Dominican Color/Racial Preference Findings

What do you think about the results?

• Total voters

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well this one has really gone sideways... not to mention taking the low road for criticizing someone's employment.

BTW, I think the poll done in 95 is accurate based on my experiences.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You would like to think that but in reality everyone who lives in the DR knows that lighter is preferable to darker for the majority.
You just cannot get away from it.
That is colourism.
Period.

Keep coming up with threads to show that this is not true if you like but nobody is drinking the Kool-aid.

I love the DR and I love Haiti in a bitter sweet way, so what?
And yet, you react as if the possibility that belief is going to change is very real because on some internet board someone brings to light an old study with an interesting result. What are you so afraid of?

Argumentum Ad Populum

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And yet, you react as if the possibility that belief is going to change is very real because on some internet board someone brings to light an old study with an interesting result. What are you so afraid of?

Argumentum Ad Populum

Why would I be afraid of anything, please explain....

And every time you come up with a thread you hope will show that Dominicans are blah when really they are blah, so therefore blah, blah... actually I can't be arsed...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
-Sir Winston Churchill

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
But who were these questions being asked of?
Asking a black person if they'd have aproblem with a family member wouldhave different results than asking a WASP,I'd assume, so who were the responders in this phony poll?
Der Fish

Pay attention Derfish :)

OP explains it was 1,200 Dominicans who were polled. In DR. In 1995. Lots of water under the bridge in 17 years.....

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My interpretation of the results show that Dominicans are very racially tolerant looking at the majority of indifferent individuals asked.

The pollster who said that Dominicans are xenophobic is talking BS because they only used Haiti as the other country.

I bet you would get the exact same result if you asked the same questions to Cypriots with regard to the Turks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What's absurd is people who don't speak the language living here or abroad opining on this topic.
silly. what's spanish got to do with it? it's absurd that non-dominicans take part, maybe, since it was dominicans who were polled and it's their opinion that counts.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
silly. what's spanish got to do with it? it's absurd that non-dominicans take part, maybe, since it was dominicans who were polled and it's their opinion that counts.

I'm referring to gringos talking about Dominican culture and racism when the reality is the only things they know about Dominican culture is what they see or read as they have never actually had a conversation with one of the locals other than "mas cervesa".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
silly again. what does it matter what language you use to discuss the subjects? plenty of dominicans who speak perfect english/german/french and can hold a conversation with an inquiring gringo. but wait, i forgot, a gringo who speaks no spanish is a piece of trash who has no right to be here, no?
silly, silly, silly. there is probably a handful of gringos who arrived here already speaking spanish. they learnt the language and cultrure as they went. your constant silly pushing on how you speak espany and how other gringos don't and how you have a right to speak and other gringos don't is just silly.
and it's cerveZa, perfect spanish speaking smartypants.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
silly again. what does it matter what language you use to discuss the subjects? plenty of dominicans who speak perfect english/german/french and can hold a conversation with an inquiring gringo. but wait, i forgot, a gringo who speaks no spanish is a piece of trash who has no right to be here, no?
silly, silly, silly. there is probably a handful of gringos who arrived here already speaking spanish. they learnt the language and cultrure as they went. your constant silly pushing on how you speak espany and how other gringos don't and how you have a right to speak and other gringos don't is just silly.

In Spanish it is but in Dominican it's cervesa or zervesa depending on which school they went to. ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

First, I don't speak Spanish perfectly, my accent is quite noticeable, thank you.

Second, I am criticizing gringos who have visited the DR and even though they can barely ask for bread then have the gall to label Dominican culture as racist. This is a complex topic and one needs to live here for some time and see it from different angles to get a good perspective not to mention one needs to be able to listen and understand conversations and generally how people interact. Then too they should be versed in Dominican history, specifically the Haitian occupation and how much the Dominican have historically celebrated their independence from Haiti. Finally, one needs to have been here in the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake and seen all the news and radio reports and the outpouring of concern and help from Dominicans to then get an even better perspective.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chip, oh chip... i said this before and i will say it again: if people only spoke on subjects they have knowledge of the earth would be silent. speaking spanish or not, living in DR or not - does not stop people from having an opinion. and sometimes an insight of an outsider can be interesting and quite truthful, seeing things with a fresh eye, so to speak.
let them be.

more on topic: i do not know about the skin colour but hair seems to be of importance here: good hair, that is. a dominicana will show with pride a child of any shade as long as it has pelo bueno.
rasizm in DR? no more than what i see elsewhere. less so, maybe, because where i come from most people would not marry someone of a different race.