Dominican Beauty Salons in Mesa, Arizona?

LAHAITIANA

Jun 28, 2009
I personally know melania!!

dominican hair salon by melania

salon boutique suite #20
5710 w. Bell rd. Glendale, az
(623) 986-1295

hours of operation are:
Monday-saturday 8-5 p.m.
Closed sunday
call melania to schedule an appointment at the # above

melania is great!!! I had lost her number and i'm so glad that someone posted her number. I had her old number.......thanks...rosie

Dominicanmexican

Jan 19, 2010
Melania is gona have a few more customers cuz I have extremely thick, curly hair and I'm one of the few Dominicans who doesn't know how to set rollers in my hair. I have a lot of problems with my daughters hair also and she is very self conscious so maybe I can now boost her confidence! YAY!!! Thank you allfor your helpful posts!!!!!

msosa

Feb 1, 2010
any luck yet

Im also looking I know there is this one place in Tucson that I read about but I have not found anythign here
I found a post on a dominican bar on sat I think I will go next week and see if I can find anyone that can hook it up

Please Help!

I moved to Arizona in July and still can't find a Dominican hair salon. For that matter, I just can't find any Dominicans. No offense to anyone but all hispanics that I've met are Mexicans. All the hispanic places I've gone to have Mexican hairstylists, and they seem so unsure as to how to do my hair. I need a relaxer badly, do I need to go back to New York?

redeemed1111 :cry:

atlsouthernbelle

Feb 10, 2011
Thaaanks!!!

Well for example:
1.- the girl that was doing my hair is an afro-american girl, she use to put the relaxer in my hair as she was putting a hair color with a brush, that use to burn my scalp right away I couldn't stand the relaxer more than 5 mins. and my hair is not that kinky and she was using a super strong relaxer in my hair.
2.- she didnt put the rollers in my hair, she comb it the way I wanted (the hair being wet yet) and put me under the hairdryer.
3.- instead of using a blower to do my hair, she used a hair iron and packed my hair with an oil or grease and my hair was all flat and not wavy.

My hair wasn't growing at ALL, and she just wanted to trim my hair because the ends were splitting, I wonder why :tired:.
NO OFFENSES TO ANYONE but to most of the black girls their hair don't grow that much, thats why they have to wear the hair extensions.

No offense taken! As an african american woman, I've seen that alot of our "hair stylist" practice more style than hair health. I wanted my hair to be healthy so I laid off of heavy product use yeeeaaars ago! My other black friends thought I was crazy because I refused to use hair gel, jam, spritz, or any other alcohol based product in my hair. Before I found Ella's salon in Atlanta 7 years ago, I would just pull my hair back into a pony tail. Once I found out about Dominican salons, I became addicted. I started using roundbrushhair.com to order products, and just took an interest in different techniques to make my hair healthy. Even though I love going to Dominican salons, I ran across a few in Atlanta that either didn't care what the outcome was like, or the amount of heat she used, or the way she treated their customers, as long as they paid her $$$...so with that being said, it's not just black stylist who don't do hair right. You'll find some who do practice healthy hair techniques. Just like not all dominican stylist will give you a perfect blow out. But I feel you! And I'm taking a vow to get off of that creamy crack! I've been in rehab for about 2 months now so wish me luck! And I will be trying out Melania this weekend thanks to this forum! Thank you ladies!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
No you should not. If you are new to this place, You may ask for someone's assistance who is living here already. Because this thing is out of question that there is no saloon like this in that city.

Bad advice, clearly you have never been to Arizona.

Jaine Blaize

Mar 14, 2008
Black Women Can Grow Hair (Ask Melania!)

Well for example:
1.- the girl that was doing my hair is an afro-american girl, she use to put the relaxer in my hair as she was putting a hair color with a brush, that use to burn my scalp right away I couldn't stand the relaxer more than 5 mins. and my hair is not that kinky and she was using a super strong relaxer in my hair.
2.- she didnt put the rollers in my hair, she comb it the way I wanted (the hair being wet yet) and put me under the hairdryer.
3.- instead of using a blower to do my hair, she used a hair iron and packed my hair with an oil or grease and my hair was all flat and not wavy.

My hair wasn't growing at ALL, and she just wanted to trim my hair because the ends were splitting, I wonder why :tired:.
NO OFFENSES TO ANYONE but to most of the black girls their hair don't grow that much, thats why they have to wear the hair extensions.

I know that this was posted along time ago but I felt that I needed to clarify a few things so that other black girls and women won't read what you said and think that it's true. Just to clarify, it's definitely NOT true that most Black women can't grow hair and that this is the reason why they wear extensions! Black women's hair grows just as well as anyone else's hair (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch a month). The reason why it doesn't appear to grow as fast is because;

1) when it's in its natural state its curlier and therefore appears shorter
2) most black women don't know how to take care of their hair because they haven't been taught and;
3) up until recently there haven't been many good products on the market specifically for that texture hair.

