

Vince.

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
I think the recent tax increase on cigars in the US is more threatening to the industry than available Cuban cigars.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
.....best RP I've had yet

Cigar smoking is an addiction, like sex is an addiction(if you can call it that)

The "Decade" was sooooooo good...

Yeah buddy. Sometimes I just open the box to get a whiff.

That Rocky Patel is really starting to get his act together. He's a very interesting guy with an equally interesting story.

Once again last month I brought some Caobas (bundled) back with me and the Customs guy in Miami asked me if they were cuban. Me, being me responded: "No, Sir. I get my Cubans in the mail like everybody else".

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
ain't that the truth?

I think the recent tax increase on cigars in the US is more threatening to the industry than available Cuban cigars.

It's one of the few luxuries we can still afford, so they tax the crap out of them. Pretty soon Cigars will be cheaper in Canada than in the U.S., imagine that. Too bad we only get to bring back 50 at a time.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I prefer the Dominican sticks and when in a mood for something a little more robust I tend to prefer Nicaraguan cigars over Cubans. I do, however prefer the Cohiba Lanceros and Esplendidos over their Dominican counterparts but I'll only smoke one every couple of months or so.

The embargo is stupid. It's way too easy to get Cuban cigars in the States if you don't get greedy and order large quantities. The taxes don't get paid on these and they end up costing only slightly more than the Dominicans as a result. The taxes on cigars in the States are ridiculously high but only a small percentage smokes them and we tend to be able to afford them so no one complains much.

Maybe with the embargo lifted the price of Dominican cigars in the States will become a little more reasonable. Now I've just got to find a place to smoke one. PC Nation can't stand to see us enjoy a good stick, Cuban or otherwise.

Like you and HB I've also turned to Nicaraugan cigars. Recently bought a nice box of very full flavoured ones..

Mavic

Apr 19, 2010
hey can I bring cigars into the country coming from the USA? Im bringing a box of Drew Estates...I wont have any problems will I? Yeah Im a cherrie on this site...spent all night checking out all the info on my upcoming trip to the DR...looking for a place to kick it and drink...and have fun!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Good Day to you All.
NAls thnak you for posting the Poll.
The Dominican Cigar industry is pretty good at the moment in certain market we have very little competition and in other we are not the favorite (EUROPE,Brazil.
indeed this poll was intended to get a feeling of What DR1 members think about Cigars and i that lifting the US base embargo would have a effect on potential consumers.

So far we dont see a marketing problem with our tabaco its just is best to see what the reaction would be in all sectors of the industry and out side of it...
Grahame..maybe we can talk about your marketing Ideas while giving g you a tour of our Guayavera factory.in Santiago...all are welcome to join..maybe we can sample some upcoming blends of cigars ..and meet some of the smokers and the one oppose to the idea also.....

please pm me, as I would be very interested in a tour of your factory... mi esposa was the head of the laboratory for Philip Morris in Belgium, and I am at the moment involved in setting up a wine bar with the necessary high quality cigars in Jarabacoa...

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I have to pack somebody off to the UK with cigars as a gift.
The recipient is a cigar fanatic apparently.
I suggested asking what he would like but it is supposed to be a surprise.

I smoke the occasional cigar and enjoy the Cohibas available at the little Cohiba store just down from the Hardrock Cafe in the zona colonial.

What would a cigar smoker be happiest to smoke and how do I avoid buying fakes?
What would be the most impressive cigar for him to have sitting in his humidor as a talking point for all his cigar smoking buddies?
How much do I pay for a role of fifty?
Where do I get a bargain?

Yeah, I know smoking is bad for you...

So -

• Best smoke?
  • Best Label?
  • Best store?
Thanks in advance.