Domestic Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I do not understand why peoples, use the "cultural thing" to saythat it is aceptable to hit a woman. There should be no excuse to hit a woman period.

?There should be no excuse to hit a woman period?. If you think a crased woman with a knife, broken bottle, ect.. coming at you, possibly for your life and there is no excuse to hit her - period? you need to die!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
?There should be no excuse to hit a woman period?. If you think a crased woman with a knife, broken bottle, ect.. coming at you, possibly for your life and there is no excuse to hit her - period? you need to die!

I guess this should be the exception.

Sep 19, 2005
Bob, wtf? It is not 'part of the culture' any more than it is part of the culture in any other country. It is a social problem, caused by a range of factors that Dominicans themselves recognise needs to be addressed. Just like it needs to be tackled, to a lesser or greater extent, in practically every country on earth.

with all due respect a social problem does not have the same description in every country..period...no matter how you think you have laid down the law.

sure the DR isnt some obscure off the wall country with super weird rituals....but what happens in the DR was a development of its culture... and domestic vilonce was common...sure the ones at the short end of the stick didnt like it from the get go.

but as many here know...even the women getting abused sometimes think it is part of life...why??not because they didnt hear YOUR speach!!!!

because they learned life the way they only knew how living it and seeing it all around them.

again I am not promoting it...I am just trying to convey a view that these things are greater than any individual's PERSONAL agenda.

but if you want to be mad at me, because i have my eyes open..that is your choice...I wont be mad backthough just for that!! ha ha

bob

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Dejame explicartelo.....

Bob, wtf? It is not 'part of the culture' any more than it is part of the culture in any other country. It is a social problem, caused by a range of factors that Dominicans themselves recognise needs to be addressed. Just like it needs to be tackled, to a lesser or greater extent, in practically every country on earth.
Chiri, the problem with SOME of these people is that they are like robots....They are programmed to think one way and one way alone!.

SOME of these people see the Dominican Republic throught the eyes of Dominicans they met "yesterday". They think that because they have been visiting the DR for "2 days" that they know what the DR is all about.....

Little do they know that this problem have been in the DR for GENERATIONS and that for GENERATIONS there have been people fighting against such problem!!.

It's NOT a fricking culture thing because the Dominicans I select as my friends DO NOT hit women!!. Nor ANY member of my Dominican family living in the DR!.

I, for one, do NOT give a crap if people don't get involved.

As long as I am, that's what matters to me!.

Last edited:

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002

Diferrent situation, i am talking about a men for no apparent reason hit a woman just to feel superior......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
with all due respect a social problem does not have the same description in every country..period...no matter how you think you have laid down the law.

sure the DR isnt some obscure off the wall country with super weird rituals....but what happens in the DR was a development of its culture... and domestic vilonce was common...sure the ones at the short end of the stick didnt like it from the get go.

but as many here know...even the women getting abused sometimes think it is part of life...why??not because they didnt hear YOUR speach!!!!

because they learned life the way they only knew how living it and seeing it all around them.

again I am not promoting it...I am just trying to convey a view that these things are greater than any individual's PERSONAL agenda.

but if you want to be mad at me, because i have my eyes open..that is your choice...I wont be mad backthough just for that!! ha ha

bob
You are basing your insulting assumptions on what?
I have never made any speeches to any Dominicans about domestic violence. Not to the Dominicans who make up Profamilia, Mujer y Salud, CMC, the ministry for women, the procaduria de mujeres, etc. etc.

Having visited poor communities for over a decade and having a total command of the language I just happened to absorb the fact that when they spontaneously provide a list of what they see as their main social problems, domestic violence is usually up there.

Sep 19, 2005
I dont know what you consider my "insults"..

I am sorry if that is how you read my post.

I did quote you ,because you spoke directly to me..

the terms your and personal that I highlighted apply to all those who feel like you do...

youn people have a strong agenda...somehow this aspect of life is a sore spot for you...many people have the r own personal agendas...

some fight alcohol abuse, some fight drug abuse, some fight domestic violence, some fight corruption...these thing sacan be huge drivers in some peoples lives...so when people like me who dont have an agenda...try to engage in talk about these subject...we get attacked for having a NON CONFORMING view???

chill...I dont see it like you do.

I believe that people should live their life in their own country with out interference for the most part....I am not talking genocide...

but things that have been accepted for generations and generation in those places...

bob

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I dont know what you consider my "insults"..
It is kind of insulting to be told my eyes are not open when my eyes have witnessed a broad spectrum of Dominican life over ten years of working and living here, and my ears have heard many voices at all levels of Dominican society - ordinary Dominican people, Dominican lawyers, Dominican campaigners, Dominican politicians, Dominican journalists - define this as a social problem that needs to be tackled.

Get it? Not foreigners imposing their agenda, not me preaching, but Dominicans, as part of their development as a society, realising that certain problems exist and have to be tackled.

I am sorry if that is how you read my post.

I did quote you ,because you spoke directly to me..
I know you don't mean it personally because you come across as a kind person, but I think you get a little heated when it comes to what you consider 'political correctness'.

the terms your and personal that I highlighted apply to all those who feel like you do...

youn people
have a strong agenda...somehow this aspect of life is a sore spot for you...many people have the r own personal agendas...
OK, this bit needs clarification. Apologies if you edit and correct while I'm replying! Bolding mine - do you mean 'young people' or 'you people'?

some fight alcohol abuse, some fight drug abuse, some fight domestic violence, some fight corruption...these thing sacan be huge drivers in some peoples lives...so when people like me who dont have an agenda...try to engage in talk about these subject...we get attacked for having a NON CONFORMING view???

chill...I dont see it like you do.
Although I hold the view, as you claim to do, that domestic violence is wrong, I'm not a campaigner but a chronicler, and I report what I hear.

I believe that people should live their life in their own country with out interference for the most part....I am not talking genocide...

but things that have been accepted for generations and generation in those places...

bob
Again, no interference has taken place. Dominicans came to the realisation themselves. It may have been 'accepted by generations' but it was also 'accepted by generations' in our home countries until people woke up and started doing something about it. Why should the DR be different?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Pensandolo bien....

Chiri, you know what I was thinking?.

I was thinking if some of these people think it's accepted in the US to hit a woman?.

If it's in their culture?.

I mean, this same problem have been very "alive and well" here also, FOR EEEEVER.

And before they say "oooh, that's because Spanish people live in the US and they brought this problem with them"..., let me just say that one of my best friends is in charge of one of the Government most effective and famous "Battered Women" agency in the state and he, without getting into many specifics, says that most of the cases his office works with are those involving non-Hispanics.

Ummmm, makes you wonder if there's a "culture" here I know nothing about.

Bottom line is that when a loser, coward, prick, dummy, cartoon character, axxhole hits a woman, all he is doing is TRYING to feel superior to her.

I guess they need to feel superior to something as they are NOT men!!.

Go hit a concrete wall, axxhole!!.

Sep 19, 2005
at the risk of even staying in this thread...because it seems if I dont follow your exact line of thinking I am the enemy and that applies to chiri and miguel.

for one. my expressions have broaded out from just what Miguel is talking about...from hitting women to what men do to women in all aspects of life in other countries that modern educated people from more civilized nations would say is NOT acceptable.

I use the word CULTURE.. and maybe that isnt the best word...maybe it is a term like "aknowledged practice"...or any other word you would like to use that defines things that have happened over long periods of time specific to that location.

If chiri , you are saying that the DR is working to fix this issue...then you admit there is AN ISSUE to begin with....thus it is a "PROBLEM"...that has manifested itself over many generation in the DR! I dont deny they are working on it..even if i havent witnessed it.

we know from just this thread alone it is a real problem in the DR!!

Id say by comparison to other first world nations.. the DR is well behind.....in adressing this issue we speak of...taking no credit away from those working to solve it.

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
youn people have a strong agenda...somehow this aspect of life is a sore spot for you...many people have the r own personal agendas...

bob

Sore spot? You bet it is. It makes me crazy to hear or read things like this especially from a man. It's always been that way so let's keep the women stupid so they don't get too smart in case they learn to talk back or defend themselves.

