Cigars, Cigars, and More Cigars

Once the Cuban embargo is lifted, what hand made cigars would you buy?

• Total voters

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
please pm me, as I would be very interested in a tour of your factory... mi esposa was the head of the laboratory for Philip Morris in Belgium, and I am at the moment involved in setting up a wine bar with the necessary high quality cigars in Jarabacoa...

I'd like to tour your factory as well...

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Fox and the Grapes

The fact is, Dominican cigars are generally much better made than many of the top Cuban brands.

When the embargo is lifted, the Spanish-French consortium Altadis will own the marketing rights to almost all of the major Cuban brands in the United States. But, so what?

Do you really think that Cuba will turn its back on Spain and France and England, clients for more than 40 years, to sell a few cigars inthe US??

I do not know Cholo but if he has a factory I am sure that he knows what I am saying is right.

Not to worry, the DR cigar business is fine and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future..

HB

Firstly, Hillbilly is 100% on the money. Many people think that the Cuban cigar is best. Most of those are also in an area where they're not available, or hard to get. Yup, the good ol US.
Dominican cigars ARE Cuban seed. The tobacco that is grown in the hills outside STI is filler and binder. Most are using the Cuban unpelitized red seed of pepper consistency.
What makes one cigar better than another is the wrapper they use, this supports the theory of the Dominican being better than the Cuban. The most desired or considered the number 1 in the world comes from Camaroon Africa.
Black in color it only surpasses the second best, and mostly used Connecticut valley wrapper grown in the river valleys of some select small farm towns that border the CT/MA borders and north along the Connecticut river.
Quality cigars for export from both well knowns Fuentes and Davidoff both use this wrapper. Since the embargo Cuba buys its wrapper mostly from Central America countries........thus making the Dominican cigar better.

AndrewDR

Mar 30, 2011
I know I am chiming in a bit late here, but I think I am qualified on the subject. I partnered with a family of rollers in Nicaragua and know the world wide industry very well.

I do not think it will hurt dominican tobacco at all. In fact, when the embargo is finally lifted I expect a small increase in production of Cuban cigars (who cant really make a ton more or they will lose quality) and a large increase to all other country cigars. The reasoning for this is that the rest of the world apart from the US mostly smoke cuban and there has lately been a growing demand for NON cuban cigars in most of the world outside the US.

In the US I do not think there will be a conflict of brand rights. Not just any shop is going to be able to stock them like they can non cuban cigars. Cuban cigars are only sold within licensed cuban dealers. All they have to do is have Cuban houses that sell ONLY cuban cigars and label them all has Cuban Habanos with their original brand names. As someone mentioned already it is very simple to get authentic cuban cigars into the US. To be honest I would not trust a "cuban" cigar from any other seller. For those who just smoke them for the hype like a traveler in the DR, they would not know what the originals are supposed to taste like and their imaginations just take over... I think Cuban cigars are going to be much like the Tickle Me Elmo was in the US. A huge boom/hype when its first released and they will be back ordered for a long time, but eventually the hype will fade. I also think when they tax the hell out of them people will keep buying what they did before hand.

I think the most interesting thing that is going to happen when they are open to the US is the new creations of blends with Cuban and NON cuban tobaccos. I also agree with what someone else had mentioned about a ton of people rushing to cuba to start their own brands/blends but that is all going to depend on Cuba, because as it is the government pretty much owns the cigar industry.

Well, off to bed I go. I got to work in the morning!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Wouldn't it be a matter of personal preference and experience and mostly availability? I started smoking Dominican cigars but after a couple of years, smoking two or three coronas and/or churchills a day I turned to Cubans, and if not available Nicaraguans. Now when I am back in Belgium I order Cubans on-line (www.CigarsOfHabanos.com) and take a 100 or 150 with me to my place in the DR.
My experience among friends is that the experienced smoker prefers Cubans to Dominicans.
I don't know where those who posted here are from but I can imagine tha few Americans really know Cuban cigars, would that be a reason they prefer Dominicans?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am interested in which brands you like from Cuba. I do enjoy almost all of the cigars made around the world, some more than others. I love Nicaraguan, some Honduran and a lot of Dominican cigars. Cubans, mostly. Each has a unique taste, aroma and bouquet, which to my mind makes each cigar a different pleasure.

Cordially,

HB

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Wouldn't it be a matter of personal preference and experience and mostly availability? I started smoking Dominican cigars but after a couple of years, smoking two or three coronas and/or churchills a day I turned to Cubans, and if not available Nicaraguans. Now when I am back in Belgium I order Cubans on-line (www.CigarsOfHabanos.com) and take a 100 or 150 with me to my place in the DR.
My experience among friends is that the experienced smoker prefers Cubans to Dominicans.
I don't know where those who posted here are from but I can imagine tha few Americans really know Cuban cigars, would that be a reason they prefer Dominicans?

