Cracking Down On Prostitution In Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken you are almost always spot on, but saying there were not many prositutes in Sosua in the late 80s early 90s is a stretch. I have been going to Sosua since very early in the 90s and the action was all on the Charamico side of town, Your right Batey was quiet back then. I remember the main hwy by Caribe tours packed with women all over Charamicos back then.

You are right. I tend to think of El Batey as Sosua and Charamicos as a separate town.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
already covered this in a previous post,

but just to reiterate, the DR population had doubled since 1980's. This fact alone puts many more people on the streets.

I would suggest that in fact things are not 'worse' than before, just the fact that there are more people alive presents a situation which may seem worse. Sosua hasn't changed in size, but the number of girls has.

Dave

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
It really makes me laugh how all these Gringos and expats and all the foreigners come to the Dominican republic and buy their little condo and suddenly think they have more rights and freedoms then the Dominican people themselves.FYI people, this is their country and land and you are and always will be just a guest.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ken you are almost always spot on, but saying there were not many prositutes in Sosua in the late 80s early 90s is a stretch. I have been going to Sosua since very early in the 90s and the action was all on the Charamico side of town, Your right Batey was quiet back then. I remember the main hwy by Caribe tours packed with women all over Charamicos back then.
In the late 80's Sosua was sleepy and Charimicos was where the "action" was, many local hot, sweaty discos. It was safe to go there at night.

Obi west

Jan 8, 2012
The prostitutes themselves for not having an alternative to make a living with given opportunity.There are many reasons and factors that drive people to become prostitutes, none of which involve having wanted to for the pleasure of it.There's no pleasure for the workers involved in prostitution, only the monetary gain, if much.
In the end nobody is talking about the chicas! How unfortunate.Too bad people cannot simply accept that men will pay for sex and women will provide it. It’s simply a physical act......making any form of sex between consenting adults illegal is unnecessary and victimizes the women and the men for no good reason... are they going to pass a law that sex with anyone not, say, within 4 years of their respective ages is illegal? Or a man can't buy dinner for a girl of more than say $25.00? Or that buying 3 drinks is okay but not 5! Going to a bar to meet the opposite sex and then to have sex is illegal...? Or parties can't have sex on a first date...!
Frankly I fail to see how sex for money is morally offensive, except in some antiquated, every animal in the world lived within walking distance of Noah, everything was made in 7 days, don't eat pork, but it is ok to beat your children and stone your women, sort of antiquated shepherd herding sort of morality.

The problem is, the same people who advance the rights of women seem to propagate that women cannot self choose how they want to use their bodies. And a women’s choice it is. Think of the old joke... in a North American bar ...” no man but every woman knows in advance if they will have sex later that night if they want it “... and in Sosua...”no women but every man knows if they will have sex later that night...”.

Frankly it makes no rational sense to govern by a criminal law with whom others can have consensual sex, and what kind, or when, or at what cost (leaving violence, rape and children issues obvious not included)?

Would all women want to provide sex for money.... no...? But some would, because it is easier and way more profitable.... Read for example Freakonomics on that chapter of prostitution... and Oscar Wild and the sex for a million dollars question ( we are just negotiating price) .

I know plenty of North American women who would provide sex for money... and should because it is their best skill: Adam Smith on Comparative Advantage for those women who are better at it.......

We consider paid for sex bad because ....its politically incorrect to actually say what majority of men think...their sexual urges are not being met by the women in their lives and men either live in a life of sexual frustration, or live in love with their right hand.... or have affairs and ruin marriages... or go to places like Sosua which have a tolerance...

Come to think of it , by and large all women have sex for money.. it is just paid differently and some women because of marriage can create a dictatorship of it... which of course leads to men seeking out women who will barter more generously for it

Too bad ....this will simply make sex in Sosua a gamble and the police will profit considerably... and those who buy up businesses in Sosua at bankruptcy prices.... for a while... when the local businesses are bought up at fire sale prices the crack down will stop... and what do you think will happen.... ?

In Sosua... yes I think that in that small village the economic effect will be disasterous to the economy... at least in the short run....you really think that the Pedro Clisante businesses will not collapse...?
But the chicas... well "let them eat cake" I say...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It really makes me laugh how all these Gringos and expats and all the foreigners come to the Dominican republic and buy their little condo and suddenly think they have more rights and freedoms then the Dominican people themselves.FYI people, this is their country and land and you are and always will be just a guest.

