Deslindes will be mandatory beginning April 2009

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
just for an idea on cost, I got 2 survey's done on properties, the cost was 218,000 for both inc the completed registration. I was a bit cynical on the costs until I received the copy documentation, the detail and accuracy of the survey was second to none inc tiny offsets in the boundaries were all referenced and measured to the millimetre. I wasn't in the country when this was done, but hats off to the solicitor who did the work for us. The down side was it took almost 2 years to complete and I thought on more than one occaision I had been gazumped !!

Still if it is worth waiting for .............

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Fridadesai,
leave questinable attorney promoting out of this serious thread.
yes Bayaguanaman,
they are very accurate and once done there's no attorney needed in case somebody moves a fence, the data is GPS data and can not be ''moved'' anywhere, lol.

hey,
your bordname shows you have property in Bayaguana??
it is a great area, i have family and also property in the area myself,
one of my 2 future retirement places once i finish with the work in Bavaro/Punta Cana.
it is a great area with good people in the 'hood.
good luck there
Mike

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio - very interesting thread but could you give a similar summary for the Sanamiento process. I understand that it is kind of similar but has some differences.

May 29, 2006
what happens in esp rural areas when there is a boundary dispute? My dad's property in NY is still marked by 100 year-old maple trees for many of the borders, an old barbed wire fence, and a stone wall. We can use GPS because the tax maps are accurate and there is a law about building within 10 ft of a property line. If you've ever try to walk a property line, it can be pretty challenging esp if there are trees and undergrowth...

M0823MIKE

May 19, 2006
What is the approximate cost of this process or what is the formula for determining the cost. (In my case if all one has is a parcel number and documetation from the local ayuntamiento)?

P

poponlaburra

My neighbor started building a passage-stairs-then building on top of it right on the deslinde! They said that that someone in the ayuntamiento said it was ok as long as it was a cover corridor? but then they started builidng on top of this stairway. I have a lawyer and surveyor involved, my surveyor is not ht best. I've been asking for a true dimension of each deslinde and have taken him almost two years to come up with it!

Any body know of a good reasonable surveyor in Puerto Plata?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Deslinde – Cost and time
There have been a number of posts on the subject of cost and time taken to get a deslinde, (Pepe 16/09/2009, Jrhart 2/12/2009; Eddy 2/12/2009; Bayaguanaman 9/04/2010; MO823Mike 29/04/2010) but there is such a wide range both of cost and time taken that it is hard to identify what the cost or time taken really is.

I ask this because I am about to start this process.
The specific questions are:
1) What should be the cost of obtaining a Deslinde? It is a fairly standard process so it should be about the same all over by now. This would include lawyers fees and registering the Deslinde with the Registry.
2) What should be the time scale? This would include Courts approval and issue of final documents from the court?

Thanks for your help

Olly

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The deslinde requirement will not apply to the sale of condos which were previously approved without a deslinde.

Fabio, it is not clear to me what this means. Are you saying old, established condominiums, like El Neptuno, don't need a deslinde, or that apartments in such a condominium don't need a deslinde?

Someone was here today talking about a neighbor getting a deslinde. He said we will need one and the apartments will need one. So clarification is needed.

Of interest, he said he didn't think more than 10-12% of the property had obtained a deslinde.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, got my answer in a conversation with Julio Brea, the manager of the Sosua office of Fabio's law firm. El Neptuno, where I live, does not need a deslinde. Only new condominiums, not old condominiums like ours.

This is not what somebody from Santiago told us yesterday, but most likely he was trying to drum up work.

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Ok, got my answer in a conversation with Julio Brea, the manager of the Sosua office of Fabio's law firm. El Neptuno, where I live, does not need a deslinde. Only new condominiums, not old condominiums like ours.

This is not what somebody from Santiago told us yesterday, but most likely he was trying to drum up work.

Thank you Ken2,
I have been wondering the same thing for some time now. So just to clarify; I have a condo in Cabarete in the Renaissance complex and as such I do not need a deslinde for my unit?

CW

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you Ken2,
I have been wondering the same thing for some time now. So just to clarify; I have a condo in Cabarete in the Renaissance complex and as such I do not need a deslinde for my unit?

CW, I don't know the Renaissance complex so can't understand it. But what I understand that when it was passed it was for future condominiums, not old ones like El Neptuno where I live.

According to a post by Fabio in the thread, the law went into effect in April 2007. Whether it was for condos after that, I don't know. All I know for sure is that it does not apply to us. El Neptuno is about 25 years old.

How old is the Renaissance complex?

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
I am familiar with El Neptuno. It's a very nice complex. I stayed there the first time I came to the DR. Thanks for the reply.

CW

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
so, where would i find information regarding government issue land,..........I have been looking at some plots but no deslinde.

I dont want to buy without deslinde, but some people tell me that it is normal in the countryside.

advice please.

dave

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
You can buy without deslinde but will need it to transfer fully to your name..you will not get property transferred in your name till deslinde is done .. It gps survey of property especially land you want it..... Erect fence up on your land if you buy it so no screws with you...

Last edited:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Pretty much either your lawyer handles it (better idea) then lawyer of the person your buying from (gives you more control of final...) deslinde takes 6months - 2yr..... They are busy since implementation I believe in 2009 it started.. I'm feshly tru the process myself of buying place....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
After seeing what goes on in some places, I'd never buy anything without a deslinde. We bought our property long before they existed (1978) and it's been a nightmare getting them. We have two conjoined parcels, the first has been in process for 18 months and the second, inside our walls, they tell us someone else claimed. This despite our paperwork that is almost 40 years old, and the family we bought it from still live nearby

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
After seeing what goes on in some places, I'd never buy anything without a deslinde. We bought our property long before they existed (1978) and it's been a nightmare getting them. We have two conjoined parcels, the first has been in process for 18 months and the second, inside our walls, they tell us someone else claimed. This despite our paperwork that is almost 40 years old, and the family we bought it from still live nearby

That's reason deslinde was brought in to stop this from happening...buying any land without one can be nerve racking that's why they tell you if you buy land put fence up fast!! Creates a that's mine mentality... Back log with deslinde was Everyone thought of here's another law going to be forgotten in 6 months ...its here to protect you so now everyone rushing to get hence back log. Hey this system ain't perfect at least they are trying....:)