Confirmed- People being denied entry for overstaying tourist visa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
No sarcasm intended. The clients were English speaking canadians. This happened earlier this week. Today on another form I saw the post from the French Embassy. When I asked a friend at the airport he said that mostly their looking for people that have long stays, followed by a short trip and then another entry. In other words, people who live here without residency. But there is no way to know who they will apply the law to as according to the law anyone who violates immigration law (even by overstaying) is subject to deportation or being denied entry. As we all know this may be something that lasts a month or it may be something thats around for good. At this point it seems to be very random.

If you listen to Spanish news programs on the radio every day all they are talking about is the problem of immigration especially in Punta Cana and the the 80% 20% law. I've heard they are going to start cracking down on businesses as well to make sure they are complying with this law especially in the hotel/construction industry.

Could you let me know which radio stations you are listening to hear in RD? I have some free time on my hands, and would like to listen to these programs as well. I am fluent in Spanish, so there should not be any confusion due to a possible language barrier.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
Could you let me know which radio stations you are listening to hear in RD? I have some free time on my hands, and would like to listen to these programs as well. I am fluent in Spanish, so there should not be any confusion due to a possible language barrier.

If you're in the east coast 101.1 mostly in the morning between 7-9am

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the fastest growing thread in the history of DR1

BREAKING NEWS !!!!

this will be a good one

we now know that is old news to people at the airports...
strongly disavowed here - but well known to airport workers.

Start sniffing the air.... something's coming

jjp put it succinctly

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I translated the link you provided in your first post, as French is not one of my languages, and it is the same information that has existed for a very long time, that everybody is privy to. There is no new information provided, nor are there any details of a specific incident which has recently occurred.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
80-20 law requires that all companies hire 80% of their workforce dominican and only 20% can be foreign. This is a big problem in the informal sector like agriculture and construction. They have threatened to start putting fines on companys who violate this law.

The hotel industry in Punta Cana fired back and said they have the strictest requirments for formal jobs (inside the hotels) the issue is with construction. The construction industry has commented that if this is enforced there will not be enough construction workers to supply the industry.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks - a worker mix thing

not a migration issue directly.

No. This is not directly a migration issue. However it does go hand in hand. If you read local news the biggest issue in the public is immigration. Same claims as the US with immigrants taking jobs etc. It all goes hand in hand.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I translated the link you provided in your first post, as French is not one of my languages, and it is the same information that has existed for a very long time, that everybody is privy to. There is no new information provided, nor are there any details of a specific incident which has recently occurred.

I posted the other day the new report about deportations and refusals of entry.

No there are no specific details but there numbers of 'rejections' for a variety of reasons (we assume)
but none were cited specifically...

like overstay problems.

this is the 1st we've heard ..
and may be the last ---- or not

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's excellent reporting...
you need not like the news ... but you need to be aware

Don't shoot the messenger

Personally, I'm happy to rid some of the never ending speculation with some proof...
makes my old brain struggle less....

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
https://www.listindiario.com/la-rep...cto-ley-penalizaria-alquilar-casas-a-ilegales More proof that they're cracking down on illegals on multiple fronts.

Time to wake up and get your cedula.

People visiting for 6 months or less cannot get a cedula as per the Dominican Law. You must reside in the DR for more than 6 months of the year to granted. Therefore, the snowbirds must get a visa extention. The illegals living here full time.....you are right...get your cedula and residency pronto.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The construction industry has commented that if this is enforced there will not be enough construction workers to supply the industry.
But raise the wages of Dominican labor with the corresponding construction cost increase.

That's the point of the 80/20 law.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014

I don't read it that way. The French Govt wouldn't be commenting on Canadians denied entry in the DR. Interestingly though, the French advisory to travelers doesn't say, "stay more than 30 days and pay a fine." It clearly tells French travelers not to stay longer than 30 days without a visa to do so. This is a departure from traveler advice advising of the fines after 30 days on other Official websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.