The Dominican people who live in Sosua expressed themselves very clearly when they threw out the former mayor and elected the present mayor.

She did not win because she was PRD. The PLD won most of the offices at all levels in the country. She won because she represented something different, something they liked better than the direction Sosua was going under the previous mayor.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
The Dominican people who live in Sosua expressed themselves very clearly when they threw out the former mayor and elected the present mayor.

She did not win because she was PRD. The PLD won most of the offices at all levels in the country. She won because she represented something different, something they liked better than the direction Sosua was going under the previous mayor.

There has been a lot of numbers in this thread and anybody that has been to Sosua day and night time know they are wrong (except Seamonkeys).... so here some more numbers to discuss.

I say at least 60-70 % of the tourists visiting Sosua (outside the All Inclusives) come for the girls. Just go to the beach daytime where it should be a mixed crowd, no? Night time at bars, I say 95 % is John's and Putas.

Motoconchos... I think 50 % of their total income come from girls or mongers.

So what will happen? These people need to eat, they have babies to feed. There are no other jobs for them.

Crime will go up significantly, just look what happens in DR tourist areas during low seasons. Now it will be a low, low, low season 12 months a year in Sosua. And no, Sosua has it's reputation, families will not start to come anytime soon, if ever. And yeah, more crime does not help.

I am very glad I don't live in Sosua and if I did I would be very scared if they start arresting people the way described in this thread, because Sosua will turn into a ghost town with a lot of desperate people.

And when it comes to victims. There are for sure girls that need to feed there babies because their tiguere is gone, and it is sad, sad. BUT, if you ask any normal working/studying dominican girl, they all say it is a choice. They have absolutely NO sympathy for the girls making the easy money. I think the truth lays in between.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There has been a lot of numbers in this thread and anybody that has been to Sosua day and night time know they are wrong (except Seamonkeys).... so here some more numbers to discuss.

I say at least 60-70 % of the tourists visiting Sosua (outside the All Inclusives) come for the girls. Just go to the beach daytime where it should be a mixed crowd, no? Night time at bars, I say 95 % is John's and Putas.

Motoconchos... I think 50 % of their total income come from girls or mongers.

So what will happen? These people need to eat, they have babies to feed. There are no other jobs for them.

Crime will go up significantly, just look what happens in DR tourist areas during low seasons. Now it will be a low, low, low season 12 months a year in Sosua. And no, Sosua has it's reputation, families will not start to come anytime soon, if ever. And yeah, more crime does not help.

I am very glad I don't live in Sosua and if I did I would be very scared if they start arresting people the way described in this thread, because Sosua will turn into a ghost town with a lot of desperate people.

And when it comes to victims. There are for sure girls that need to feed there babies because their tiguere is gone, and it is sad, sad. BUT, if you ask any normal working/studying dominican girl, they all say it is a choice. They have absolutely NO sympathy for the girls making the easy money. I think the truth lays in between.

Dominicans are who are making the decisions about Sosua. The Mayor, the Director of North Coast Tourism, the Ministry of Tourism, the President. This is their country and they are the ones who should make the decisions.

I happen to agree with them, but neither I or others on DR1 have any influence on the process. And that is how it should be.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Dominicans are who are making the decisions about Sosua. The Mayor, the Director of North Coast Tourism, the Ministry of Tourism, the President. This is their country and they are the ones who should make the decisions.

I happen to agree with them, but neither I or others on DR1 have any influence on the process. And that is how it should be.

Of course, has anybody said anything else? But I guess we are allowed to have our opinions and point of views. After all it is a message forum.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Of course, has anybody said anything else? But I guess we are allowed to have our opinions and point of views. After all it is a message forum.

Sure you can have an opinion and point of view.

I guess I was still reacting to the post of rsg who seems to believe that the people who invest in a house and condo, and who would like to see Sosua somewhat different than at present, are meddling in matters that are the purview of the Dominicans.

But since I am responding to you, let me make clear that I don't believe that all the prostitutes will be banished permanently from Sosua. There were prostitutes here before the invasion and there will be prostitutes in the future. But hopefully no longer a large percentage of the prostitutes from Santo Domingo, Santiago, Haiti, etc.

Maybe what is needed is to allow only local prostitutes to work in Sosua. If giving income to prostitutes so they can feed their children is to be the justification, it can't be expected that Sosua will provide opportunities for prostitutes from out of town. Sosua can't save all the prostitutes of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.