Denny's Closed Its Doors....

Apr 7, 2014
Like I said, supply chain managament: food comes in a box. Those boxes can't come by truck so JIT is not possible.

Subway in the DR, for example, invested in a large dry and cold/frozen storage facility to maintain consistent quality and quantity. That costs money.

Tell us about your restaurant ownership experience...
More pish posh. Most food isnt grown where the branch is so it is shipped by air, rail and truck. If Walmart can have stores in Mexico and McDonalds can have stores in Panama then the logistics have been covered. In fact there is a British chain called Chicken Cottage that has stores in the Middle East and parts of Asia. So it can be done functionally.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
More pish posh. Most food isnt grown where the branch is so it is shipped by air, rail and truck. If Walmart can have stores in Mexico and McDonalds can have stores in Panama then the logistics have been covered. In fact there is a British chain called Chicken Cottage that has stores in the Middle East and parts of Asia. So it can be done functionally.

The Thermoquad Cowboy
I never said the logistics aren't covered or cannot be done. Au Contraire.

I said they are not employed.

Big difference.

That's a management decision and may have proven costly. Shipping containers by air is prohibitively expensive, even if broken down by unit. Shipping by water takes longer and is more complex. Then storage of large quantities is an issue.

Like I said: JIT is not possible to the DR, and JIT is what many low-margin restaurant chains depend on. For JIT to work in the DR, warehousing and local distribution is critical, and large stores of product required.

We are talking breakfast ingredients to a low-margin chain restaurant, not lobsters to a bourgeoise eatery where price is rarely questioned.

Again: tell me of your restaurant ownership experience.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Dominicans don't eat cornflakes. How are the supposed to pay up for a Denny's breakfast?
No- a fried empanada and cafecito at the corner for $50 pesos... maybe, perhaps, ....

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Dominicans don't eat cornflakes. How are the supposed to pay up for a Denny's breakfast?
No- a fried empanada and cafecito at the corner for $50 pesos... maybe, perhaps, ....

Dominicans eat cornflakes, but without milk.

Reactions: JD Jones

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Some of you guys must be really bored. Youll fight over the dumbest things. It's not that serious people.

The two posters above are actually disagreeing over agreeing, rather than agreeing to disagree. They are practically asserting the same point.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The two posters above are actually disagreeing over agreeing, rather than agreeing to disagree. They are practically asserting the same point.
Not really.

Every try to get consistent supply through ports in the DR without significant issues? To simply say "look, the Brits send stuff to the ME and WalMart has stores in Mexico" belies the difficulty of supply chain management to the DR.

Been there.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Brugers etc

I couldn't have happened to a healthier type of food. 

It couldn't have happened to a nicer type of food I meant to say. I was trying to be funny. I love burgers and if I am in the US visiting I always have a burger one day and a steak the other. But when I am back home in the DR I avoid it. I think the euphoria over American food and chains is not so strong anymore in the DR. The young people in the DR are more health conscious and aware that Dominican food is really much better and healthier. You dont see a line of cars when some chain joint opens. In the US there is now a Danish chain opening all over the place. Joe and the Juice. I went to the same school as the owner in Denmark. I wonder if they will come to the DR. 

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Or buy in large quantities with adequate refrigerated/frozen warehousing...all of which cost large $$$.

I agree: supply chain management is most likely the culprit.

I disagree. My money is on the Dominican mentality.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Dominicans eat cornflakes, but without milk.

No, they eat Zucaritos....

BTW, I can see most of you don't live in SD. Go to Agora or any of the other big malls on a weekend and see the lines at the Fast Food places.

Carl's went under because of prices, but Wendy's, McDonalds and BK hold their own. And Jade? No way I'll wait in that line.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
No, they eat Zucaritos....

BTW, I can see most of you don't live in SD. Go to Agora or any of the other big malls on a weekend and see the lines at the Fast Food places.

Carl's went under because of prices, but Wendy's, McDonalds and BK hold their own. And Jade? No way I'll wait in that line.

Exactly, don't need to go to the Mall just go to any McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut and the people aren't buying off the $1 menu.

If you do go to Agora on a Sunday you will be very lucky to find an empty table. I tried that once and never again. I thought Dominicans went to the beach on Sundays. Only the ones that don't go fast food eating at the malls.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want food poisoning go to Jade. One eggroll got me over there.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017

Express jade by the monument in Santiago?
I eat the eggrolls there about once a month for lunch with the sweet and sour chicken special...thank God never any issues!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Express jade by the monument in Santiago?
I eat the eggrolls there about once a month for lunch with the sweet and sour chicken special...thank God never any issues!

I think Sky is talking about Jade Teriyaki which is more of a fast food joint as compared to Jade by the monument which is sit down A/C dining.

I have eaten at both and Jade by the monument is OK, but Jade Teriyaki I like.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Isn’t the Chinese restaurant next to Ferriteria Americana on JFK also called Jade?  Enjoyed their food.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Isn’t the Chinese restaurant next to Ferriteria Americana on JFK also called Jade?  Enjoyed their food.

Yes, that would be the one in the Galeria 360 complex which I think is the same Jade as the one by the monument in Santiago.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Me thinks...………

Jade Teriyaki - fast food
Expresso Jade - fast food
Jade - sit down order from menu

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am talking about Jade, the one in Bavaro. To me they are all the same. Garbage..................

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Exactly, don't need to go to the Mall just go to any McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut and the people aren't buying off the $1 menu.

If you do go to Agora on a Sunday you will be very lucky to find an empty table. I tried that once and never again. I thought Dominicans went to the beach on Sundays. Only the ones that don't go fast food eating at the malls.

Pizza Hut on El Conde is really busy at times and it's mostly Dominicans....and Pizza Hut isn't cheap.