Conan O'Brien's visit to Haiti

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Didn't anybody notice the mountains in the background of the photo with Conan in the water? They've been stripped bare! Haiti is a ****hole country and everyone knows it. It's a failed state. Poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.

I knew this is exactly what Conan would do. Go there and show what nice people the Haitians are - and they are nice, but that doesn't change the fact that they live in a ****hole country!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Haiti is the ultimate s***hole that all are compared to. Next time your in the USA or Canada drive through a reserve. I think they are trying to compete with the Haitians for how bad can we make it before they throw us a few more billion.
Until responsibly becomes the key factor it's never going to improve.

Good god man, I work on a reserve here....jeez. I'm out of here.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Is it a corrupt government that is throwing all that **** in the water and on the streets. I have been in a few ****holes, Egypt, Somalia, Djibouti, parts of Colombia and Honduras, the Philippines, India and Pakistan, where trash is everywhere. No where have I seen it worse than Haiti.

Where did you visit in Haiti to see this? I know you would not base this on videos you have seen.

I was in the countryside and not in the cities. I found it to be poor but full of hard working, honest people. I am not trying to paint a pretty picture. They need help...they are just too deep into poverty to climb out on their own. They need help to get out from under their government, they need help to get out from under the religious missions and such. Solution...it is certainly not to leave them to their own devices.....I do not know what it is but to slam every person living there......nevermind.

I can see I am fighting an uphill battle here....people have made up their minds.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
This narrative is hilarious, here is a country that has a large foreign diaspora, shares a border with a defective but quite successful and progressive ( in some ways ) country and is a 1.5 hour flight from Miami but yet remains eternally a ^&* hole.

How can anybody deny it ? I have been there and there are nice people and beautiful areas but it is so poor that people digest their own feces and make mud pies. It is literally a &*( hole.
The self righteous celebrity uproar is as always laughable. Anybody else notice that 20 people watched the Grammys last night ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How much time, effort, and money have you personally contributed to helping the Haitians here in the DR. It's nice to sit back and criticise and tell everyone to give more.
It's another thing to get off your butt and help out for a few years and see your efforts are a waste of time as these people have a sense of entitlement that puts Paris Hilton to shame.
But your point of "screw them and let them rot" has some validity to it.

a sense of entitlement? Haitians? really?

do you, by any chance, live in the DR? how about Haiti? if not, have you spent sufficient time there to understand the people?

can you elucidate this sense of entitlement thing for the benefit of those of us who might be bemused by that observation?

Haitian entitlement. now i think i have heard it all.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Where did you visit in Haiti to see this? I know you would not base this on videos you have seen.

I was in the countryside and not in the cities. I found it to be poor but full of hard working, honest people. I am not trying to paint a pretty picture. They need help...they are just too deep into poverty to climb out on their own. They need help to get out from under their government, they need help to get out from under the religious missions and such. Solution...it is certainly not to leave them to their own devices.....I do not know what it is but to slam every person living there......nevermind.

I can see I am fighting an uphill battle here....people have made up their minds.

why do you bother? can you not see that it is a lost cause? when people assert that Haitians have a sense of entitlement, that is your cue to bow out.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
this is an excerpt from an article by Amy Wilentz, of the Nation magazine

A state doesn’t fail because of some innate inferiority in its people. I make this obvious point only because people who don’t know Haiti often try, as subtly as they know how, to claim this is the case. They’re wrong: a state fails because of its history.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
This is also part of why Haiti Fail, the news says a group of Haitians since 2016 paid for Haitian passports up to 110.00 US and they never get it and in some cases they have to pay again and are asking to Haitian goverment for an investigation where goes their money, for this reason they can not complete their papers to complete their files in the regularization plan in Dominican Republic.

At least this time are not blaming on Dominicans their problems. https://www.listindiario.com/la-rep...racia-denuncia-ser-estafados-por-su-consulado

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is also part of why Haiti Fail, the news says a group of Haitians since 2016 paid for Haitian passports up to 110.00 US and they never get it and in some cases they have to pay again and are asking to Haitian goverment for an investigation where goes their money, for this reason they can not complete their papers to complete their files in the regularization plan in Dominican Republic.

At least this time are not blaming on Dominicans their problems. https://www.listindiario.com/la-rep...racia-denuncia-ser-estafados-por-su-consulado

the failure of Haiti cannot be traced to something which happened two years ago. Haiti has been made to fail since the end of the revolution, in 1804. there is a heck of a lot of blame to go around, but passports certainly are not a part of the issue.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

First slavery under the French followed by 200 years of repression by their own people.
They can't get up on their own, they need intervention otherwise that country is going nowhere. :ermm:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The road back from failed statehood for Haiti is long and currently blocked by monumental political and social landslides of epic proportions.