So because of all of that, some black women put the wrong products in their hair, put too much heat in their hair and do things that ultimately ruined their hair. Again, their hair still grows but due to the lack of knowledge that some have about hair, it breaks off faster which is one reason why they choose to wear extensions.

But just as there are African American women who don't know how to take care of their hair there are just as many Black women who have long hair because they know how to take care of it. You've probably passed a few black women in the street with their own long hair but because you think that black women can't grow hair you probably thought it was a weave when it was theirs all along! I know because now that my hair has grown out, I get "weave checked" all the time!! ;)

This is why hairdressers such as Melania are important to have.:) She shows both black women and Dominican women (who by the way have african blood in them too) how to take care of their hair so that their hair will retain its health and length without burdening it with too many products or worse - the wrong products!

Hopefully you will go to a dominican salon like Melania's some day (I'm talking to the person who said that black women can't grow hair) and then maybe you'll be more educated about black women and realize that your comment was not based on fact but based upon just another harmful stereotype.****

Last edited:

Jaine Blaize

Mar 14, 2008
No offense taken! As an african american woman, I've seen that alot of our "hair stylist" practice more style than hair health. I wanted my hair to be healthy so I laid off of heavy product use yeeeaaars ago! My other black friends thought I was crazy because I refused to use hair gel, jam, spritz, or any other alcohol based product in my hair. Before I found Ella's salon in Atlanta 7 years ago, I would just pull my hair back into a pony tail. Once I found out about Dominican salons, I became addicted. I started using roundbrushhair.com to order products, and just took an interest in different techniques to make my hair healthy. Even though I love going to Dominican salons, I ran across a few in Atlanta that either didn't care what the outcome was like, or the amount of heat she used, or the way she treated their customers, as long as they paid her $$$...so with that being said, it's not just black stylist who don't do hair right. You'll find some who do practice healthy hair techniques. Just like not all dominican stylist will give you a perfect blow out. But I feel you! And I'm taking a vow to get off of that creamy crack! I've been in rehab for about 2 months now so wish me luck! And I will be trying out Melania this weekend thanks to this forum! Thank you ladies!

@atlsouthernbelle - Off the creamy crack? WOW, I wish you much luck! If Melania has time, I will probably be up there this weekend as well! Maybe I'll see you there and you can catch me up on Atlanta because I sooooooo miss it! *sigh* I am almost thinking about moving back. Anywhere but Arizona will be ok right about now.:rolleyes: Anyway, good luck on your natural hair journey!!!!:)

~Jaine

Elder Ervin

Apr 20, 2012
I know this is an old post but did you find a Dominican hair salon in Mesa I too just moved here from NYC and I need it bad been doing it myself and it not anywhere near to my girl Mildred from NYC please help if you found one

Ramosacevedo

Jun 8, 2012
Hi all,
Is this contact info for Melania still accurate? I will be moving to Phoenix in 2 weeks and I want to make sure I can find a dominican stylist. I am coming from Fort Lauderdale, FL. and ofcourse there was an abundance of dominican salons.
Also, anyone know of any good dominican resturants in the area? Inbox me please!!!!
Thanks again...

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Why not try a black hair salon?
I am sure that they would be able to accomodate you way better than a Mexican salon?

Maybe maybe not. We live in Michigan when we're not in the Dominican Republic and have the same issue. There's none in Flint and only one Dominican Shop in Detroit, and the one in Detroit is always closed. My wife has gone to Mexican,Black and a lot of other hair salons between Detroit and Flint, and the result has always been the same. No one seems to know how to do her hair except Dominicans.

Elder Ervin

Apr 20, 2012
Hair needs help

Hi, my name is Indira and I've been in Mesa for 7 months now and I have found too many Dominicans to count and some slamming food too I even found a girl I went to PS 173 with in Manhattan. I know a few girls that get ther hair done by a a Dominican lady she doesn't have a Salon just a chair and products at home (just like in the Heights) :cheeky: . So drop me a line if you haven't found some one and I'll hook you up.

Take care, Indy

P.S. there is one thing I haven't found here:good looking Neuyoricans/Dominican Yorks, all the ugly ones I've seen...sorry :ermm:

:confused: Could you please tell me where the Dominican hair salon is please I too moved her from NYC

Alihana

Dec 17, 2012
www.youravon.com
Wish az wasn't such a culture shock

Hi still searching for a dominican hair stylist in the east valley. Would also love to find some pasteles, some things you can't live without.
Sincerely missing NY but love the lifestyle change half bori and domi