Cigarsofhabanos also ships to the US (through Manilla). Most Americans who smoke cigars often have had their share of Cubans and are not unfamiliar with them. Speaking for myself, the Dominican cigars tend to be milder, yet still very aromatic and the sticks are just as well made. The same reason most Americans tend not to like Turkish cigarettes. I do have a few Cuban favorites (Trinidad, Vegas Robaino, Cohiba Esplendido and Lancero. I do not smoke these often. My favorite Dominican, Honduran and Nicaraguan cigars I consider "every day" smokes. I am currently fondling a La Aurora which I brought back from my last trip and fully intend to bond with at happy hour this evening.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I like the Hoyo de Monterrey, Partag?s, Allones, Monte Cristo, sometimes Upmann and Saint Luis rey.
The last one is tricky, they are or very good or with terrible knots.
The only time I smoke Cohiba's 6 is when I am with my brother, he buys them I smoke them, to expensive for what they offer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Nice taste. I enjoy Partagas Series D, R&J any size, and usually, I like coronas (42 x 5 or thereabouts)

I enjoy that Aurora #4...excellent cigar.

HB

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Yes HB that series D is very good indeed.
What I find about the Auroras is that they are a bit "dusty, dry, very loose-rolled,", do you understand what I mean?
The #4 I do not have present at the moment, but it's more generally spoken.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Most Americans who smoke cigars often have had their share of Cubans and are not unfamiliar with them. Speaking for myself, the Dominican cigars tend to be milder, yet still very aromatic and the sticks are just as well made.
Sorry, I didn't want to offend nobody. What you say is I think the most important difference between the two... the DR cigars are milder, some smokers like the stronger "taste"of the Cubans after a while.
On the other hand a lot of them stay with some excellent Dominicans.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Sorry, I didn't want to offend nobody. What you say is I think the most important difference between the two... the DR cigars are milder, some smokers like the stronger "taste"of the Cubans after a while.
On the other hand a lot of them stay with some excellent Dominicans.

Yes. The longer I smoke the more I appreciate full flavor. Today's stick is an Aurora Robusto (5x50). As far as the rolling goes these are pretty good. I had one of these at poolside the other day and didn't ash it on purpose. The ash burned 3.5", white and straight with a good even burn and draw and the flavor didn't vary much throughout the smoke. That's some pretty good construction for an inexpensive (single<$6) cigar. Good with rum, too but made for vino tinto.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
At this moment I am in Belgium (Antwerp)...horrible thing is going to happen, july 1st. You no longer can smoke at any bar anymore. They banned it in all the larger restaurants a year or something ago. We have some places were they take the risk, the owners, mostly dutch, just charge an ashtray and you can smoke the cigars you like.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I am interested in which brands you like from Cuba. I do enjoy almost all of the cigars made around the world, some more than others. I love Nicaraguan, some Honduran and a lot of Dominican cigars. Cubans, mostly. Each has a unique taste, aroma and bouquet, which to my mind makes each cigar a different pleasure.

Cordially,

HB

And let's not forget the Partagas Culebras Cigars - Cuban Cigars Reviews we smoked on my last visit :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, but only smoked with friends!! and good Port...Something special no doubt. I still have the box!

HB

Miko

May 23, 2003
where is best spot to buy cigars in Cabarete? there are so many fakes around, have a friend who asked me to bring him back Leon Jimenez corona or robusto

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
If it's just Leon J. than goto Playero in Sosua or possibly Janet's in Cabarete (both grocery stores), and get them in 5, 10 or 25 in a box and you'll save a lot of money. For a little more variety and levels of quality there is a small cigar shop on Pedro C., across from Merengues, Classicos, same block as Britianica Restaurant & Bar. Good luck!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I think it is only the US so for everyone else the 'when the embargo is lifted' is a bit irrelevant. Please to remember that the US is not the world :cheeky:.
60% of Cuban cigars go to Spain, perfectly legally, & there is an outfit in Malaga which 'packages discreetly' ;) & sends on to US.

Even US citizens can get a licence to visit Cuba & return with Cuban cigars I believe. People such as 'Politicians, Cuban Americans, Journalists, Legitimate researchers, Athletes & Religious groups' according to this
Cuban Cigars in the United States & Legal Information

Don't you just love that list? :)

there are special visas / travel permits for U.S. citizens to go to Cuba... but I'd be surprised if they were allowed (legally) to bring cigars back. but hey... I get surprised all the time. LOL

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
sorry kidz... I didn't check the date stamp. I was replying to a post that was like 3 years old or something. LOL :-(

A while back I came across a gallery showing examples of fake/counterfeit cigar bands comparing them to the real thing... pretty cool actually. The real deals are often like little pieces of art.