Cigars, Cigars, and More Cigars

Once the Cuban embargo is lifted, what hand made cigars would you buy?

• Total voters

championchad

Nov 13, 2011
Hey Guys I'm heading to Paradisus on the 25th of this month for a week. I want some advice on buying cigars and or factory tours. Also any good suggestions on exchanging US $ and getting the best exchange rate?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You can tour Tabacaleria de Garcia, the largest hand-made cigar factory in the world, located in La Romana. I believe they have transportation (or can arrange it) from Punta Cana/Bavaro.

Check out their website:
Cigar Factory Tour in Dominican Republic - Tabacalera de Garc?a- Las Palmas Cigar Co.

There are a few small tourist-type cigar makers in Bavaro you can check out, but I highly recommend the above tour.

Advice for buying cigars...don't buy ANYTHING on the beach or in the gift shops. There's an excellent store at the factory in La Romana and another huge place in La Romana called (I think ) Columbus Plaza, that all the tour buses stop at. They have an incredible selection, but high prices. I'm sure there's a decent cigar store or lounge in PC, but I don't know of any names or locations...

Also, as mentioned several times in this thread, you can buy standard La Aurora and Leon Jimenez cigars in most supermarkets.

championchad

Nov 13, 2011
Thanks for the advice! Have any advice on shopping plazas? Heard of the Captn Cook supermarket? While at Paradisus is it best to get around locally by foot or on a public bus or cab?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
There are a couple of Paradisus resorts in Punta Cana. Depending on which one, where you are, and where you want to go, you can walk, take a moto concho, or a cab. Buses are good if you know which one to take. Also... I'm not a cigar guy, but there's this really cool looking place right in the center of el Cortecito (the little town which is the heart of Punta Cana / Bavaro tourist area) if I remember correctly it's called something like "the Cigar House", or "Cigar Home"... something like that. I know nothing about it except it looks cool, and my R.E. agent was telling me the guy is very friendly and great to talk to. It's on a side street just off the main road going through the town.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
See if there is a place called "FUMO" which sell authentic Cubans at fair prices. (Note: put all Cuban cigars in a double ZipLoc bag and put them in the freezer for three or four days and then into the fridge for another two or three days and then into your humidor. This is the only way they will not bring beetles into your collections)

I also applaud DavidZ's excellent post about La Romana.

HB

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
I want to know, when you go through customs, is there a fee for bringing cuban cigars in, can you bring them back in what quanity? and what is the limit? I 've always been alarmed about bringing those cigars back to the us, so I never have found this out or bought any for that reason but would at least like too. okay thanks for all you guys help
Biggs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
NO CUBAN CIGARS!
First,most,"so called", Cuban cigars bought in the DR,are made in the DR!
If you do get some "Cubanos',take off the labels,how can customs tell where they were made!
and,when was the last time customs checked your bag??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
gO TO Cuba,I did,the trip costs less than the "Puros"!

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
no need for customs to check

I don't think customs checks bags except on radom occasions, and then if you don't declare and they do, then what? Fines and possible jail time cause your going to try to sneak in a item that must be declared. Cmon man, who goes to dr to get dominican cigars, removing the label just adds to the looking guilty, but thanks again for your response and I will consider it.
Biggs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IF you do your homework, there are some places which do have authentic Cuban cigars. You purchase what you can afford, and you put them in double ZipLoc bags and you freeze them for three days and then you put them in the fridge for another two days and THEN you find a place for them in your humidor.

However, do buy a few dozen or a box of Dominican cigars, which are very good, and the top brands are extremely well made. If you are near Santiago, even I can steer you to a few good cigar places.

Do take the rings off your Cubans and put them in ziploc bags. If anyone even asks say you have a bunch of good cigars, after all you were in the Dominican Republic, and if they want to see them show them off! The Fuentes, the Auroras, and those? Oh they were made for me in Tamboril, good smokes, too!

Generally speaking they don't ask.

HB

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the old cuban men in miami smoke big fat dominican cigars bought by the thousands in the DR and then sent to tampa where they put a wrapper on them. they can be found on the counter in a lot of hardware stores, plumbing shops, bodegas, etc. in south florida, perhaps the old guys in miami know what is a good cigar and i'll trust their judgement. do you want to pay for a fancy box or a good smoke, taste then buy. you'll be surprised and then you can tell your friends back north that they came from Fidels' secret stash.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Enjoying a Torano Exodus 1959 right now...rated a top 5 in Cigar Aficionado ....a hard to find cigar on the market here and well worth looking for. Also enjoy an Aurora BMG Dominicana.

Lesson be learned...spend a little more and buy from a decent shop, such as Mundo Atentico in Bavaro. Serious smokes.

I was too late for the poll, but although I like my Dominicans, the Nicaragua and Honduran cigars are really decent!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have been buying my cigars,Dominican included,on the "Cigars International" web site.
They have 35 million "Sticks" in their huge humidified warehouse.
Obviously,they have a HUGE selection.
I have been leaning toward "Honduran/Nicaraguan" cigars.Some have some Dominican long filler in their blend.I love the Ecuadoran "Dark Maduro Wrapers"
To the point,I pay less buying from "CI International",including shipping to the DR,than I pay here!!!
Plus their selection is beyond belief,and their website is just plain fun to explore!
Cris Colon

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Chris,"WHY?"
Since my last post,I have been buying cigars on internet cigar auction sites.I like "cigarbid.com"(a branch of "Cigarsinternational"),also "famouscigars.com",and finally "thompson cigars.com".Be VERY careful at "Thompson's",they will try VERY hard to get you join a "CigarClub",or "Monthly shipping" service,"DON"T!"

cigarbid.com is by far the cheapers,if you bid right!
I shipped about 500 cigars:smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke: from my sister's house in Lynn,Ma. to my home in SD last week.(by Sea,takes about 3 to 4 weeks,"Door-To-Door")All packed in Spanish cedar lined humidors with humidification packs inside.(ALL bought at auction sites as well!)
Mostly Honduran,Nicaraguan,with Ecuadorian,African,Brazilian,or Sumatran wrappers.
Soooooooooooooooooooo much cheaper than buyijg here,even with the shipping costs!!
So,again Chris,I ask "Why?" you prefer Dominican "sticks"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC