City Market In Sosua ...Strong Buy !

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
And they dont treat everyone like a potential shoplifter!! You can walk in with a bag and not have to check it in at the counter which is what i hate at both Playero's and Janet's (especially as i often have my laptop with me)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
And they dont treat everyone like a potential shoplifter!! You can walk in with a bag and not have to check it in at the counter which is what i hate at both Playero's and Janet's (especially as i often have my laptop with me)
This is recent and only because there was shoplifting by expats and other non-Dominicans. This is not to say it was only foreign, however.

I am good friends with the owners, so they told me about an expat and his wife, regular, long time shoppers at Playero, who were caught putting stuff in the knapsacks they always brought into the store. The owners were really shocked by this, they considered these people good customers and never suspected they were stealing from the store. Probably this had been going on for several years. They were also shocked to think that expats would be stealing from the store.

That incident prompted them to require bags be left at the door, but a short time later they went back to the old policy of letting your carry bags into the store.

But recently others were found shoplifting and thus the present ban on bags. This is not something the owners want to do, but no supermarket has a big markup and can afford to be giving the merchandise away.

If City Market allows bags to be brought into the store, it is only because they have not yet caught shoplifters filling their bags from the store.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
If this shoplifting is indeed true, it is really appalling, I mean really appaling.

I mean you have to be really down and out to go hungry here, and really a "plate of flag" really is not that bad, most expats even like it, me no, I prefer all North American and all of it worldly derivitives.

These owners should have at the least banded these peraptrators, #1
Make them known publicly, #2
At least called the police and had them hauled outside, #3

I understand thievery for ones own nourishemnt, and that of a child/children, of course as a lat resort, you know.

But, really appaling, expat scumbums!!!

oh and really, is there anyexpat that has ever visited a domincan home and NOT been offer food, and the person offering has never ever seen you or known anything of you before you stepped into thier abode?

I mean I am not suggesting, but you know a cleaver expat could easily wonder into a new nieghborhood each day and find someone willing to invite them in for a bite.....would of course need to speak the most basic of spanish or maybe not!

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Kind of harsh ,no?
Do you know their circumstances ?
Who knows ,maybe a thief stole the creditcards ? hmmm
But NO EXCUSE
Hang them in the middle of town square!
Manu

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Actually, at my store , we catch a shoplifter ,they have a choice between the cops being called or they pay what they stole plus restitution and no police record. Restitution min 250$
works everytime ... sign here and please tell your friends!
Its also posted at the front door
manu

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Actually, at my store , we catch a shoplifter ,they have a choice between the cops being called or they pay what they stole plus restitution and no police record. Restitution min 250$
works everytime ... sign here and please tell your friends!
Its also posted at the front door
manu

Where is "your store"?

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I shop at City Market all the time and although I find it the cleanest store with the friendliest staff, I have noticed that their prices are constantly going up, some dramatically. I used to buy the excellent croissants almost every morning. They were priced at 24 pesos, both the regular and the chocolate. Then they suddenly jumped up to 39 pesos, over a 60% increase in price. Out of principle I no longer buy them. If they can do that with one item then what is stopping doing that with other items? The same goes for the fresh bag of Chinolas, (Passion fruit)..they were around 50 pesos or so and are now 159 pesos, (OK, I know fruit prices vary due to season but still).
I know that they have regular specials on which are excellent and their meats are some of the best in town but if I were you I would keep an eye on the prices. Gas prices have gone up, meaning produce will go up, but not 60%!

Last edited:

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
City Market will re-open from tomorrow under a different name. No farmacia, no electronics, just food & drinks. I have been working there for the last few days installing & adjusting alarm and video surveilance system. The shelves are getting full. I did not see anything special there, but want to wish good luck to the new owners!

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
City market started off great then they started putting prices on items and when you got to the checkout they were alot more. This happened to us quite a few times so we stopped going aswell as there was nothing on the shelves. this started happening after she bought out the English guys. This happened to alot of people we know not just us. if she can sort that out it may be worth going back. At least Playero rip ypu off up front.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not to worry because City Market is gone. Reportedly some Russians purchased the building.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
"She" is who? I know the current owner is Max. May be he yet another new owner? I agree, there was nothing on the shelves several months ago - that is when I stopped going there as well. Have no interest in this new market. Just stating the news.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
"She" is who? I know the current owner is Max. May be he yet another new owner? I agree, there was nothing on the shelves several months ago - that is when I stopped going there as well. Have no interest in this new market. Just stating the news.

"She" is former owner.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
If this shoplifting is indeed true, it is really appalling, I mean really appaling.

At my supermarket, they have cameras everywhere. Once the thief is caught, they put up their picture in the store.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Once the thief is caught, they put up their picture in the store.

When you quote a previous poster, try not to alter the [ ]'s on either side of the post, that way we can see who you are quoting miamor!

Senior folks are known to steal from time to time... Remember this one:
[video=youtube;Vm2SuAPuA38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm2SuAPuA38&feature=relmfu[/video]

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua

At my supermarket, they have cameras everywhere. Once the thief is caught, they put up their picture in the store.

There are plenty of cameras there now with live recording.

Yes, Max is a Russian guy. Hope he knows what he is doing.

Actually, it is not ready for opening tomorrow. Some more work needs to be done before they open the doors. May be a day or two. Sorry for false alert.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
The chicken, roasted pork, beef and sausages at the Playero have gone up in price this year by at least 75%. WTF.

That's it, I'm gonna stop eating meat, drinking, fornicating, and writing bad checks. Then I can afford to live here.