Bob what personal agenda are you talking about? The agenda to educate women that it is not an acceptable form of love to be beaten on a regular bases? Things are changing in the DR, laws are in place and more people need to be educated about abuse.

If you want to leave this discussion the sooner the better.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay Dios.....

at the risk of even staying in this thread...because it seems if I dont follow your exact line of thinking I am the enemy and that applies to chiri and miguel.
I don't know if you have an inferiority complex or not but I don't think people are thinking you should follow Chiri's or mine "line of thinking".

You have your opinions and we have ours. As simple as that.

It's not ok to tell a person their opinions are wrong but it's ok to challenge said opinions when others think the other person is talking something MANY think it's not true.

I am the first one to admit this is a problem in the DR. BUUUT:

I will not say that it's in their culture or that people accept it because they are used to it.

NOBODY likes to get hit. Just because MANY do NOT have a way out does NOT mean that they like being hit or that they are used to it.

I don't know which Dominican Republic YOU know, but the Dominican Republic I know have been fighting this problems for as long as I have been alive......

And NOW, FINALLY, they are more vocal about it.

If this problem is a Dominican culture.....

Then, guess what.....EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD HAVE THIS CULTURE!. Period!.

Ooooh, and in case you have not read some of my posts: I DON'T CARE IF PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME OR NOT!!.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Let's just say we reached our lines of thinking based on different criteria, and with all due respect, I'm suggesting my criteria are a little more substantial than yours, based on the length of time I've been in the country, the work I do, my command of Spanish and the range of people I come into contact with.

for one. my expressions have broaded out from just what Miguel is talking about...from hitting women to what men do to women in all aspects of life in other countries that modern educated people from more civilized nations would say is NOT acceptable.

I use the word CULTURE.. and maybe that isnt the best word...maybe it is a term like "aknowledged practice"...or any other word you would like to use that defines things that have happened over long periods of time specific to that location.

If chiri , you are saying that the DR is working to fix this issue...then you admit there is AN ISSUE to begin with....thus it is a "PROBLEM"...that has manifested itself over many generation in the DR! I dont deny they are working on it..even if i havent witnessed it.

we know from just this thread alone it is a real problem in the DR!!

Id say by comparison to other first world nations.. the DR is well behind.....in adressing this issue we speak of...taking no credit away from those working to solve it.

bob
May I summarise then? As in the rest of the world, there is a problem. For many years it was accepted and ignored. Dominicans have recognised it and are trying to tackle it. The DR is not as far ahead in the process as most developed countries.

So where was the disagreement again? Oh, yes, 'us people' imposing our tiresome agenda on this PC-free haven that is the DR.:tired:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Let's all settle down a bit.
Lot's of good people risk being insulted.
Take an hour or two off.
The thread'll still be there later.
Ain't no sense losing some good friends over this.

Sep 19, 2005
I am not a professional speaker, nor do I care to spend hours forceing my view down others throats. Like happens here. And no I wont bother trying to explain who..if you can read you know who i am talking about.

I have a mind and I have info and I offer it here to help and be involved.

if you want people who think exactly like yourself talk to the mirror i guess.

I think any intelligent open minded person can see I am abdication violence against women.

I dont have personal problems with that,...I dont see any women being abused in my inner circle and I dont do it myself.

Like most people I can develop my own views on all issues in life.....

on an overall scale i generally have problems with people forceing their virews onother nations and I have an issue with people expecting other to live their life like they life theirs.

If you want to take a mispoken word or misplaced word or a missinterpretation and run as if that is my whole belief . You can do it , I cant stop you

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
that seems to be the bottom line everytime someone doesnt follow the pipers tune....

So let me get this straight. Bottom line what you are saying is that everyone should just mind their own business, close their eyes to what is happening in the Dominican Republic because this is how it's always been?

That women should not be educated that being beaten is not normal?

Is that what you are saying Bob? I just want to be clear in case I've misunderstood any of your posts in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.