Confirmed- People being denied entry for overstaying tourist visa

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
But raise the wages of Dominican labor with the corresponding construction cost increase.

That's the point of the 80/20 law.

That's what they don't WANT to do. There won't be enough labor workers because no one wants to work for the wages they're offering.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
People visiting for 6 months or less cannot get a cedula as per the Dominican Law. You must reside in the DR for more than 6 months of the year to granted. Therefore, the snowbirds must get a visa extention. The illegals living here full time.....you are right...get your cedula and residency pronto.

And from where do you get the impression that snowbirds are permitted to come to this country for periods exceeding 30 days?

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
I don't read it that way. The French Govt wouldn't be commenting on Canadians denied entry in the DR. Interestingly though, the French advisory to travelers doesn't say, "stay more than 30 days and pay a fine." It clearly tells French travelers not to stay longer than 30 days without a visa to do so. This is a departure from traveler advice advising of the fines after 30 days on other Official websites.

Exactly. The canadian couple who was deported has nothing to do with the advisory on the French embassy website. I was just posting it as It was just issued and furthur proves that there is something afoot. To anyone who doesn't want to heed the warning no problem. If you're legal perfect. If not, be careful. That is all.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sure. I'm the director of a transportation company in Punta Cana. Puerto Rican born to Dominican Parents. These clients rent a house in Cocotal every year for march and april, and then go back home to Canada. We have the contract for quite a few villas and these clients we've transported every year for the past 4 years.

When I'm not in DR1 you can find me either terminal A or B in PUJ Airport. :classic:

So these clients come every year and rent a house for two months, pay the overstay fee and return to their own country.  What part of immigration law have they violated?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So these clients come every year and rent a house for two months, pay the overstay fee and return to their own country.  What part of immigration law have they violated?

i guess it would be the overstay part. the mere fact they paid a fine means they were in violation of something..

beeza, i don't think it is an overstay fee. i think it is a fine,,,

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I don't read it that way. The French Govt wouldn't be commenting on Canadians denied entry in the DR. Interestingly though, the French advisory to travelers doesn't say, "stay more than 30 days and pay a fine." It clearly tells French travelers not to stay longer than 30 days without a visa to do so. This is a departure from traveler advice advising of the fines after 30 days on other Official websites.

The floor was yielded at 01:32 PM (Post #34).

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017

Overstaying their 30 day touristic card. It's not an extension fee. It's a fine for violating the immigration law. If you'd like, I can post the link to the law as well.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
How do I get my exwife on the list of people not allowed to enter?!? She overstayed for years. Her Novio will be soo upset.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Exactly. The canadian couple who was deported has nothing to do with the advisory on the French embassy website. I was just posting it as It was just issued and furthur proves that there is something afoot. To anyone who doesn't want to heed the warning no problem. If you're legal perfect. If not, be careful. That is all.

Was the Canadian couple deported or denied entry to the RD? These are two different circumstances.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thou shall not remain in the country longer than the term defined by your visa without obtaining an extension.

Since extensions cannot be had, the time specified on the tourist card, student visa, business visa is the max period of time you may remain in the DR before you have to exit. Overstay your visa, and you become an illegal alien. I thought we had already cleared up this misconception of the exit fees somehow bestowing legitimacy to the act of being in the country without permission.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017

If you violate traffic law you get a speeding ticket (Fine). You still comitted the violation. If you continue to speed and get multiple speeding tickets you can get your license suspended or in this case entry denied.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I wonder how many real estate people are reading this?  This could be a deal breaker for many foreign investors.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those who routinely pay for their overstay call it a fee. Those who make the link between overstaying and being compelled to pay before being allowed to leave call it a fine.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Those who pay for their overstay call it a fee. Those who make the link between overstaying and being compelled to pay before being allowed to leave call it a fine.
Depends on the level of denial...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was never sure if it was a fee or a fine.  They are very different things.

i think so, too.

what i think happened is this. the DR came under intense international fire about 3 years ago, because of the issue with the plans to deport a segment of the Haitian population whom they considered to be illegals, even if they were born here. some very uncharitable things were said in all quarters, and DR was made to look like the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. so, the DR embarked upon a regularization initiative, to give not just Haitians, but all foreigners who were in the country illegally, the opportunity to get themselves regularized. numerous Haitians, and foreigners from many other nations, took advantage of the program, and they are handing out the first of the cedulas, as we speak.

so, the DR probably figures that now that it has bent over backwards to show a sense of leniency and fairness, no more pussyfooting with the immigration thing..it means business now.

get them documents, boys and girls.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's really gonna screw up the Canadian snow bird demographic.  A group of wealthy property investors who have ploughed millions of Canadian dollars into this country.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Why has the Canadian embassy website not posted anything in regards? Not trolling, just asking what seems like should be an obvious question. I do not have a pony in this race, but I do abhor seeing people strung along. With that, I yield the floor once again. May all have a productive day.

Status
Not open for further replies.