Current Taxi Rates from POP Airport

A

apostropheman

Rocky said:
It's always easier to negotiate the return trip, than right at the airport.
true. in april the posted/sheet rate was 1900. i also paid that late january although with the ever increasing price of gas it doesn't surprise me the rate has increased. as long as it's not a complete surprise it's cool as long as it's fair.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The airport taxi rates posted are for 4 or less passengers. It may be a tight fit for 4 people with a lot of luggage in a standard car. Some of the taxis are vans which are permitted to charge an additional 50% for more than 4 passengers. Many times the vans will transport 4 or less passengers for the standard rate. Just be sure to confirm the rate before you get into the vehicle.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
FireGuy said:
Is it possible to just take a photo of the sign(s) and then post them.
Here's some pics of the signs. Sorry, some of the pics are fuzzy, (like the photographer).

11jngb6.jpg

11jnio8.jpg

11jnj44.jpg

11jnjib.jpg

11jnmko.jpg

11jnomw.jpg

11jnp09.jpg

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
if you live in costambar and use their taxi service you can give them $25.00 and they will assume you live there and know them and they will take it. tip not included.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Rocio and JJ

Thought I would post this here also.
There is no way to express how helpful Rocio and JJ are. Together they completely care for you. Hillbilly arranged for my wife and me to have JJ for a week in June. He began as a driver and he and Rocio are now friends. JJ knows about everything and his english is almost perfect (Rocio's is perfect). He showed us parts of the DR that we would never have found if we had rented a car. JJ is probably one of a very few Dominican taxi drivers who does not drink at all. He is reasonably priced (very comparable to renting a car with insurance) and has a large van that is perfectly maintained. You are completely safe and comfortable at all times

lilredrooster

Aug 12, 2006
If, at a future time, you know whether it is the same JJ you are welcome to restate your comments; until then your comments are unwarrented as you have no idea to whom you are addressing them.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I can vouch for JJ as a decent pleasant man.
He and his wife have joined us for meals and they are both enjoyable people.
He has brought many clients here from STI airport and everybody was pleased.
Never once a bad remark.

Edited by Gregg. As posted it lost it's meaning as a prior posting has been removed. If the poster objects to what remains please contact me and I will amend or delete.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I have recommended JJ to numerous tourists and have ONLY had positive comments about every facet of the experience - and I only began recommending him after using his services personally as I flew into STI last October.

They support us at Beyond the Beach too and they approached us - we did not approach them; how good does it get.

Gregg

B

batich

Amazing!

From POP airport to Sosua trip is 7 minutes only. 20 dollars means $3 per minute. More expensive than in Manhattan.

Just amazing.

Anyway, I always give to driver 350 pesos without asking questions and he seems to be happy.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Amazing!

From POP airport to Sosua trip is 7 minutes only. 20 dollars means $3 per minute. More expensive than in Manhattan.

Just amazing.

Anyway, I always give to driver 350 pesos without asking questions and he seems to be happy.
My guess is they established a minimum fare to make it worthwhile for the driver that has to give up his space in line.

I'm surprised that the accept 350RD (about $11US), when they have a posted fare of $20US.

B

batich

My guess is they established a minimum fare to make it worthwhile for the driver that has to give up his space in line.

I'm surprised that the accept 350RD (about $11US), when they have a posted fare of $20US.

Maybe because I promise him to call when I am leaving. And I always keep my word.

But anyway, I never paid more than 400 from airport to Sosua.

First time I did not have more pesos and driver accepted it.
So I realized that those prices are not set in stone.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Amazing!

Just amazing.

Not amazing since:
  1. Cost of vehicle higher than in the US
  2. Cost of fuel higher than in the US
  3. Cost of dead-heading back to airport.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
they always try to get 1100 pesos out of me from airport to del delfin. i guess i look too green or something ?

Sailor

Dec 15, 2006
they always try to get 1100 pesos out of me from airport to del delfin. i guess i look too green or something ?

Has anyone tried renting a car. Daily rentals for the week are about $250.00US and by far the easiest way to get around

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
And has anyone taken a public bus or any public transportation between the airport and Puerto Plata (or Playa Dorada, where I am heading) ? I guess it would be OK if the vehicle were starting regularly from the airport ("Airbus" or the like)... Or am I dreaming ?

Another question : are those taxi prices more or less similar for the return trip = Puerto Plata or Playa Dorada till the airport in my case, or cheaper the other way ?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
And has anyone taken a public bus or any public transportation between the airport and Puerto Plata (or Playa Dorada, where I am heading) ? I guess it would be OK if the vehicle were starting regularly from the airport ("Airbus" or the like)... Or am I dreaming ?

Another question : are those taxi prices more or less similar for the return trip = Puerto Plata or Playa Dorada till the airport in my case, or cheaper the other way ?

Dreaming - in Technicolor - LOL.

In order to take a public "bus" you have to schlep your luggage and yourself up to the main road (maybe 0.5 - 1.0 km.) in whatever heat and humidity exists depending on when you arrive. Then the "bus" will not have any facilities to handle your luggage so if it will fit in, it will be on your lap.

Not a great start to a vacation, IMHO. Spend the cash... Hint: the taxi rates are good for up to 4 passengers - try to share.

Rates are the same for the return - try to share again.

Gregg

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
FireGuy, thank you - I needed to be told and so, I'll try to find some people to share a taxi with, already on the plane from Brussels.

atomik

Feb 26, 2006
Europcar

Where can you rent a car with insurance for $250 a week?

I just got a deal from Europcar for five days rental with insurance, (tiny Hyndai compact with auto / a/c), for about $200. Pick up at Puerto Plata Airport.