Denny's Closed Its Doors....

Sep 4, 2012
Fuddruckers as well.....Seems like a lot of restaurants are starting to disappear now-at least in SD.

Fuddruckers burguers and shake are amazing. The ladies there also put up a decent show, the location and the establishment were first class. Its obvious matter of affordability and this restaurant didn't have a chance to survive in DR.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Hahahaha!

How many could actually walked into Dennys or any other American fast food place and afford the prices to be paid in the DR, folks from Gualey?

Have you driven around Santo Domingo ? Lots of money, people just dont waste it on mediocre foreign food that they can eat when they are visiting Florida. Does every Sushi, Mexican, Caribean restaurant last in your home town ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ever notice how the pica pollo places don't fry chicken breasts, only thighs, legs and wings? The will fry breast strips and sell them separately, but not the whole breast. I wish they would sell a 4-pc that includes all four pieces...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
For those in Santo Domingo.
you should try Lincoln Road
great burgers, great ribs. service is normally top notch.
Has been around since the mid 1990's

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Have you driven around Santo Domingo ? Lots of money, people just dont waste it on mediocre foreign food that they can eat when they are visiting Florida. Does every Sushi, Mexican, Caribean restaurant last in your home town ?

Dennys business model wasn't thought about having Santo Domingo on mind. La Fe, San Carlos, Villa Juana, etc, aren't exactly the epitome of money, are they?

Now, if they residents of those barrios get to visit Florida so they can eat mediocre food when they want to, please tell me what Santo Domingo is it you are dreaming of?

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Dennys business model wasn't thought about having Santo Domingo on mind. La Fe, San Carlos, Villa Juana, etc, aren't exactly the epitome of money, are they?

Now, if they residents of those barrios get to visit Florida so they can eat mediocre food when they want to, please tell me what Santo Domingo is it you are dreaming of?

Naco, Pantene, Arroyo Hondo, Bella Vista is more what they had in mind. you won't find any McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell, in the areas you mentioned either.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!

Denny's was located in Naco. There is plenty of money there. The other location was the conde where there are tons of tourists. Location was not an issue.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Denny's was located in Naco. There is plenty of money there. The other location was the conde where there are tons of tourists. Location was not an issue.

Actually I find that the El Condo location was the issue. Nobody knew it was there. It was hidden at the end with terrible signage. At night it was very dark in the outside patio. I don't think many people cross that road to get to the other side. You put that Denny's in the middle near Pollo Rey and it would be busy. Money on El Conde isn't an issue with all those tourists.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010

I have been in poorer countries in Latin America where people are poorer and there is not the same level of affluence as there is in Santo Domingo. Fast food and american themed restaurants are incredibly popular there even in neighborhoods similar to La Fe, Villa Juana etc.

Dominicans just aren't that into it and spend their money elsewhere. Not an income, standard of living issue.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I have been in poorer countries in Latin America where people are poorer and there is not the same level of affluence as there is in Santo Domingo. Fast food and american themed restaurants are incredibly popular there even in neighborhoods similar to La Fe, Villa Juana etc.

Dominicans just aren't that into it and spend their money elsewhere. Not an income, standard of living issue.

But they rather just take a flight to Florida to eat mediocre foreign fast food at will, what happened to that statement of yours?

Where is the monies you alleged to in the barrios I mentioned?

Not an income, standard of living issue, really?

People here make just about and in most cases less than $200.00 dollars a month and its your claim that it isn't an income issue?

Ha! :cheeky:

Apr 7, 2014

Even further, just like us, IF they ever got to Florida they would eat the same stuff they eat when they are at home, rice and beans, plantains, mangu, pollo and yuca. None of which is on any Dennys menu. They wouldnt even go to Dennys prefering to support their own ethnic eating places in the new environment.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Even further, just like us, IF they ever got to Florida they would eat the same stuff they eat when they are at home, rice and beans, plantains, mangu, pollo and yuca. None of which is on any Dennys menu. They wouldnt even go to Dennys prefering to support their own ethnic eating places in the new environment.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

Oh yes they did. One of their misguided attempts to grab the market, at ridiculous prices.

