Domestic Abuse by Dominican Men this year

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sloppy Disposal

(...) but the death is a new one, normally there are no attempts to hide the body.
Well, you can say they are not good at it (either) or simply do not care.
But there were cases of bodies stuffed in 'tinacos', 'septicos', 'zafacones', 'maletas', .....

donP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Not only in Latin cultures children are expected to support the parent(s) in their older ages, sort of a solution for the missing social security schemes.
So, in your cited case the woman's life plan somehow worked for her, didn't it?

donP

well, she just turn 49 and he has been paying the rent for at least five years so i do not consider that old age

it worked out for HER

maybe

her daughter resents her

she is not fulfilled

i think her son is going to get ****ed when he figures out that he can;t afford his new old car

seems a root of violence to me

and not such a great example

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
i know a woman... educated, decent, good family from the campo. had two kids unmarried... and ok. it is ok to do that. But what I find odd and different is that the son pays for the rent of the house.. now, ok, lots of folks chip in... but she does not work anywhere near her capacity... says she has to be at home with the girl, the son goes to school, has a job at a bank, and pays the 3000 pesos rent on the house.

i do not recall ever running across any sort of arrangement like that before... perhaps it is normal in Latin cultures?

My brother in law left school at 14 to go to work and support his mother, now 19 drives a taxi and supports and lives with his mother. Same as the cousins next door, the two boys are 14 and 15, left school to go to work as moto conchos, to support the mother and sister.
its pretty normal, in our family anyway, the boys go out, all the men work, the women are either in education or stay home cook and talk a lot. It works really well, the whole family live as neighbours, 5 houses, men leave at 630 every morning and the women just do stuff till the evening, what I'm not sure exactly, but it works and is expected.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
How to you conclude a root of violence from that? I'm not sure I understand your point.

if i were the boy child, i would resent it

if i were the girl child, who is being used for a resedencia in the usa, so that she can go and send home remesas to the mom, i would resent it

the father of the girl married a puerto rican despite the ongoing torrid love affair with the Dominican mother.... just to get the visa, you know? the daughter will get the visa over his other 4 boy children.

so the girl gets sent back to the states every year to stay in a Domincan barrio all alone with TV

so she can maintain her status

and this is an upright sort of thing, it seems here....

to me, it smacks of child trafficking

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
exactly - the whole 'Violencia contra la mujer' is a nonsense agenda

In a Country with violence is so extreme, that you can get killed by strangers if some one says "ladron" and the focus is on the disproportionate small % numbers of gender crimes. and that this women choose to be with violent crazies... Like Kdolo said said is an agenda

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

My brother in law left school at 14 to go to work and support his mother, now 19 drives a taxi and supports and lives with his mother. Same as the cousins next door, the two boys are 14 and 15, left school to go to work as moto conchos, to support the mother and sister.
its pretty normal, in our family anyway, the boys go out, all the men work, the women are either in education or stay home cook and talk a lot. It works really well, the whole family live as neighbours, 5 houses, men leave at 630 every morning and the women just do stuff till the evening, what I'm not sure exactly, but it works and is expected.

how is this gonna work with the high percentage of women in university now? are they going to stay at home as well?

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Every one has an opinion on this domestic violence thing..as a latino (born and raised) I was personally never exposed to any of it...But you could say...is low self esteem problem or better education so women could be strong and independent or better yet..lets put all this people in jail, 0 tolerance. BUT.. if you like violent psychos..and keep going back to them after a wooping..none of that is going to help

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
if i were the boy child, i would resent it

if i were the girl child, who is being used for a resedencia in the usa, so that she can go and send home remesas to the mom, i would resent it

the father of the girl married a puerto rican despite the ongoing torrid love affair with the Dominican mother.... just to get the visa, you know? the daughter will get the visa over his other 4 boy children.

so the girl gets sent back to the states every year to stay in a Domincan barrio all alone with TV

so she can maintain her status

and this is an upright sort of thing, it seems here....

to me, it smacks of child trafficking

I am with Givadogahome on this one....

Child trafficking ??!!!:rolleyes:

These are things that people who want to get out of poverty do. It is not a Dominican thing and certainly not root for Violence on Women. Things that YOU, as a lucky westerner :), resent are motivated by your upbringing. In many cultures, going abroad to support, family left back home is NOT cause for resentment, quite the contrary.

The only resentment I see is the Puertorican women used for papers.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
how is this gonna work with the high percentage of women in university now? are they going to stay at home as well?

I think things are bound to change. The young girls in our family [Santo Domingo] are all either in college or have graduated. They are independent and different from their mothers and aunts. The graduates have good jobs, even the ones in college are also working. One niece is a law student, and is also working in a law office as an assistant. Her brothers? One dropped out of school at 16, spends his time dancing in the streets. The other finished high school but couldn't pass the final test - but he had 'connections' and has a good job in a law office. Other niece is child of two college grads with advanced degrees, she's finishing college soon. Her brother is an engineering student, her sister has graduated and has a job she loves in SD. None of these girls will sit home and do nothing.

Now, in the campo where our house is, even they are educating their girls. The butcher across the street from us has a lovely daughter who is now 17. He sent her to school in SD to learn to do nails, and let me tell you she's great at it and has her own little one room place attached to his shop. She's independent and making a good living - and ALSO going to university too. She came to our house to give us pedicures, showed up with all professional tools and Bath & Body works soaps and creams. I'd bet money that this girl will do something with her life. And God help the guy who thinks he can bully her - you should see the shoulders and arms on her papa.

i am not suggesting that a family structure that works be disrupted... but if a man is still supporting his mother.. how does he get a wife? where are the dad's and what is their responsiblity?

That's a great question. I think it will take several more generations before that changes in many families. There isn't a lot expected of most of those dads, and not a lot happens to them if they don't support their wives/kids. Not like the US where their butts would end up in jail for non-payment of child support.

I do see changes though, just not fast enough.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
100 women murdered by their partners or ex partners thus far this year...

100 hundred women murdered in a population of ....9 million people - is a national emergency ?????

As a Man who has raised 4 Daughters I must speak to this. It so trivialized the root problem of violence against Women that it reminds me of 1950's politicians in the US saying "What race problem?"

For every one of those (only?) 100 deaths how many severe beatings were endured? (1,000?)

How many "routine" beatings? (10,000?)

How many smacks? (100,000?)

How many times was the fear of violence experienced by these Women with all the accompanying emotional damage that entails? (1,000,000?)

You like BIG NUMBERS to bring a point to clarity for you?

I'll give you one: <1

That's the number of Women who should live in fear of the so-called MEN who are supposed to cherish and protect them. When I was in high school in NYC many Moons ago I had a (Latin) GF about whom I was pretty serious until one day when she told me that if I don't hit her once in awhile it meant that I don't really "love" her. That's the last conversation we ever had. Let a guy even scare one of my Daughters, hear? I just hope for his sake that I get to him before my Son does.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well, you can say they are not good at it (either) or simply do not care.
But there were cases of bodies stuffed in 'tinacos', 'septicos', 'zafacones', 'maletas', .....
donP

hiding the body? normal. but hatching it into pieces? this is seriously hard work. and time consuming. different matter than killing someone in a fit of passion.