No one in their right mind apart from despots who have no compunction pillaging even more from a country and its people are even interested in holding political office. The shear magnitude and time frame required to address all that ails Haiti is Herculean.

Resetting Haiti requires:

A motivated and willing ruling class
A motivated and willing general population
A robust plan of action set in stone spanning the next 20 to 30 years.
Money

Haiti has no more riches that are of interest to foreign countries, just piles of problems and debt. Few companies are even interested in operating there apart from a few who see potential profit from patchwork infrastructure service contracts that even the despots can't deny being required just to keep their pockets from emptying completely. There is insufficient political will and insufficient public determination to see any sort of sustained effort over the time period required. With an economy that barely meets the minimum requirements of such, there is no way to capitalize all that needs to be done to turn that state around from within even if the will and expertise were in place.

From a purely humanitarian point of view, Haiti needs to be taken over, the current govt shut down and all of the functionaries dismissed. An appointed administrative entity will replace the democratic govt for at least a generation. An external coalition of nations would then need to completely fund the rebuilding of the country to the point that there is a functioning and expanding economy, life sustaining infrastructure is robust and reliable, and every citizen is given a job to establish pride in their circumstances and a real stake in their country again. There needs to be an army of people replanting hundreds of millions of trees and those who can do nothing else, can at least be put to work doing this.

There is no foreign interest in long term direct intervention of the magnitude required to save Haiti from itself and the Haitians do not have the where-with-all to do this themselves. There is no hope for Haiti as it exists today, just more corruption, squalor and the ongoing depletion of what little resources and opportunity remain today, by those who see themselves entitled to take it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I have been in Jacmel and Port au Prince, and the road between.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The road back from failed statehood for Haiti is long and currently blocked by monumental political and social landslides of epic proportions.

No one in their right mind apart from despots who have no compunction pillaging even more from a country and its people are even interested in holding political office. The shear magnitude and time frame required to address all that ails Haiti is Herculean.

Resetting Haiti requires:

A motivated and willing ruling class
A motivated and willing general population
A robust plan of action set in stone spanning the next 20 to 30 years.
Money

Haiti has no more riches that are of interest to foreign countries, just piles of problems and debt. Few companies are even interested in operating there apart from a few who see potential profit from patchwork infrastructure service contracts that even the despots can't deny being required just to keep their pockets from emptying completely. There is insufficient political will and insufficient public determination to see any sort of sustained effort over the time period required. With an economy that barely meets the minimum requirements of such, there is no way to capitalize all that needs to be done to turn that state around from within even if the will and expertise were in place.

From a purely humanitarian point of view, Haiti needs to be taken over, the current govt shut down and all of the functionaries dismissed. An appointed administrative entity will replace the democratic govt for at least a generation. An external coalition of nations would then need to completely fund the rebuilding of the country to the point that there is a functioning and expanding economy, life sustaining infrastructure is robust and reliable, and every citizen is given a job to establish pride in their circumstances and a real stake in their country again. There needs to be an army of people replanting hundreds of millions of trees and those who can do nothing else, can at least be put to work doing this.

There is no foreign interest in long term direct intervention of the magnitude required to save Haiti from itself and the Haitians do not have the where-with-all to do this themselves. There is no hope for Haiti as it exists today, just more corruption, squalor and the ongoing depletion of what little resources and opportunity remain today, by those who see themselves entitled to take it.

an appointed administrative entity?

appointed by whom?

and exactly who is going to decide on the development parameters?

foreigners?

do you not think that a vast portion of the problems in Haiti have been occasioned by foreigners?

does anybody here who blames the Haitians for the disaster they find themselves in understand that in 1805 France demanded that the Haitian government pay them a compensation package of 20 billion dollars, in today's money? in order to come up with that money, Haiti had top borrow it from whom? ahh..you guessed it...French banks....with onerous interest payments. the last payment was made in 1947!

as i said, there is enough blame to go around.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
I enjoy his videos in other countries.  I wish I had the money and security to travel to the countries he visits.  I realize in all the videos he has an agenda.  

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Forget the blame game. Want to begin solving the problem or just fart around for another 25 years watching the problems grow in scope to the point that no amount of money or intervention can pull the rabbit out of the hat?

I'd be prepared to let any interested country(s) with a genuine interest in reversing the slide into despair and anarchy take control of Haiti for as long as it takes. Maybe the UN could take this on as a worthy singular cause rather than continuing to falter and tarnish its credibility by administering failed military interventions around the world.

I don't have the answers, but I am smart enough to realize that more of the same is deterimental and Haiti is incapable of helping itself.