I was a regular at Denny's when they opened. I went every Sunday morning for months.

Every Sunday I'd order grits with my eggs. "We don't have grits" they'd say. You'd think they'd catch on after a while, but they never did. I brought little envelopes of grits you mix with a cup of hot water. "We can't do that."

I'd order biscuits and gravy. "We don't have that" I'd say "You have biscuits, right?" "Yes"

I'd say "You have chicken fried steak with gravy, right" "Yes"

"So bring me biscuits with the gravy from the chicken fried steak." They did, but brought the chicken fried steak too. And charged me for it.

Then they eliminated the Chicken Fried Steak from the menu.

Some of the most popular Denny's items, and they didn't serve them.

We won't even talk about running out of hash browns every two weeks or so.

Every.Two.Weeks. Think about that.

I tried making comments and suggestions on their Facebook page. Over and over again.

I spoke to managers on a weekly basis. I even spoke to the owner a few times. Zero interest.

Instead, they decided to make it into a nightclub. A bar, disco lights, a DJ, and singers playing live music. In a Denny's.

Forgive me, but they deserved to shut down.

Last edited:

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
JD
in addition the chicken fried steak was not even cooked correctly when they did have it. or come to think of it any other item other than the egges.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Anyone one with a modicum of business acumen would recognize that supply chain management is going to be a nightmare in the DR if a business is dependent on foreign sourced raw materials for assembly in his country. Really large franchises like McDonald's has a global presence and a limited menu so they should be able to pull it off. Lessor chains like a Denny's or an IHOP will struggle if they can't smooth over the shipping and customs process to get their stuff here quickly, reliably and without delay 999 times out of 1000.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Oh yes they did. One of their misguided attempts to grab the market, at ridiculous prices.

I was a regular at Denny's when they opened. I went every Sunday morning for months.

Every Sunday I'd order grits with my eggs. "We don't have grits" they'd say. You'd think they'd catch on after a while, but they never did. I brought little envelopes of grits you mix with a cup of hot water. "We can't do that."

I'd order biscuits and gravy. "We don't have that" I'd say "You have biscuits, right?" "Yes"

"So bring me biscuits with the gravy from the chicken fried steak." They did, but brought the chicken fried steak too. And charged me for it.

I tried making comments and suggestions on their Facebook page. Over and over again.

I spoke to managers on a weekly basis. I even spoke to the owner a few times. Zero interest.

Instead, they decided to make it into a nightclub. A bar, disco lights, a DJ, and singers playing live music. In a Denny's.

HAHA

Reminds me of that Diner Scene in Five Easy Pieces with Jack Nicholson...
only Dominican Style
[video=youtube;6wtfNE4z6a8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8[/video]

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I went one time to Denny's in Bavaro. Just figured I would try breakfast because my cook was on vacation. Well I order a breakfast special. When it comes, no coffee. So I tell the girl I want coffee. She says that does not come with the order and is extra for 90 pesos or so. So I get it. Whole thing was the worst. Nothing was good. And the check was at least twice as much as you would pay in the US.

NEVER AGAIN FOR ME.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Anyone one with a modicum of business acumen would recognize that supply chain management is going to be a nightmare in the DR if a business is dependent on foreign sourced raw materials for assembly in his country. Really large franchises like McDonald's has a global presence and a limited menu so they should be able to pull it off. Lessor chains like a Denny's or an IHOP will struggle if they can't smooth over the shipping and customs process to get their stuff here quickly, reliably and without delay 999 times out of 1000.
Or buy in large quantities with adequate refrigerated/frozen warehousing...all of which cost large $$$.

I agree: supply chain management is most likely the culprit.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

[video=youtube;lK332QsfYRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK332QsfYRc[/video]