Current Taxi Rates from POP Airport

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I just got a deal from Europcar for five days rental with insurance, (tiny Hyndai compact with auto / a/c), for about $200. Pick up at Puerto Plata Airport.

Is that with full insurance (CDW, tires, windshield, etc.)? If so that is a good deal for this time of year. The five day rental charge is for you having the car five days and paying four days rental or is it paying for five days rental.

Do you have a link as I would like to compare prices with my current reservation with Avis.

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
(Posted the same question in another thread before, but probably better place here) :
How long is the Playa Dorada, how many km or miles ?
Is there a map of the different hotels somewhere on the web ?
... Asking this, because my travel agent suggested that at the Puerto Plata airport, I board one of the buses picking up people who have booked for a week in a hotel with Jetair, transportation included ; I have only booked for the flight, then booked separately for only 2 nights on arrival at the Hotetur Dorado club, so I'd like to know where it is and if it is far from the other hotels...

Thanks in advance !

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
(Posted the same question in another thread before, but probably better place here) :
How long is the Playa Dorada, how many km or miles ?
Is there a map of the different hotels somewhere on the web ?
... Asking this, because my travel agent suggested that at the Puerto Plata airport, I board one of the buses picking up people who have booked for a week in a hotel with Jetair, transportation included ; I have only booked for the flight, then booked separately for only 2 nights on arrival at the Hotetur Dorado club, so I'd like to know where it is and if it is far from the other hotels...

Thanks in advance !
It probably won't work. The transfers are provided by private companies which collect transfer vouchers from the passengers and then present them to the tour operator for payment. Unless you have a voucher (coupon), you probably won't be able to get on onew of the buses unless your able to negotiate an under the table payment with the transfer rep and the driver.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Howmar is correct, you can't take another companies transfer bus. So, take a taxi.

Playa Dorada complex is about 1.5 KM in a horseshoe shape. All the hotels are easy walking distance.

CasaValeria

Nov 22, 2006
Hello,you can phone Joaquin 1809 2653739 or 1809 5740175 he is super nice person and have a very good price.

Hastapronto

Jan 19, 2007
Why do you need a car in Sosua at all I wonder??! It is the smallest place one can imagine. With everything within a short walking distance.*************************
Is that with full insurance (CDW, tires, windshield, etc.)? If so that is a good deal for this time of year. The five day rental charge is for you having the car five days and paying four days rental or is it paying for five days rental.

Do you have a link as I would like to compare prices with my current reservation with Avis.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
if i want to go out at night in puerto plata, how much will a taxi charge me ? are night rates any different than day rates ?? cristals, boheim, etc...a monger's night out...:laugh:

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
From POP to Sosua they have you over a barrel unless you want to walk down to the road & get transport there (I would do this, but not so easy with big suitcases or 2.4 children).

From Sosua to the airport, if you go up to the main road and negotiate with the independent taxis you can get it down to about $5 - still not back for 7 mins work and more in line with what the locals pay.

Better still take a shared taxi from next to the Texaco station - they're the ones with the red signs on the roof. I paid 30 pesos which is high (it's the fare to Puerto Plata). Make sure the driver is willing to drive up to the airport. You can do this the other way, but unless you're very lucky you will have to walk to the road.

icecold

Jul 3, 2007
I have been reading the boards lately, last night one of my friends tells me its not safe to get a taxi from POP to Playa Dorada, is that true? Are the posted rates still good? Is it better to get a taxi with a group of people ?

icecold

Jul 3, 2007
lady: can you pm me what sousataxi charges to go to playa dorada?

planner: does it matter if you are alone or with a group?

thanks everyone for the assistance

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
When taking a taxi from the airport you are perfectly safe by yourself. The price will not change and the taxi driver has too much at stake to risk it trying something with you.

If you are out and about by yourself you want to be more careful. I have names of several reliable taxi drivers here in PUerto Plata should you need one.

But from the airport - no problem at all.

icecold

Jul 3, 2007
actually i will - i am coming in on thursday names and prices of good drivers would be helpful...

thanks for your assistance

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Andre - 1-809-344-6836

Victor 1-809-761-4032

Manuel 1-809-727-9850

They are all in Puerto PLata / Playa Dorada area. They can bring you back to Playa Dorada but can not pick you up inside the area as there is a taxi union!

Darius3456

Oct 10, 2004
Per Person or Flat Rate

I need to ge to Puerta Plata from the Puerta Plata Airport. The listed rate is $30.00. I am assuming that is a flat rate for up to 4 passengers so that the passengers may split the $30.00 fee equallly. It is not a per person charge so that it is advantageous to look for other passengers going to Puerta Plata, is that correct?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I need to ge to Puerta Plata from the Puerta Plata Airport. The listed rate is $30.00. I am assuming that is a flat rate for up to 4 passengers so that the passengers may split the $30.00 fee equallly. It is not a per person charge so that it is advantageous to look for other passengers going to Puerta Plata, is that correct?

Correct.

Gregg

sosuaman

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 27, 2006
call up your favorite motoconch guy and have him meet you there ...as long as you travel light,,aka backpack only.. its 300 pesos...adios

sues36

Aug 20, 2007
We are arriving in Sept, staying in Puerto Plata. Is JJ available for a days touring? If so how much would this cost? In US$? RD$? Sterling? Whichever is best for him is fine with us. There are 4 of us from UK.